• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Schiavona is basket-hilted sword. Basket-hilted swords are typical european swords. There are many regional variations like claymore, wallon hilt, broadsword etc. These types of swords have origin in 16th century and were used until around 18th century. Word Schiavoni means Slavs in Venetian dialect (some say its language) and Schiavona means Slavic woman but it was also used for these basket-hilted swords.

In balkan region this sword evolved into so called Schiavona. Schiavona was produced in Venetian Republic but they called it Schiavona becouse it was used by Doge's bodyguard which was Slavic in origin. Doges bodyguards were mainly from Slavic populated regions of Venetian Republic: Dalmatia, Istria, Venetian Slovenia and Montenegro (depends on time). There were also Uskoki who fled from Ottoman occupied areas among bodyguards but generaly Dalmatians and Istrians predominated in its ranks.

Croatian Uskok warrior in 17th century, he is holding Schiavona;

However it was not just Doge's slavic bodyguards who used Schiavona but also general population in Dalmatia, Istria and Venetian Slovenia and most of Uskoki including Habsburg Uskoki. Slavic population in these Venetian lands had special priviledges becouse of dangerous Venetian border with Austrian and Ottoman enemies. These priviledges were mainly lower taxes or no taxes, right to bear arms (mostly Schiavona) and some autonomy. In return they had obligation to defend borders, repair roads and maintain local forts. Schiavona was famous in its time and Venetians were also selling these swords to other lands like France, German states, Habsburg Austria and other Italian states.

[img width=800 height=800]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Schiavona-Morges.jpg”/>

[img width=800 height=800]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Schiavona2-Morges.jpg”/>

Here is some general info. about Schiavona from wiki:

"A surviving blade measures 93.2 cm × 3.4 cm × 0.45 cm and bears two fullers or grooves running about 1/4 the length of the blade. Weighing in at around 1.1 kg, this blade was useful for both cut and thrust"

What is your favorite sword type?

Anonymous

I found some more info about Schiavona. Apparently it is still used in Blato (not sure which one), Croatia. They still use them in their traditional dance. I found it on this link; http://www.blato.hr/kumpanjija/odjeljenja/kumpanjolskoodj.html

Oružje kumpanjola je mač. Svaki imade 'krtolić'  tj. gvozdenu mrežu koja brani šaku bojovnika. Stručno se ti mačevi nazivaju Schiavona".

Translation (correct me if i am worng); Weapon of kumpanjol's (companions) is a sword. Each sword has "krtolić" a basket-hilt which defends warriors hand. These swords are called Schiavona.

And i found another picture of Uskoki warrior with Schiavona;

Anonymous

There is a known bastard sword that was forged in medieval Serbia (the oldest foundings were found in Serbia), Italians call spada Schiavonesca or the Slavic sword. It is however older, dating from the 14th century, than the spada Schiavona (the renaissance sword) posted here, wich dates from the 16th/17th century.

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][img height=200]http://dugenociicrnezastave.rs/_img/_fckupl/image/SRPSKI-MAC.jpg”/>[/td]
    [td][img height=200]http://www.mondo.rs/slike/vesti/001/036/v103663p0.jpg”/>[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Anonymous

Personaly i have hard time in understanding differences between swords. To me Schiavona & for example basket-hilt Claymore looks the same. There are only differences in hilt design with Schiavona hilt design looking cooler to me but that is all.

Anonymous

Schiavona may have evolved from 1,5-hand swords used in Balkan.
    It has got more heavier blade of a characteristic shape and length.
    Plus the basket design.
    When you compare it to Western European contemporary swords you can see the difference in blade. Schiavona seems to be heavier.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Schiavona may have evolved from 1,5-hand swords used in Balkan.
    It has got more heavier blade of a characteristic shape and length.
    Plus the basket design.
    When you compare it to Western European contemporary swords you can see the difference in blade. Schiavona seems to be heavier.

Ok now i understand major differance.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Personaly i have hard time in understanding difference between swords. To me Schiavona & for example basket-hilt Claymore or Broadsword look the same. There are only differences in hilt design with Schiavona hilt design looking cooler to me but that is all.

Schiavonesca is an old Serbian bastard-type (one and a half hand) sword forged in the times of the decline of the Empire in the 14th century, that came via the mercenaries from Serbia to Venice, thus getting the name Schiavonesca or the Slavic sword. Schiavona is probably, how I read, an evolution upon that design that emerged in the 16th/17th century, after Serbia was conquered. It is a renaissance type sword with a decorated basket-hilt which was unknown in the middle-ages.

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][img height=300]http://www.a-work-of-art.net/pages/page13c.jpg”/>
    2152 is the Serbian sword or Schiavonesca(Slavic sword)[/td]

[td][img height=300]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8600/spadaschiavonesca2.jpg”/>
    S hilt[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

The distinguishable[size=12pt]S[/size] hilt on the sword was developed by the blacksmiths as a design fit to resist Ottoman sabres, the Serbian knights were heavily armored and equiped with longswords thus making them less flexible than unarmored sabre swinging Turks. An efficient way of defeating them was to 'capture' the sabre in the [size=12pt]S[/size] hilt, thus making them bound on man to man combat.

Anonymous

Thanks Cvetinov for this additional info. Realy interesting.

Anonymous

Quality replica of Schiovanesca
    [img width=123 height=700]http://deltin.it/5152-2.jpg”/>

Anonymous

When I was in some castle in Bled,Slovenia most of the swords looked like Schiavonas.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    When I was in some castle in Bled,Slovenia most of the swords looked like Schiavonas.

Realy? Interesting thanks for info Rastislav. I always thinked it was limited to Beneška Slovenija altho on the other hand it is well known that Venetians traded this swords troughout central Europe and Carniola was very close so this is possible. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Well basket-hilt swords were an evolution of long swords all around Europe, they were more efficient because you had no need for a gauntlet anymore. Not every basket-hilt sword is a schiavona however.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well basket-hilt swords were an evolution of long swords all around Europe, they were more efficient because you had no need for a gauntlet anymore. Not every basket-hilt sword is a schiavona however.

That is true however it is most probably that Bled swords are Schiavonas since it would be wierd if they buyed Walloon's or basket-hilted Claymore's and trade with Venice was always very strong. Only Sinclair's could be in Bled since they have origin in modern south Germany but trade with Venice was way stronger than with south German lands. Besides it is well know from documents that Venetian war agents often recruited people of Inner Austrian lands as mercenaries. Basicaly as far as Schiavona goes this is best description;

The schiavona became popular among the armies of those who traded with Italy (Italian states) during the 17th century and was the weapon of choice for many heavy cavalry. It was popular among mercenary soldiers and wealthy civilians alike; examples decorated with gilding and precious stones were imported by the upper classes to be worn as a combination of fashion accessory and defensive weapon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • slovborg
  • Jan Pat II
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • кошка