• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I hope I have placed this in the proper forum.

Anyhow,
    I am  very interested in Sirin, however, there doesnt seem to be a lot of information about her, other than Wikipedia of course.

Can anyone give me anymore information about her? For some strange reason…I feel very attracted to her, and very interested in her..so I want to learn everything I can!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hm, it seems that name isn't common in South Slavic mithology (or perhaps we have another name for it.)
    By look and some characteristics they are like navi or svirci.

"Navi are Slavic demons, and in mythology they were the personification of death, kingdom of the dead and lord of Underground, or demons that were made from the souls of stillborn and unbaptized children. In the Bulgarian tradition imagined in the form of birds, with terrifying screams in the dark nights circling around the house and attacked pregnant women, nursing mothers and children. The Serbs and Croats called them nekrštenci or nevidinčići and imagined as a large bird with a children's heads. These are evil spirits that attack unbaptized children and nursing mothers. Farmers in particular are afraid of nekrštenci, who subtract milk from cows, sheep and goats. In Ukraine and Poland have imagined in a human or animal form, and called poterčuk or latawiec."

Anyway, you probably already check this http://bestiary.us/sirin.php, were Sirin is very well explained.

Anonymous

Actually I had never checked the Bestiary website…thanks!
    I am Serbian, and I have never heard of Sirin in South Slavic mythology…I THINK (could be wrong) that Sirin is…Russian?

Anonymous

Sirin is a mythological creature of Russian legends, with the head and chest of a beautiful woman and the body of a bird (usually an owl). According to myth, the Sirins lived "in Indian lands" near Eden or around the Euphrates River.

These half-women half-birds are directly based on the Greek myths and later folklore about sirens.They were usually portrayed wearing a crown or with a nimbus. Sirins sang beautiful songs to the saints, foretelling future joys. For mortals, however, the birds were dangerous. Men who heard them would forget everything on earth, follow them, and ultimately die. People would attempt to save themselves from Sirins by shooting cannons, ringing bells and making other loud noises to scare the bird off. Later (17-18th century), the image of Sirins changed and they started to symbolize world harmony (as they live near paradise). People in those times believed only really happy people could hear a Sirin, while only very few could see one because she is as fast and difficult to catch as human happiness. She symbolizes eternal joy and heavenly happiness .

The legend of Sirin might have been introduced to Kievan Rus by Persian merchants in the 8th-9th century. In the cities of Chersonesos and Kiev they are often found on pottery, golden pendants, even on the borders of Gospel books of tenth-twelfth centuries. Pomors often depicted Sirins on the illustrations in the Book of Genesis as birds sitting in paradise trees.

Sometimes Sirins are seen as a metaphor for God's word going into the soul of a man. Sometimes they are seen as a metaphor of heretics tempting the weak. Sometimes Sirins were considered equivalent to the Polish Wila. In Russian folklore, Sirin was mixed with the revered religious writer Saint Ephrem the Syrian. Thus, peasant lyrists such as Nikolay Klyuev often used Sirins as a synonym for poet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.