• This topic has 7 voices and 59 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I want to add Polish language to my collection ,so i accepted a job ofer from Warszawa ,i am moving next week , i could  really use some advice on how to behave in Poland ,as i understand customs are different , for example , i have read that curteous hand kissing is still common in Poland . So i would really appreciate, if someone could give me advice on what to do and what not to do before i cause any kind of trouble…

Anonymous

I think " curteous hand kissing " is no longer popular in Poland. It happens very rarely now and I think girls feel awkward when someone is kissing their hand nowadays so my advice would be – dont do that.

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your reply , allthough i personally think it is a sad developement when girls feel weird when men are courteous…

Anonymous

You can feel free to open the door for a women and let a her go first. Its still very popular in Poland. And carry heavy bags for her.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You can feel free to open the door for a women and let a her go first.

…though you will not even see a smile in a response.

Anonymous

Well opening doors for women and carrying their bags is allmost mandatory amongst Czechs …

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You can feel free to open the door for a women and let a her go first. Its still very popular in Poland. And carry heavy bags for her.

Are guys expected to pay the bill in restaurants?

Anonymous
    Quote:

I think it depends on a situation.

If you invite a female member of our excellent human society to a restaurant (a date) it would be better to offer that you pay. She may refuse of course, and wish to pay half – there are women, who do not want to pay and want you to pay anything, there are women, who say that want to pay half but may change their mind in order to your persuasive skills, and there are women, who want to pay and you skills will not change their mind. But it is better to offer (thanks to that you will know, if you are dating a materialistic creature).

On the other hand if you go with a friend to a pub for a beer, or you buying pizzas there is no need to pay the whole bill.

But I've heard about a situation, when a Polish guy invited a Ukrainian girl to the cinema. Everything was fine, he bought the tickets. After that he invited her for a coffee. She accepted, but then he wanted her to pay the bill, because he paid for a tickets. :p

Of course she was not much happy, but shocked. She paid, but never met him again.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    …though you will not even see a smile in a response.

Slavs don't smile :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think it depends on a situation.

If you invite a female member of our excellent human society to a restaurant (a date) it would be better to offer that you pay.

In eastern Slavic countries there are different situations. Generally, it's expected that guys pay restaurant bills on their dates. Such is the etiquette. Also, I  noticed in some western countries men buy their women flowers less often. This is only my perception and the realities may be different. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Slavs don't smile :D

The girls will give smiles if they like the guys regardless.  :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

It's really hard to answer this question. It all depends on the person, polish grils are very individual, every single woman is different here. But I think most of the girls expect a guy at least to offer he will pay a bill. Then she may agree or not.
    Personally I never let boys to pay for me ( except my brother and my father :D :D :D :D ) I would feel really ashamed if someone would pay all the bill for me, sometimes guys insist they will pay so usually it ends with sharing bill in a half.

Anonymous

Now that sounds like i got lots of exploring before me :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In eastern Slavic countries there are different situations. Generally, it's expected that guys pay restaurant bills on their dates. Such is the etiquette.

I know. Maybe different way in Poland is a consequence of this quasi-feminism, due to which every woman expect something else. This is annoying. The best way to avoid irritation is to avoid such things.

Quote:
    Also, I  noticed in some western countries men buy their women flowers less often. This is only my perception and the realities may be different. 

Could be. But think about one thing – people have their own expenses, and flowers are not cheap. When a colleague wanted to buy a bunch of roses I had to borrow him some money. If a guy in Poland would have to buy flowers often, invite a girl or woman to a restaurant, buy something else – he would be a bankrupt. It is simply irrational.

Quote:
    The girls will give smiles if they like the guys regardless.  :D

Unfortunately, not when you let them go first through the door. They walk like nobility, and males are just like servants in their mind – and this f*cking door are their natural law, to go first. When a woman say "thanks" I think she is not Polish.
    I had an idea to change my behaviour to more rude, but unfortunately I let them go first automatically. Don't know why.
    Szlachta kurwa mać.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I would feel really ashamed if someone would pay all the bill for me, sometimes guys insist they will pay so usually it ends with sharing bill in a half.

Well, now think how a man would feel, if a woman would pay the whole bill. It would be a nightmare. Visit in psychologist guaranteed – PTSD diagnosis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.