• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello everyone, I am a reenactment enthusiast and I would like to learn about their typical clothes and armor, helmets, etc., between 8 and 13 century, various towns and villages Slavic sector.

if they can send pages or images of enthusiastic and historical reenactment groups would be helpful to me as well as images

best regards  ;D

Anonymous

I couldn't find any good pictures for the time period you're looking for, but I heard once that Slavic warriors in the 7th or 8th century bearly wore any armor, often not even shirts – when they went to battle. I'd be glad if someone could confirm this.  :)

Anonymous

iron was very hard to get in lands inhabited by slavs, so they mostly couldnt wear any armor and typical weapons were bow and arrow, small light axe or light spear, often with small light shield.
    richer warlords who could get into contact with germans sometimes could buy (although there was often embargo on selling weapons to barbarians), steal or scavenge some chainmail, heavier axes or even swords (swords were weapons of very rich elite).
    scandinavians too traded weapons and armor but i guess prices must have been pretty high, again probably only chieftains could afford that.

clothes. that depends on region. but id say that flax and cannabis clothing could be the most common, sometimes leather, + in winter some fur.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I couldn't find any good pictures for the time period you're looking for, but I heard once that Slavic warriors in the 7th or 8th century bearly wore any armor, often not even shirts – when they went to battle. I'd be glad if someone could confirm this.  :)

Yeah true it's in basic history school book and it's a quote from one of Greek sources. Atm i am not sure which one but i think Strategikon or something like that. :D

Anonymous

I have a doubt these festivals??
    what year or era will be represented with their clothes and armor?

"Wikingerfest Wolin 2011"

Anonymous

Chain mails were worn i believe from 13th century onward. So prior to that probably cloth with arm guards, helm and shield. There's plenty of pictures showing such armor among Slavs.

So 7th – 13th century (minus the chainmail on helm):

from 13th – 15th century:

15th onward:
    Standard Christian Knights etc.

Anonymous

It also varies on region. The only time Slavs all had the same gear was ancient times when they were running around half naked in wolf capes.

Anonymous

I am also a reinactor.
    This page has a link to some articles I wrote which you may get something out of.
    http://zadruga-kotok.org/our_story.html

This is to a page of a gentleman I respect and has later period stuff but the garb was much the same earlier.
    http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Mordak/index.html If you made inquiries of him I'm sure he would be happy to provide you with what earlier information he has.

The book of Ukrainian costume is the best I can recommen and is avaliable in english and ukrainian.

Also the page below has a current list of most of the resources online that are document-able.
    http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/index.html

Feel free to get a hold of me if you have more questions.. I' will be happy to share what I know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.