• This topic has 8 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[size=12pt]Runes of Old Slavs.[/size]

I've done some research recently about the pre-christian Slavic alphabet(s). It seem very illogical that only Slavs were illiterate, while the Germanic and all other nations weren't. Do you guys have any material regarding that? (one picture is the letters I succeeded to translate from inscriptions in Rethra, the other one is a picture that closely resembles those letters, so I took it into consideration)

Anonymous

vast majority of people were illiterate. some traders or pagan priests around baltic could have borrowed semitic letters from scandinavians (the rest of germanic ppl had switched to latin alphabet some time before), but there was no particularly slavic alphabet, otherwise saints kyril & methodios wouldnt have had to develop a new alphabet.

Anonymous

In those times ordinary people weren't literate whether they were in "barbaric" countries or Christian ones (i.e. only monks and some more privileged people, not even rulers were all literate). And it is possible that they were borrowed, but as you see, they were modified, and Slavs and Germanic nations have similar cultures and origins. Glagolitic alphabet was created either for a more practical usage in writing books, or just to erase the memory of the alphabet used by the pagan priests.

Anonymous

@Svantevith
    thats irrelevant to this question. letters were brought to scandinavia through trade with mediterranean. those letters arent indoeuropean in origin, but semitic.

Quote:
    or just to erase the memory of the alphabet used by the pagan priests.

nonsense.

Anonymous

@Svantevith

It has been told time over time, that whatever Slavs used as literal language back than was burned. If we understand that literacy wasn't so wide spread until 19th century, you can imagine how many people used it in 9th century among common Slavic folk, only obviously some nobles and religious pagan priests used it. With aggressive spread of Christianization, most of it was burned etc. Today we do not know what we used back than due to migrating and violent history, thought many think it was pretty much similar like Germanic runes, (as seen in Veles book which is allegedly fake) but most do think it was something similar. 

Anonymous

@Barov

+ I'd like to add that even among those Germanics who had these runes they were rather rare in usage and their appliance was mostly on stone (runestones), wood & weaponry. Scandos & other Germanics were mostly illiterate like majority of Europeans as well for the matter. :D Indeed European society was majority illiterate till late 19th century.

Quote:
    Glagolitic alphabet was created either for a more practical usage in writing books, or just to erase the memory of the alphabet used by the pagan priests.

Erasing argument is not very valid since in that case they would try to erase evidence of runes or better put runestones during christianisation of Scandos. Instead actually in Scandinavian christian period runes were used for manuscripts for quite some time.

Anonymous

Yes, that is true. But my main source is an 18th century book written by Andreas Gottlieb Masch, in which there is a large number of illustrations of statues found in the temple in Rethra. There are runic inscriptions on them that have been only partially examined and translated.

Anonymous

@Povhec I know it is not valid, but in Slavic countries, especially in my own country, the pre-christian period is satanized and rejected, unlike the Nordic countries for example, where that part of history is respected and recognised by the public. All factors must be taken into consideration, therefore I wouldn't completely reject that argument just yet.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I know that the roots of runes are not indo-european, I am aware of that. The main point I am trying to prove, or at least share my opinions about, is the fact that there isn't much effort in finding the pre-christian Slavic alphabet or writing system, which was mentioned by Chernorizec Hrabar in his letter about that subject. He stated that Slavs didn't write books, but had a system of "strokes and inscriptions" (i.e. runes), but still the most of the public (and the education system) don't seem to care about that and just go on saying that they were without an alphabet, which is ridiculous and false.

Anonymous

the effort has been there but didnt bear any fruit. chrabr says that before, pagan slavs had no letters but counted and divined with чръты и рѣзы – lines and cuts.

Anonymous

@Barov Again, as I said, just an another name (even a little mocking name) for runes. In fact, see for yourself:

http://books.google.rs/books?id=YsNRAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=sr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Anonymous

one more thing. why do you call it runes? rún is an old north-germanic word, just like alefbet is used for hebrew letters.
    i noticed this trend among some people, "vikings & runes are cool so slavs must have had runes as well but ofc christian conspiracy…"
    i suspect a similar reason for th in your nickname.

Anonymous

@Barov I am not a part of that "stream" in the contemporary public, I believe in the uniqueness of Slavs. My name is Svetovid on old-wendish (Obotrite).

Picture related ("Svantevith" inscription from Rhetra)

Anonymous

how do you know its svantevith?
    where can we see more of these inscriptions?
    or at least their photos, sketches?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • jorgos
  • kony97
  • Fia
  • Tujev