• This topic has 4 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I apologise in advance if there is already a thread on this, but I am curious to know more about the Rennaissance era of how it effected the Yugo/Southern Slavs, through Art mainly.

ANy help or direction would be great.

Anonymous

You could read a bit here about it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You could read a bit here about it.

I'm also interested in, but unfortunately, I don't understand what is written in this book. Can you post some name of artists, works or places connected with Rennaissance in ex-Yugoslavia, please?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I'm also interested in, but unfortunately, I don't understand what is written in this book. Can you post some name of artists, works or places connected with Rennaissance in ex-Yugoslavia, please?

Well, of course:
    Šiško Menčetić, Marin Držić, Ivan Gundulić, Marko Marulić, Andrija Zmajević, Džore Držić are some of most prominent writters.
    I dont know for articles in English, but I will try to find some.
    Some literary theorists go so far to declare even Despot Stefan Lazarević as part of Renaissance, but I dont find such classification accurate.
    By the way I posted link to wrong book. Sorry, Ksander here is correct:
    http://sr.scribd.com/doc/101263494/dubrovacka-knjizevnost

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, of course:
    Šiško Menčetić, Marin Držić, Ivan Gundulić, Marko Marulić, Andrija Zmajević, Džore Držić are some of most prominent writters.
    Some literary theorists go so far to declare even Despot Stefan Lazarević as part of Renaissance, but I dont find such classification accurate.

Thank you, I will seach these authors, maybe I will be lucky and I will find something in Romanian. Beside literature, do you know what happened in other arts, like painting and architecture?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, of course:

Thanks alot, this is really helpful.

Anonymous

Since rest of Yugoslav areas were ravaged by constnt wars, most of rennaissance art (paintings, churches, sculptures) could be found in Litoral areas (Dalmatia, Ragusan Republic, Boka Kotorska), and in Slovenia.
    Crkva Svetog Spasa in Dubrovnik
    [img height=300]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Dubrovnik-BS-113.jpg” />
    Also look for the names Jurij Dalmatinac and Nikola Firentinac, Mihajlo Hamzić, Vicko Lovrin.
    That is what I could remember. Altough, I know more about literature.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Since rest of Yugoslav areas were ravaged by constnt wars, most of rennaissance art (paintings, churches, sculptures) could be found in Litoral areas (Dalmatia, Ragusan Republic, Boka Kotorska), and in Slovenia.
    [img height=300]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Dubrovnik-BS-113.jpg” />
    Also look for the names Jurij Dalmatinac and Nikola Firentinac, Mihajlo Hamzić, Vicko Lovrin.

Thanks Dalibor. I remember visiting that Church years ago and seeing an Illuminati Pyramid ontop the entrance doors.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Thank you. Belive me, you helped me. Just few names and few information are enough to open my interest for some places and personalities that you didn't know before.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I apologise in advance if there is already a thread on this, but I am curious to know more about the Rennaissance era of how it effected the Yugo/Southern Slavs, through Art mainly.

ANy help or direction would be great.

Unfortunately there is no many influence of the renaissance in serbian art since the renaissance was only established in catholic countries (the renaissance was in Italy introduce). The only part where could be renaissance in Serbia is Vojvodina.

In Croatia, you have writers like Šiško Menčetić, Džore Držić and etc.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, of course:

Ivan Gundulić is a baroque writer not renaissance.

Anonymous

There was no Rennesaince in Vojvodina, simply because it was under Turks then.  Belonging of Ragusan literature is highly disputed, so I will not enter in it. But even then you have Andrija Zmajević, who was Roman Catholic, but Serb also, and offten described himself as Serb.

Quote:
    Ivan Gundulić is a baroque writer not renaissance.

Matter of classification. He is classified as such in Wikipeda, but Wikipedia is not ultimate source of human knowledge.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There was no Rennesaince in Vojvodina, simply because it was under Turks then.  Belonging of Ragusan literature is highly disputed, so I will not enter in it. But even then you have Andrija Zmajević, who was Roman Catholic, but Serb also, and offten described himself as Serb.

About the subject I rather not go further into the subject but the language in dubrovnik was called Croatian. For example there is a translator called Dominiko Zlatarić. One of his translation he named Ljubav i smrt Pirama i Tizbe, iz veće tuđijeh jezika u hrvacki složene (Love and Death of Pyramus and Thisbe, Translated into Croatian from Several Foreign Languages) published in Venice. About Zmajević wiki is saying that he is originally from Montenegro not dubrovnik.

Quote:
    Matter of classification. He is classified as such in Wikipeda, but Wikipedia is not ultimate source of human knowledge.

In wiki he is classified as baroque. Is is not just matter of classification. There is a very difference between baroque and renaissance.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    About the subject I rather not go further into the subject but the language in dubrovnik was called Croatian. For example there is a translator called Dominiko Zlatarić.

Yes, but they called their language various names,  like in this resolution of Signoria de la Ragusa:
    „il di primo di 9bre 1638. De mandato degli Signori officuali sopra la pramatica si grida, et proclama infrascritto tenore in lingua serviana per magior intelligenza di ogni uno…",
    But Ksander asked about Yugoslav, art as whole, and I allready told I do nto wish to participate in such debates. Please, have it in mind.

Quote:
    About Zmajević wiki is saying that he is originally from Montenegro not dubrovnik.

Did I said he was from Dubrovnik? I said he was Serbian writer. And he lived in Boka.

Quote:
    In wiki he is classified as baroque. Is is not just matter of classification. There is a very difference between baroque and renaissance.

In his works there are elemnts of contemporary baroque and previous literary movement rennaissance. So it is strictly matter of classification for historians of literature, ie which elements they find to prevail in his works.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.