• This topic has 8 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg79R5jopj8

Interesting new documentary covering a wide-scope of Slavic history, what do you guys think?

Anonymous

Sounds like pseudo-history. And that’s coming from an historian. Btw, how many Serbs believe in the ‘Srbenda’ theory?

Anonymous

It mentions the Chronicles of Fredegar and the Da Administrando Imperio, which checks out

Anonymous

Niklot_56 I don’t mean that everything in the documentary is false but the narrative is and some of the things referred to in the documentary are false (like the mention of the Antes being descended from ancient Serbs and that the Serbs got their name from an ancient deity).

Anonymous

Trash, with a capital T.

Anonymous

Oh, these Balkan idiocies are so amusing! Too bad I don’t know any English-narrated equivalent from my country, but otherwise you can find the same nonsense here as well. I really liked how the movie started with Mongolian throat singing, followed by a bunch of Gypsies in some post-apocalyptic setting though. :D

Anonymous

Anonymous

Meh, that’s just a YouTube slideshow – we have lots of those. I was talking about semi-professional documentary-looking movies, maybe some autochtonist stuff, like this (but a documentary):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscSukfeRSk

Though I’d be especially interested if they made this into a documentary. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR3J0iyZbSY

Anonymous

Svevlad  “(like the mention of the Antes being descended from ancient Serbs and that the Serbs got their name from an ancient deity).”

Yeah I was skeptical about that too. But there are some sources in the description apparently non-Serbian Slavic historians have claimed this.  Did you read that?

Anonymous

Niklot_56 Can you name some historians or books that make that claim?

Anonymous

Svevlad 

Here I copied and pasted from the video:

Procopius: “the Sclavenes and Antes spoke the same language, but did not trace their common origin back to the Venethi but to a people called “Sorboi””. (550ad)
    Bavarian Geographer: “the people named Zeruiani had so large a realm that all Slavic peoples originated from them”. (870ad)
    Czech historian Josef Dobrovský: “If I had to give a common name for all the Slavs, it would be the name Serb”. (1813)
    Polish Historian Lorenz Surowiecki: “The name Serb is older than Slav for all peoples of Wendic ancestry”. (1828)
    Slovak historian Jozef Safarik: “Serbs was the oldest generic name for all Slavs” (1849). 

Anonymous

Reminds me of one guy here who in the past was spreading info about Jesus being a Serb, Spartacus being a Serb, and technically everyone was a Serb. 

Anonymous

Hah, fools. Every one of those mentioned was actually Bulgarian. Unless they meant Judas. He might’ve been a Serb.

Anonymous

Actually, the Procopius quote is presented incorrectly. The original goes as follows:
    “By the way, originally even the name of the Slavs [Sklavenoi] and the Antes was one and the same, because in olden times both the former and the latter were called “Sporoi”, I think because they lived dispersed in their land.”
    Similar subtle manipulations of the sources can also be found in the first (BG) video I posted, btw.

Anonymous

NikeBG most historians consider that to be a latin corruption of the word Serboi/Sorboi though. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.