• This topic has 17 voices and 63 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

By Will Englund, Published: August 28 E-mail the writer
    MOSCOW — Russian officials Wednesday accused Western nations of short-circuiting the work of United Nations weapons inspectors in Syria in their eagerness to launch an attack on Damascus.

A British resolution in the U.N. Security Council condemning the Syrian government for using chemical weapons is premature given that the inspectors in Syria have not yet reported back on their findings, Russia’s first deputy foreign minister, Vladimir Titov, said in remarks quoted by the Interfax news agency.

Graphic
    Timeline: Major events in Syria’s tumultuous uprising that began in March 2011. Click Here to View Full Graphic Story
    Timeline: Major events in Syria’s tumultuous uprising that began in March 2011.
    Latest stories on Syria
    Summary explains British rationale for Syria intervention
    Summary explains British rationale for Syria  intervention
    Joby Warrick 7:29 PM ET
    Intelligence panel’s letter saying possible military intervention is justified is short on specifics.
    Britain, France pull back from quick strike on Syria
    Britain, France  pull back from quick strike on Syria
    Anthony Faiola 5:40 PM ET
    U.S. allies warn against moving too quickly to punish Damascus for apparent chemical attack.
    China says U.S. attack on Syria would make things worse
    China says U.S. attack on Syria would make things worse
    William Wan 4:12 PM ET
    State-run Chinese media call chemical weapons an excuse for potential U.S. action against Syria.
    Syria wants U.N. inspectors to stay beyond deadline
    Syria wants U.N. inspectors to stay beyond deadline
    Karen DeYoung 2:41 AM ET
    The regime’s request could complicate the timeline for a widely expected U.S. military strike.
    U.K. to propose authorizing action
    Russia says West is jumping the gun

The inspectors’ report is not expected until the weekend at the earliest.

With both Russia and China holding veto power in the Security Council, there is also no prospect that the British resolution will pass. Instead, the head of the foreign affairs committee in the lower house of Russia’s parliament said, the move is an attempt to provide a justification for the attack on Syria that Moscow appears to believe is inevitable.

“They want to show that they will not ignore the U.N. Security Council,” Alexei Pushkov told Interfax. “It is even possible to predict the situation’s further development. If the resolution proposed by London is rejected, the United States and the United Kingdom will insist that they are certain that they are correct and that it is necessary to strike Syria.”

A Western military operation against Syria will lead to further bloodshed and will not resolve the civil war there, the parliamentary speaker, Sergei Naryshkin, said while on a trip to Slovakia. It will, however, “cause significant damage to the U.N., the world community and international law,” he added, in remarks relayed by the Itar-Tass news agency.

“U.N. experts started working in Syria,” he said. “Several NATO countries said the experts’ conclusions were unnecessary and expressed readiness to launch a military operation against the Syrian military. These are very dangerous statements. Currently no one knows who has used chemical weapons.”

Russia has been a solid ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. On Tuesday and Wednesday, two planes belonging to Russia’s Emergencies Ministry delivered 15 tons of aid to Syria that the Foreign Ministry described as food and other essentials. The planes returned with 116 passengers on board, identified as Russians and citizens of other former Soviet republics.

Russia has also been supplying Assad’s forces with antiaircraft and anti-ship weapons, which would make a Western attack on Syria more difficult than the aerial bombardment of Libya was in 2011.

The Foreign Ministry said Russia is not evacuating its diplomats in Damascus.

Official comments in Moscow suggested that Russia believes an attack is almost certain. The foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, spoke with U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry late Tuesday evening, with the two men disagreeing on the evidence of chemical weapons use, the ministry said in a statement. It was their second phone conversation on Syria this week, and they agreed to talk again, the statement said.

Titov, the deputy minister, said Russia supports Wednesday’s statement by Ban Ki-moon, the U.N. secretary general, in which he stressed his hopes for a diplomatic solution to the Syrian conflict.

souce: Washington Post

Do we see a USA+Europe vs Russia+China conflict on the rise?

Also
    Putin Orders Massive Strike Against Saudi Arabia If West Attacks Syria

Anonymous

I see Russia will point the finger at NATO and do nothing as usual :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I see Russia will point the finger at NATO and do nothing as usual :)

Thats good. It would be even better if Russia (or better put; state officials) wouldn't even point fingers. I say best for Russia is they absolutely don't do anything when it comes to other countries and their wars, etc. Especially when it comes to some arab states. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thats good. It would be even better if Russia (or better put; state officials) wouldn't even point fingers. I say best for Russia is they absolutely don't do anything when it comes to other countries and their wars, etc. Especially when it comes to some arab states. :)

They need Syria as it is because they can block oil pipeline coming from Saudi's over Turkey in Europe, so I guess they will allow air strike if they get good compensation, but who knows

Anonymous
    Quote:
    They need Syria as it is because they can block oil pipeline coming from Saudi's over Turkey in Europe, so I guess they will allow air strike if they get good compensation, but who knows

Yep it's always the money…however if they do not get any reasonable compensation it could be interesting…

Anonymous
    Quote:

Ahhh the oil thing. Sad. :( Well still if i were Russian i would want something like i just wrrote on previous post but its true like you said its usually all about resources wether we like it or not.

Anonymous

In any case I'm hoping to see at least one or two american birds shot down  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:

So that they can make Black Hawk Down sequel? ??? ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:

If only it was that simple, but it's not. An American pilot is just as innocent in this nonsense as any Arab that gets killed. Soldiers don't know the reasons behind their orders, they just act or face trial/prison/execution. I agree that America/the West needs to stop this nonsense in the Middle East, but lives lost are never a thing to smile about.

Anonymous
    Quote:

The CIA would like a word with you…  :P

This is worrisome news. Reminds me of both World Wars. British declaring war and then Americans coming in…  :-  Tired of Middle Eastern wars that solve nothing, but cause massive loss of life.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    but lives lost are never a thing to smile about.

I agree,but american medling in the region brought about the biggest loss of life so far.Just look at Iraq where suicide bombers have become an everyday occurrence after the american intervention,and yet the americans have the audacity to scream faul over some Dzokhar that killed 3 and wounded a few.
    If they are such altruists that they would have acted agains Israel long ago,since Israel breaks so many human rights of the Palestinians.

Anonymous

Gosh, I'm so sick of America going into every shit that happens in the world … ::) Don't they have enough problems of their own?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    If only it was that simple, but it's not. An American pilot is just as innocent in this nonsense as any Arab that gets killed. Soldiers don't know the reasons behind their orders, they just act or face trial/prison/execution. I agree that America/the West needs to stop this nonsense in the Middle East, but lives lost are never a thing to smile about.

I guess a Wehrmacht soldier that follows the order to kill Chechs is also innocent for you.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Gosh, I'm so sick of America going into every shit that happens in the world … ::) Don't they have enough problems of their own?

USA! USA! USA!  ;D :P

Anonymous

Here we go again. Vietnam Redux No. 12.

Where Have all the Flowers Gone: Eve of Destruction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.