• This topic has 15 voices and 120 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Serbs are leaning towards Russians.  I don’t need to provide examples. It’s obvious.

Why not towards Ukraine or Belarus? Белоруси и Украјинци, такође, Словени и православци. We also fought of Serbian independence against Ottomans. We didn’t betray Serbs unlike Russians during NATO aggression. When Belgrade was bombed Belarusian president visited Serbia to express solidarity in spite Belarus (9.5mln) is smaller than Moscow city.

Anonymous

Serbian girls are singing about Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnjo9O9VpeY

Anonymous

Because Serbs consider all of Eastern Slavs as Russians :D

PS. I just saw u20 basketball game between Serbia and Ukraine, it was humiliating for one side…

Anonymous

@Shaokang

>Because Serbs consider all of Eastern Slavs as Russians/

But eastern Slavs are not Russians only. Russians are influential and the biggest ethnicity  among eastern Slavs and all Slavs. But we’re not Russians. This is well known. It like stating Bulgarians and Serbs are the same people.

> I just saw u20 basketball game between Serbia and Ukraine, it was humiliating for one side…

I didn’t watch the game. Let me guess Serbs humiliated Ukrainians?

PS Often Russians are showed large and dominant people in movies and documentaries. In reality Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks are giants in comparison to us. People of Bosnia and Herzegovina are the tallest in the world.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor
    Hey don’t tell me, I didn’t said I consider Belarusians and Ukrainians to be Russians, but the people in Serbia surely consider.

Modern basketball is not so much about the size. Ukrainians have some pretty tall NBA caliber players like Alex Len. Yes, you got it right, it was 98:63 for Serbia, it could’ve been even 100 but during last posession our kids didn’t want to score another 2 points. Sportsmen behaviour have to say :)

Anonymous

@Shaokang
    >Hey don’t tell me, I didn’t said I consider Belarusians and Ukrainians to be Russians, but the people in Serbia surely consider.

Do you know what? Russian youth doesn’t know there are Slavs living in the Balkans. To them Slavs are Russians, Ukrainians. Possibly Belarusians whose ethnic term sounds similar to Russian.

>Modern basketball is not so much about the size. Ukrainians have
    some pretty tall NBA caliber players like Alex Len. Yes, you got it
    right, it was 98:63 for Serbia, it could’ve been even 100 but during
    last posession our kids didn’t want to score another 2 points. Sportsmen
    behaviour have to say.

I didn’t watch the game or knew the score. But I guessed the outcome of the game right. :) I am more of an ice-hockey player.  Basketball is popular among our neighbours Lithuanians. They are crazy about basketball.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor
    Early Eastern and Western Slavic history is not being taught in Serbia. When I went to school there was just one history lesson about Slavs in general and that was to teach us which modern Slavic nation belongs to which Slavic group. Apart from that we were not taught anything about Russia or any other Slavic country apart from Serbia and bit of Bulgaria as they were our rivals at one point of history. There was a little bit more about USSR but just because of World Wars and Cold War.

Concerning sports I watch just a bit of basketball. I don’t even know the rules of other sports :#

Anonymous

Russian and Belarusian youth for that matter don’t know who was Lenin or Stalin. They don’t know what was “Perestroika” or “Cold War”. If you understand Russian here is essay of a high school graduate read out by a  school teacher .  What’s even more funny about the essay in which all historic facts about Russian Revolution (1917), WWII, Perestroika  is that  student got a good grade ‘4’ out of maximum ‘5 in a Russian school. So funny. For creativity I’d have given the student a perfect score. For knowing history it’d be nought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFFru2FldQ

Anonymous

@Sviatogor I can’t speak of Russia or Belarus, but the problem of the schools around here is school system. Too often methodology of teaching in elementary and high school are too different than the universities. I think university system more or less remained in 60’s or 70’s but the elementary and high school system either degraded or upgraded. Too often kids come to universities without enough knowledge and learning stuff they dont know can be challenging. Then there are some special high schools for talented kids, but again the problem is methodology of teaching only now it went to completely different direction as the students that come from specilized high school are often not challenged by university and big deal of subjects are just repeating what they were taught in high school. It can cause people to lose motivation.

Anonymous

For my high school, we had two history courses: American History and World History. World History stopped at Eastern Europe. That part was just “Commies yearning to be free.”  :D We didn’t learn about Africa, Australia, China, Japan or South America, either. We did do a project on India. 

American History stopped at the Vietnam War because the teacher ran out of time. He geeked out over WWII. We also had to watch the movie “Roots,” and a documentary about the Holocaust. :p I failed one quiz because for the answer “Why did the Battle of the Bulge happen?” I wrote, “The Germans ate too many sausages, got fat and failed to wear girdles.”  :D

Anonymous

@Sviatogor It’s all because Russia is bigger, and it’s all about the size you know.

@Karpivna, something tells me it often depends on the teacher’s attitude and time. We didn’t had much of “world history” neither, in fact nothing. It was mostly about Polish history and some important events that took place elsewhere. I had American history (and culture) only when I studied English philology (3rd-4th semester), but I don’t think I could learn anything new there, as I already had access to Wikipedia before. My studying of philology was basically drinking beer in the woods, so I’m not sure what was there, I was attending the classes only once in a while to not provoke the teacher with my presence.

Anonymous

@Karpivna I remember our teacher skipped through American independence war saying that Americans certainly don’t learn about Serbian uprisings, why would we have to learn about them. In high school it was different, we learned everything by the program plus I took extra classes trying to learn more about Slavic history, but it ended up with five guys talking about WWII and weaponry most of the time.

@Sviatogor All those times Belarusian and Ukrainians helped Serbs they were under Russians, so to Serbs, Russians helped them. Ukrainians aren’t really popular right now, majority sees them as traitors to Russia, actually right wing jokingly calls them “Ruske ustaše”. Belarus is opposite of that, those same people love you guys and are aware of your support in the recent past, but Shaokang is right even they probably consider you just Russian.

Anonymous

@Dušan
    In Russian empire were also Finns, Estonians, Poles. There’s a place in Bulgaria dedicated to the Battle of Shipka. Bulgaria placed flags of modern states whose people participates. Certain Russians went bezerk stating all those states were under Russian empire. Bulgarians replied : which flag should we put ? The flag of modern Russia?

PS Calling Belarusians Russians will be an insult to nationlist Belarusians.

Anonymous

I’d say it’s just a simplification used by people who aren’t interested in history and geopolitics. Someone who is would be exact. Many people are unaware of how annoying confusing such stuff can be.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor calling anyone something they aren’t is usually insulting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.