• This topic has 10 voices and 37 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #344780

    Anonymous

    Serbian language has 30 letters and it can be written with 2 different alphabets: cyrillic and latin. Cyrillic is the 1st and main alphabet. Each letter in Cyrillic has only one mark, and in Latin there are combinations, such as [nj, dj, dž,…].

    Cyrillic order called Azbuka (азбука): А Б В Г Д Ђ Е Ж З И Ј К Л Љ М Н Њ О П Р С Т Ћ У Ф Х Ц Ч Џ Ш
    Latin order called Abeceda (абецеда): A B C Č Ć D Dž Đ E F G H I J K L Lj M N Nj O P R S Š T U V Z Ž

    Самогласници – Vowels
    In Serbian language there are 5 vowels. Those are А, Е, И, О, У.

    Letter Р (R) sometimes can be carrier of the accent or syllable in a word too.
    In that case it has a role of a vowel in that word, so it’s called vocal or syllable-making R.
    Also, letters Л (L) and Н (N) can be syllable-making in words that come from foreign languages.

    Сугласници (консонати) – Consonants
    Consonants are , of course , all other 25 letters.

    Basic pronouns:
    Ja / Ја – I
    Ti / Ти – You
    On – Ona- Ono – Он-Она-Оно: He/She/It
    Mi/ Ми – We
    Vi / Ви – You
    Oni-One-Ona / Они-Оне-Она – They
    ————————————————————————————-
    Verb TO BE
    Verb to be in Serbian is бити
    Changed though faces in present tense it is:
    Ja sam (jesam) / Ја сам (јесам) – I am
    Ti si ( jesi) /  Ти си (јеси) – You are
    On-Ona-Ono je (jeste)  / Он-Она-Оно је (јесте) – They are
    Mi smo (jesmo) / Ми смо (јесмо) – We are
    Vi ste (jeste) / Ви сте (јесте) – You are
    Oni-One-Ona su (jesu) / Они/Оне/Она су (јесу) – They are

    —————————————————————————————
    Dobro jutro / Добро јутро – Good morning
    Dobar dan / Добар дан –  Good afternoon
    Dobro veče / Добро вече – Good evening
    Laku noć / Лаку ноћ – Good night
    Doviđenja / Довиђења – Good bye
    Zdravo / Здраво – Hello, bye;
    Ćao / Ћао – Hello,bye; informal way
    Pozdrav / Поздрав – Greeting
    Ja se zovem / Ја се зовем —- . – My name is —-
    Imam —- godina /Имам —- година. – I’m —- years old.
    Živim u Novom Sadu / Живим у Новом Саду. – I live in Novi Sad .
    Drago mi je da smo se upoznali / Драго ми је да смо се упознали. – Nice to meet you
    Hvala, Blagodarim / Хвала, Благодарим- Thank you
    Nema na čemu / Нема на чему – You are welcome –
    Izvoli / Изволи – Here you are/go
    Izvini / Извини – I’m sorry/Excuse me –
    Žao mi je /Жао ми је -I’m sorry – 
    Drago mi je / Драго ми је – I’m glad

    #405381

    Anonymous

    Why can't we come up with some alternatives latin letters for Dž, Lj, Nj; as was done for Dj=Ɖ.

    I propose Ɗ,Ł,Ń  ;D

    #405382

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    I propose Ɗ,Ł,Ń  ;D

    The usage of Ł in Slavic languages is usually reversed to this proposed one, so if I were to change anything (and why to propose it in this thread, it's a learning thread, not linguistic one?), it would be Lj = L, L = Ł.

    #405383

    Anonymous

    Why change  Lj = L, L = Ł. when L= Ł is in BCSM. That would defeat the purpose and add confusion for native speakers.

    Maybe I'll start a thread, if there isn't one already.

    #405384

    Anonymous

    I say for people attempting to learn Serbian, shouldn't be confused with letters that aren't actually within the alphabet. While I understand what is being said here, I'm also a learner of Serbian… and it would get confusing to do this because only here would the letters be changed but in every day material, they wouldn't be.

    Great start off, Ингва. :) Хвала пуно, брате.

    #405385

    Anonymous

    Здраво! Хвала за лекцију. (I'm I writing correct?)

    And here virtual keyboard for Serbian азбука:

    http://gate2home.com/Serbian-Keyboard

    My proposition (to Moderators):

    I imagine that in country categories could be created a news section "Learning (for example) Serbian language" and inside two categories: "Serbian grammar a week" and "Serbian word a day". In each category should be a sticked port about spelling and pronouncing the vowels. In grammar should be described one grammar subject a week and users under the first post may post their exercise.

    In "word a day" should be presented one word, example usage, and its inflection by persons and times.

    #405386

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Здраво! Хвала за лекцију. (I'm I writing correct?)

    And here virtual keyboard for Serbian азбука:

    http://gate2home.com/Serbian-Keyboard

    My proposition (to Moderators):

    I imagine that in country categories could be created a news section "Learning (for example) Serbian language" and inside two categories: "Serbian grammar a week" and "Serbian word a day". In each category should be a sticked port about spelling and pronouncing the vowels. In grammar should be described one grammar subject a week and users under the first post may post their exercise.

    In "word a day" should be presented one word, example usage, and its inflection by persons and times.

    makes me wanna learn Polski!

    #405387

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    makes me wanna learn Polski!

    Soon, I'm preparing proper material :)

    #405388

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Здраво! Хвала за лекцију. (I'm I writing correct?)

    Нема на чему / Nema na cemu =]
    Youwrote it well , it is dobre  xD
    We can hardly call this a lesson , I think it's more like the introduction, I will add some stuff soon =]

    Quote:
    I say for people attempting to learn Serbian, shouldn't be confused with letters that aren't actually within the alphabet. While I understand what is being said here, I'm also a learner of Serbian… and it would get confusing to do this because only here would the letters be changed but in every day material, they wouldn't be.

    Great start off, Ингва. :) Хвала пуно, брате.

    Драго ми је ако сам мало помогао, нема на чему =]

    Quote:
    Why can't we come up with some alternatives latin letters for Dž, Lj, Nj; as was done for Dj=Ɖ.

    I propose Ɗ,Ł,Ń  ;D

    There were some suggestions during the beginning of 19th century but only some were taken and now are in use while NJ,LJ and Dž are "unfinished" to this day. There was even suggestion same as the "Ń" you had  mentioned xD  I remember that Đuro Daničić  is the author of ''Đ'' I am not sure for the rest.
    I personally believe it will never be changed. Even when the Serbian language tradition was "updated" in 19 century by Vuk Karadzic people were against it. He never saw the victory of his language reform because he died in 1864 and his reform was approved in 1868.

    #405389

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    The usage of Ł in Slavic languages is usually reversed to this proposed one, so if I were to change anything (and why to propose it in this thread, it's a learning thread, not linguistic one?), it would be Lj = L, L = Ł.

    Why L = Ł? Listening to polish Ł i must say its akin to our south Slavic V. :D At least according to these anyway; :D

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl-z%C5%82oty.ogg

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wisla.ogg

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl-%C5%81%C3%B3d%C5%BA-3.ogg

    #405390

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Why L = Ł? Listening to polish Ł i must say its akin to our south Slavic V. :D (…)

    Because of historical development. In Polish (like in Russian) Common Slavic l retained its value before front (or iotated) vowels or before j, and changed it in other places (in Polish the ł developed further, into [w] sound). For example Common Slavic *ljudъ (people) became Polish lud, and Common Slavic *lodь¹ (boat) became Polish łódź.

    [hr]
    ¹ [size=8pt]The word should be *oldь in Proto-Slavic (because of Slavic metathesis). The reconstructions are mine, so they might be not fully correct.[/size]

    #405391

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Because of historical development. In Polish (like in Russian) Common Slavic l retained its value before front (or iotated) vowels or before j, and changed it in other places (in Polish the ł developed further, into [w] sound). For example Common Slavic *ljudъ (people) became Polish lud, and Common Slavic *lodь¹ (boat) became Polish łódź.

    [hr]
    ¹ [size=8pt]The word should be *oldь in Proto-Slavic (because of Slavic metathesis). The reconstructions are mine, so they might be not fully correct.[/size]

    So what you mean by this;

    Quote:
    if I were to change anything, it would be Lj = L, L = Ł.
    #405392

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    So what you mean by this;

    I mean that Lj should became L, and all other L's should became Ł's. Of course if we were to change anything, current state is rather good :)

    #405393

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    I mean that Lj should became L, and all other L's should became Ł's. Of course if we were to change anything, current state is rather good :)

    Why would you change like that?

    #405394

    Anonymous

    Why change it at all? If you're going to change the look of the letter Lj but keep the sound, then use the Slovakian Ľ.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • Glockamole
  • Piachu
  • GOGA
  • Tujev
  • slovborg