• This topic has 7 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    [size=12pt]Reconstruction of The Battle of Rozhanovce[/size]

Battle of Rozhanovce (Rozgony), Chronicon Pictum

Slovakia, then Kingdom of Hungary

The battle was fought between King Charles I of Hungary and the family of Palatine Amade Aba + major domestic opponent of king Mate Csak on June 15, 1312. After the Arpad dynasty died out in 1301, the succession to the throne of the Kingdom of Hungary became contested. The Pope's champion, Charles Robert of Anjou, finally drove his foreign opponents out of the country and was crowned in 1310. However, his rule remained nominal in many parts of the Kingdom because several powerful magnates still did not recognize him as the king. King's chief adversary was Mate Csak, who controlled 14 counties in western and north parts of the Hungarian Kingdom. He allied himself with the Aba family, who ruled eastern Hungarian Kingdom.
    Counties controlled by Mate Csak and Aba family are more or less identical with Slovakia, that's why they use double-cross on three mountains (look at the bottom of picture), while King Charles I of Hungary uses Arpad's stripes for lowland Hungary (look at the top of picture).

Strategy :

[img width=700 height=414]http://rozgony.info/wp-content/themes/battle-of-rozgony/pics/Picture%20-%20Map%20of%20Rozgony-2.jpg” />

Illustration (Mate Csak and his territory marked with flags) :

[img width=700 height=485]http://www.visittrencin.sk/sites/default/files/imce/u5/07A.jpg” />

Territory of Mate Csak (Matúšová zem) and Aba family (Omodejovci)

Reconstruction :

[img width=700 height=539]http://www.kosice.sk/docuStore_getById.asp?id=24785″ />

[img width=499 height=700]http://img.ephoto.sk/data/users/706/blog/adb368d764f6cfe9ea975f7430d01bbb70c1226a.jpg” />

Anonymous

so the king camped on hill above our village?
    hell yea!

BTW where they forgot horses? Cavalry without horses looks really weird. They could borrow them from horsekeepers in nearby villages  :D

Anonymous

…above our village? You mean above your village?  :D

There were some horses, but I wasn't there, therefore I don't know how many horses they had.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    so the king camped on hill above our village?
    hell yea!

BTW where they forgot horses? Cavalry without horses looks really weird. They could borrow them from horsekeepers in nearby villages  :D

I guess they ran out of money (economic world crisis and that kind of stuff ;D). Anyway good thread Svätoslava.

Anonymous

Ahh, I know this part (like all any others of the Hungarian Empire) of history. Even so Csák Máté's army lost this battle, Csák Máté was never defeated by hun King Károly… Only his death(Máté's) ended his rule…

Interesting that Slovaks call this period the first Kingdom of Slovakia, but Csák was a descendant of one of the original 7 leaders of hungarian tribes, so guess he was no, or just partly Slovakian… Well, Slovaks I guess were in a great territory, even on lands wich landed on transylvania, romania

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Interesting that Slovaks call this period the first Kingdom of Slovakia (..)

Csak dominion and the first Kingdom of Slovakia? No, I have never heard this. If you speak of early states of Old Slovaks (in Slovak Sloveni), you have to deduct few centuries.

Anonymous

does it matter? in the end? we were in one state…
    one state, many nations…

Anonymous

Magyars probably need a historical state to prove that they are some ancient people. Well, Kingdom of Hungary was a multi-ethnical state and anybody didn't care normally, what language did one speak, until rise of nationalism in the 19th century. People were either peasants or aristocrats, official language was Latin. I wouldn't say Kingdom of Hungary was Magyar state (just like Magna Moravia was not Moravian or Slovak state, it was Moravian-Slovak or Slovak-Moravian state), moreover in the Middle age Frankish chroniclers called Hungarian kingdom as one of Slavic states (yes, because of high percentage of the Slavs). So, after all a Hungarian was a member of nobility, later a Hungarian was a citizen of the Kingdom and after the revolution a Hungarian was a Magyar, but Magyars don't use word Hungarian in their native language. So, if someone claimed to be a Hungarian, it doesn't necessary mean he was ethnical Magyar (this is case of famous composer Franz Liszt, who was a Hungarian by citizenship, didn't speak Magyar language, his father was Slovak and mother German).

If anybody asks me : Are the Slovaks ancient nation? My answer would be : Yes, they are. All European nations are very old. Just have a look at embroideries on Slovak folk costumes – these symbols are obviously ancient. It's important to mention that they are ancestral. That is a nice proof. Germans haven't anything like that and nobody calls them as young artificial nation.

So, a nation does not need a state to be the ancient nation. Fundamental definition of the term nation is : nation has a common territory, language and culture. Nice example are Basque people.

Anonymous

Interesting thread. Valid points.  ;)

Anonymous

Great thread love the pictures.  Always intresting to learn something you have naver read about.

Anonymous

700th anniversary of battle
    15th june: ceremonial march of reenactors in košice, museum exposition in rozhanovce (i think)
    16th june: reenactment of battle at beniakovce (near rozhanovce, part of battlefield), exposition in medieval military camp, etc

i hope they finally get some hungarian missile cavalry (they cannot imitate charges anyway)
    is anybody of you going, by any chance ?  ;D ;D ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    i hope they finally get some hungarian missile cavalry (they cannot imitate charges anyway)

What a hell is that? :)

Anonymous

archers riding on horse, such cavalry was widely used in hungary in early and high medieval period
    currently reenactors have only this

and better map where the battle takes place (just change date and 699. to 700th anniversary)
    [img width=700 height=473]http://rozhanovce2011.sovinec.cz/mapa-kosice–bitva-rozhanovce2011.jpg” />

Anonymous

first parts of camp are already done

[img width=700 height=525]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/533376_3640456642878_124564574_n.jpg” />

come on! for me its 20 minutes riding bike downhill, it cant be much harder for you 

Anonymous

Ehh, too far away from here. So, enjoy it!  ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lyutenitsa
  • kony97
  • Piachu
  • БЕЗНОГNМ
  • Yung Slav
  • Kratos