• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello Slavorum…

So I've seen a few posts and threads about rodnovery groups and communities, even here in Croatia.  I've tried to contact them, though. However… I get nothing back.  So I'm here asking – is anyone here involved in the rodnovery communities here in Croatia?  :)  Or is there someone you know I could contact…?

Thanks in advance, lovelies!

:*

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hello Slavorum…

So I've seen a few posts and threads about rodnovery groups and communities, even here in Croatia.  I've tried to contact them, though. However… I get nothing back.  So I'm here asking – is anyone here involved in the rodnovery communities here in Croatia?  :)  Or is there someone you know I could contact…?

Hi Slavicmuse! :)

I thought I'd share this information with you, even though it pertains to Ukraine. Perhaps it is the same in Croatia?

I'm wondering if the Croatian native faith groups did not respond to you because you are not native Croatian? Did you contact them in English or Croatian?

I'm presently reading a book about modern Ukrainian native faith. The author was born, raised, and received most of her education in Western Ukraine, but now lives in Canada. She researched three native faith organizations in Ukraine. She reports that some groups and/or members treated her a bit coldly once they found she no longer lived in Ukraine, but in a Western country.

She also reports that, for the most part, all of the groups were specific about members having certain characteristics:

1) Members had to be fluent in Ukrainian and/or Russian.

2) Members had to look Ukrainian. Several members mentioned to her that she was one of them and that she could not belong to any other ethnic group because, according to them, her face looked typically Slavic. (I've got this, apparently. My mother's sister is fond of telling people that my sister and I look like "them."  Them meaning the foreign Ukrainian side my mother married into, much to the surprise of her Wasp-y family. So, yeah. ::)  )

3) Members had to wear authentic Ukrainian embroidered clothing.

4) It was highly preferable, and in some cases mandatory, that members were native Ukrainians who lived in Ukraine.

My opinion is someone like me, an American with 1/2 Ukrainian heritage and no fluency in Ukrainian, would not be welcomed by native faith groups in Ukraine – no matter how skilled I am in preparing the Ukrainian foods of my ancestors! ;)

Anonymous

And see … I don't know if that's the case or not.  They haven't responded with even such information.  I did write in English, explaining I was learning the language but was not asking to join, but just curious how the organizations functioned and if outsiders were allowed to observe.

*sigh*  I'll continue my hunt… 

Thanks for your input, though, for sure!  I'm American born – half Rusini and half Russian/Scottish.  If this kind of mentality pertains to most groups.. I'm screwed for working with a group and will continue solo.  But it's this kind of mentality that hurts as though I understand why they do it. Those of us with blood should not be treated differently just because our ancestors moved. Was not our choice and now we're trying to reconnect. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    And see … I don't know if that's the case or not.  They haven't responded with even such information.  I did write in English, explaining I was learning the language but was not asking to join, but just curious how the organizations functioned and if outsiders were allowed to observe.

Thanks for your input, though, for sure!  I'm American born – half Rusini and half Russian/Scottish.  If this kind of mentality pertains to most groups.. I'm screwed for working with a group and will continue solo.  But it's this kind of mentality that hurts as though I understand why they do it. Those of us with blood should not be treated differently just because our ancestors moved. Was not our choice and now we're trying to reconnect. 

I really don't think that is the case at all.  My boyfriend is native Croatian, and has tried for years to find other serious Rodnovers.  Most have had the same thing you experienced, no response, probably b/c they really are not very active even if they exist.  I don't think people in Croatia are very likely to discriminate against you b/c you corresponded in English, so I really don't think you should feel put off for that :)

But, I do think you will have a hard time connecting w a rodnovery group there :(  I think a lot of them are simply looking for an already established group like you are, and unwilling to start one themselves (my boyfriend is the same).  That really might be something for you to consider-you seem very knowledgeable, and I bet you could find at least a couple of interested individuals there who could help.

Anonymous
    Quote:

I agree, it is a shame, but understandable, as you say. Hey, even my grandfather's Russian Orthodox Church was restrictive on when and who could enter the church sanctuary. Those who were unbaptized Orthodox could only enter the sanctuary for weddings and funerals, not for regular services. Not sure if that is still the case today.

Some of the Ukrainian native faith groups told the researcher, Mariya Lesiv, that they do not recruit or process conversions of non-Ukrainians.

Again, Croatia may be different. Just thought I'd share the Ukrainian information with you, as disappointing as it is for people like us!  :-

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I really don't think that is the case at all.  My boyfriend is native Croatian, and has tried for years to find other serious Rodnovers.  Most have had the same thing you experienced, no response, probably b/c they really are not very active even if they exist.  I don't think people in Croatia are very likely to discriminate against you b/c you corresponded in English, so I really don't think you should feel put off for that :)

But, I do think you will have a hard time connecting w a rodnovery group there :(  I think a lot of them are simply looking for an already established group like you are, and unwilling to start one themselves (my boyfriend is the same).  That really might be something for you to consider-you seem very knowledgeable, and I bet you could find at least a couple of interested individuals there who could help.

I do not think it would be the case either, but anything is possible.  As for starting something, I have no issues with that but I have no way of connecting to people as I can't seem to connect to others who local and Rodnovery.  Vicious cycle here. Hehehe… Is your boyfriend in US with you or over here near me?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I agree, it is a shame, but understandable, as you say. Hey, even my grandfather's Russian Orthodox Church was restrictive on when and who could enter the church sanctuary. Those who were unbaptized Orthodox could only enter the sanctuary for weddings and funerals, not for regular services. Not sure if that is still the case today.

Some of the Ukrainian native faith groups told the researcher, Mariya Lesiv, that they do not recruit or process conversions of non-Ukrainians.

Again, Croatia may be different. Just thought I'd share the Ukrainian information with you, as disappointing as it is for people like us!  :-

We'll see I guess…. :)  Sucks for Ukrainians… they have no idea what they're missing by not letting those like us participate. I've come to realize that most of us that are displaced are more devout and eager than those born in the native lands…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I do not think it would be the case either, but anything is possible.  As for starting something, I have no issues with that but I have no way of connecting to people as I can't seem to connect to others who local and Rodnovery.  Vicious cycle here. Hehehe… Is your boyfriend in US with you or over here near me?

He is in Croatia.  :) I will ask him for you if he knows anyone at all interested.  Maybe it's a cultural thing in Croatia, too-they aren't like Czechs, but Czechs aren't that likely to be devoted enough to something religious to put the effort into it it would take to start something (not that it hasn't happened, it's just a lot less likely than in the US where new groups sprout up all the time).  Of course I know the Catholic influence there is pretty strong.

I think a lot of times, it's like what you said on another topic-it's so much a part of their heritage that they are already really connected to it–so maybe they don't feel the need to take it to the next level, whereas us from the US grew up missing that connection so we crave it.  Of course, that doesn't explain why it's easier to find rodnovery groups in other Slavic countries.

Just some thoughts :) 

Anonymous

Slavicmuse, I just remembered that a Croatian native faith priest recently joined Slavorum. You might try contacting him. :) Here is his introduction thread:

http://www.slavorum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6548.0

You might also like to read this article/abstract, "In Search of Deeper Identities: Neopaganism and "Native Faith" in Contemporary Ukraine," by Adrian Ivakhiv. Link to PDF: http://www.uvm.edu/~aivakhiv/Insearch.pdf

Anonymous

foolish Slav we are Illyrians, we worship our ancestral god ARMATUS lord of WAR! Your foul northern GODS are WEAK!

[img width=511 height=800]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/28079/1100069-ares__02__001__01_.png” />

but maybe this will helphttps://www.facebook.com/HRZPerunica seen them via https://www.facebook.com/SlavPaganism

:P

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hello Slavorum…

I believe you've already checked their sites and everything. Now, I don't know how active Slovene rodnovers are but perhaps you could try contact the Croatians via them? They should have some contacts or something since they list the Croats under their connections on their site. It might be worth a try. They should know a word or two in English aswell … ;D

http://www.staroverci.si/kontakt.html

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Slavicmuse, I just remembered that a Croatian native faith priest recently joined Slavorum. You might try contacting him. :) Here is his introduction thread:

http://www.slavorum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6548.0

You might also like to read this article/abstract, "In Search of Deeper Identities: Neopaganism and "Native Faith" in Contemporary Ukraine," by Adrian Ivakhiv. Link to PDF: http://www.uvm.edu/~aivakhiv/Insearch.pdf

Oooo… looking forward to reading this stuff!! :)))) Thanks, darling! 

Quote:

Yes, Perunica is one of the contacts I've tried to establish.  Thanks, still!!

Quote:
    I believe you've already checked their sites and everything. Now, I don't know how active Slovene rodnovers are but perhaps you could try contact the Croatians via them? They should have some contacts or something since they list the Croats under their connections on their site. It might be worth a try. They should know a word or two in English aswell … ;D

http://www.staroverci.si/kontakt.html

Štajerc, thanks, duso!  I'll give it a shot! 

It isn't so much necessary to be a member or participate, though that would be incredible, but I mostly just want to talk and connect and learn more. 

I have to dig thru scraps of information that are in English or spend much longer piecing together Serbian/Croatian sources because I have to translate so much.  However, I should just translate it and offer it as an option to the author. :P  This kind of information should be in English because I can tell you right now, I have many pagan friends and mythology enthusiasts who are CONSTANTLY asking me about Slavic myths and legends but obviously can't find anything.  And none of them speak a Slavic language, either.  But they're fascinated by our histories and cultures and want to know more.  Maybe this is a project for me in the near future.. *thinks*

Thanks again everyone!!!

Anonymous

Finally connected with Perunica!  They are incredible!  Been to one meeting, will join them Saturday for a minor celebration, also. 

AshleySlav… if your boyfriend is here in Zagreb and wants to see what they are about, maybe he can get in contact with me and I can bring him along one time…?  Just a thought since you said he was interested.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.