• This topic has 4 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/False_Friends_of_the_Slavist/Polish-Croatian

It's too much to post in here, but it makes interesting reading.

There are of course differences in this list also, but still, majority is similar.

Anonymous

This additionaly proves that Croats and White Croats were related. Also one must keep in mind that Croatia has ethnic origin in modern Hrvatsko primorje and Dalmatia where some people still speak Čakavian a dialect named after word ča which means what. This ča is very similar to polish co in my opinion but i am not 100% sure.

Anonymous

I've been in Croatia at the beggining of April. And I had the fortune to talk privately with our guide Danica. She tells me a lot about similarities betweem Polish and Crotian, about good relationships. One thing that I will never forget is that the Croats thinks that the Poles are vulgar! That is for a misunderstanding. We say "Oh kurcze", and in Croat it means genitals in very vulgar expression. Another one is the word "frajer", for us it means a stupide person, when in Croat its an compliment (an atractive and beautiful person). That is what comes in my mind.

Whatever I will read that link maybe tomorrow. Tnx.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Another one is the word "frajer", for us it means a stupide person, when in Croat its an compliment (an atractive and beautiful person). That is what comes in my mind.

Haha, this is also among Czechs also! For Czech person, frajer is what girls say for boyfriend!
    I guess this means White Croats picked this up after they left Poland while in Czechia en route to their current homeland! ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Haha, this is also among Czechs also! For Czech person, frajer is what girls say for boyfriend!
    I guess this means White Croats picked this up after they left Poland while in Czechia en route to their current homeland! ;D

I've heard there was some trouble last summer when the Croatian border patrol officer asked "Ima li što kod cura?" (is there anything with the girls ( anything that has to be claimed before entering the country)) and they didn't understand and though he said "kocura" which apparently isn't something you say to a girl you saw for the first time in your life XD

IMO Polish is the hardest for me to understand, Russian and Ukranian are number 2, Czech and Slovak are pretty easy ( I'm in Praha and Bratislava very often), Slovenian and Macedonian the easiest…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Nexius
  • Lucifer Morningstar