• This topic has 10 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Can you tell me more about Slavic afterlife ?

Anonymous

Is it possible that it's unknown where we go after we die  ???

Anonymous

Here is something i have found

A fairly typical cosmological concept among speakers of Indo-European languages, that of the World Tree, is also present in Slavic mythology. It is either an oak tree, or some sort of pine tree. The mythological symbol of the World Tree was a very strong one, and survived throughout the Slavic folklore for many centuries after Christianisation. Three levels of the universe were located on the tree. Its crown represented the sky, the realm of heavenly deities and celestial bodies, whilst the trunk was the realm of mortals. They were sometimes combined together in opposition to the roots of the tree, which represented the underworld, the realm of the dead.

The pattern of three realms situated vertically on the axis mundi of the World Tree parallels the horizontal, geographical organisation of the world. The world of gods and mortals was situated in the centre of the earth (considered to be flat, of course), encircled by a sea, across which lay the land of the dead, where birds would fly to every winter and return from in spring. In many folklore accounts, the concepts of going across the sea (idit) versus coming from across the sea (dolazit) are equated with dying versus returning to life. This echoes an ancient mythological concept that the afterlife is reached by crossing over a body of water. Additionally, on the horizontal axis, the world was also split; in this case by four cardinal points, representing the four wind directions (north, east, south, west). These two divisions of the world, into three realms on the vertical axis and into four points on the horizontal, were quite important in mythology; they can be interpreted in statues of Slavic gods, particularly those of the three-headed Triglav and the four-headed Svantevit.

Literacy arrived in these lands right along with Christianity (Moravia in 863, Bulgaria in 885, Poland in 966, and Russia in 988). Because of this, the best descriptions of Slavic idols and temples come from their Christian destroyers, such as bishop Otto of Bamburg and bishop Thietmar of Meresburg. Temples are often found at the highest point of a hill-fort. Typical offerings included acorns, grains, clay imitations of grains and bread, miniature and normal-sized pots & iron ornaments. As with many other Indo-European offshoots, Slavs believed in an afterlife (burialsites included implements and creature comforts to make their afterlife better). Christianity would have come to these lands much slower were it not for Constantius (later to become St Cyril) and Methodius (his brother). These two missionaries arrived in Moravia in 863 and had soon organized a national church, with services given in Slavic. They translated the Bible and other ecclesiastical texts into the Slavic spoken in Moravia. Since there was no written Slavik language, it had to be done phonetically using Greek, Samaritan, and oriental letters. This Bible found its way into almost all Slavic lands and its characters became the Glagolithic alphabet or Old Church Slavonic. This alphabet spread across the Slavic lands and is still used today in Greek Orthodox Slavic countries. I will discuss the many entities in the pantheon in subsequent posts.

Anonymous

Thanks Pentaz now at least I have some idea about what happens after death  :)

Anonymous

As one Russian in X century said to Arab Ibn Foslan: "You, Arabs, you are a stupid people, you are burying a man in the ground, where it is torn apart by animals and worms, and we burn him momentarily, so he would immediately go to heaven." ;D

Anonymous

In the times of Holy Roman Empire when Danes were Christianizing Slavs around rt.Arkona they were amazed and "disgusted" how Slavs used to burn their dead.

I guess their own traditions of burning their dead on the vikings ships got forgotten very fast…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    As one Russian in X century said to Arab Ibn Foslan: "You, Arabs, you are a stupid people, you are burying a man in the ground, where it is torn apart by animals and worms, and we burn him momentarily, so he would immediately go to heaven." ;D

;D

Anonymous

How is represented the afterlife? I mean hell, if ever there was a sort of heaven and hell. I remember also there was the Germanic Hel, for Christianity the hell, and so on. I also remember that the beliefs, while similar, differed in one thing. To the south the hell was hot made of lava, the North was cold made by ice. The influence of climate on this is clear, is the same for the beliefs of the Slavs of the South and North?

Anonymous

According to what we know from the Slavic folklore: "Another world (place were dead people go)" is designed in the form of three worlds who stand on each other. The upper world is in the sky, there are God's throne, heaven and hell. The middle world is one where people live, the lower is underground. In the lower world governments the devil, that is, in fact, replaced the god of the lower world (Dabog). Therefore, the underworld is not identical with hell, although sometimes, obviously under the influence of the Christian Bible, hell is localized in the lower world. According to some folk tales, "other world" in which dead leaving, lies somewhere beyond the sea. Pits and caves are the entrance to the underworld, and sometimes it enters threw waterway.

Folk believed that every man in the "other world" have the same needs as it had on this world. Therefore, above all, beware that a corpse is dressed in the best or trappings, sometimes with weapons. Beside the dead are placed different things of needs: bread, wine, water, brandy, basin, bucket, retraining, and more.

Pakao – HELL is used to imagined in the top, and sometimes in the lower world, but all known images of hell were made solely under the influence of Christianity. Old Slavic word пьклъ, known before they accepted Christianity, is in connection with Lithuanian words pikulas, piktis – the devil.

Raj – HEAVEN is imagined as a green and flower garden in the nicest part of the sky ("Behold the flower of the other world"), which corresponds to the old Slavic presentation of paradise recorded in 922. (Arab writer Ibn Fadlan). General Slavic word Raj, originating more from the time before they accepted Christianity, it signified a place where souls reside, and taken from the Iranian languages to the original meaning of wealth and happiness. In a later meaning of residence soul does not exclude the Hebrew and Christian influence."

Serbian mythological dictionary, Belgrade

Anonymous

The Slavic so called representation of everything.

[img width=478 height=700]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4nOOjB6XY0w/TF7qacdenDI/AAAAAAAAByk/Z_Wl-EoEH_Y/s1600/gal_rodsam.jpg”/>

In the beginning…

1. РОД, ROD-There was the son of the highest god, РОД, Rod, who was appointed to create the visible world, it would be of him, that all other gods would be born.  Everything that has to do with birth and life and family carries his name:

Родить- Give birth to

Родители-Parents

Родственники-Relatives

Родина- Native land

Природа- Nature

Rod separates his creation into three departments: The Heavens, The Earth, The Underworld(or the world of the past).

Правь- The heavens, inhabited by gods who behave themselves, who govern and enforce justice.

There are a plethora of words connected to this heavenly place, all having to do with rightness, justice, truth, guidance and all other good things that a higher power ordains to be good:

Правда- Truth

Право- Right (hand)

Правительсто-governing body

Правильно- Correct

Справедливость-Justice

Явь- The second kingdom was the kingdom of Явь, or the visible world, or earth. This is the root in words which have to do with visibility, becoming, or appearing, or concretely existing.

Явь-Reality

Явный- Evident

Являться-to exist as/to be

Появиться-to appear

Заявление-declaration

Навь-The underworld.  But according to the great lexicographer, Dal’s dictionary, it appeared in many dialects as a euphemism for death and hell.

Anonymous

I found interesting article about burial and afterlife :

Death and the Afterlife

Funeral Customs

After a death, the windows and doors of a house were left open so the soul could leave.

Early Slavs cremated the dead on pyres with earthly things, then put the ashes in an urn and buried it in a cairn; direct burial was a result of foreign influences. The dead were often buried with heads to the east. The burial included articles for the soul's journey, like food, drink, clothing and coins. In areas where it was believed that the soul must travel across a wise sea, the body was burned in boats, or buried in boat-shaped coffins.

At the graveside, profane jokes were sometimes made by masked men in Bohemia. After the funeral, a banquet was held and food left out for the dead soul. On the first night, water was left out too. Kuchiya is food for the dead and ancestors, a pudding made from barley groats and honey or wheat groats, poppy seeds and honey.

Ceremonies were held on the third, seventh, twentieth and fortieth days after the death, plus six months and a year. The rites were often performed at the grave site.

The Afterlife

The Thrice Tenth Kingdom was one version of the afterlife; its name comes from a folktale. It may lie beyond an impenetrable forest on the other side of a fiery river, or beyond or below the sea, or above or below the earth. To get there, one must climb up hillside of iron or glass to celestial land of goodness, so one must save one's nail clippings so that they would turn into talons after death for the climb to the other world. Other versions say the otherworld is located in the rainbow or in the Milky Way.

Nav is the name of the underworld, the realm of the dead, much like Hades. Volos and Lada were also said to reside here. Lada would return from the underworld in the spring. Ancestors were thought to dwell below earth, and cracks and holes in the earth were thought to be gates to underworld.

Anonymous

I remember a couple of things I've read a long time ago that pagan Slavs thought happened after death….

We would be burned and buried in a boat shaped casket because after we die we would have to sail through the ocean of wisdom.

We need to save some of our fingernail clippings so we can be buried with them because in the after life one of the obstacles would be having to climb over mountains of ice, these mountains were all around us and there is no way to walk around them, so our fingernails are the right tool for the job.

Sounds like after we die we have to undergo many tests of bravery, shrewdness, honesty, benevolence, cognition and drudgery.

The reason for being alive in this world is to learn all we can for the tests in the afterlife.  If you succeed in those tests then your soul goes on to become a sort of a "God" in a way and live among the Gods.

Anonymous

Jav, Prav and Nav are three worlds described in the Book of Veles. All three combine into Triglav that governs the Universe.

[li]Jav is the material world in which we are right now. Gods however are equally part of Yav. Yav is contained within Nav.

[/li]

[li]Nav is the immaterial world, the world of the dead. Stars, which are the souls of the dead, as well as Svarga and Irij, are parts of Nav.

[/li]

[li]Prav is the law of Svarog that governs both Jav and Nav. Modern parallels to this concept are laws of physics, but there is one big difference. The law that says that a stone falls when dropped is not only a mere observable fact: it is rightful, good and just that stones fall to the ground when dropped. A somewhat similar belief today is anthropic principle, but it only states that laws of physics are useful. This concept is similar to Dharma in Hinduism and Buddhism.[/li]

In many Slavic languages, "pravo" or "prawo" means "law", "rule", one's right to something, and the right side, "java", "javno" means reality, public. Pravoslavlje means literally "the glorification (slavlje) of gods law (Prav)" – once pagan, later replaced with the roman "christian gods" law.
    [hr]

[li]P.S. To be honest, I can start more with this pagan concept of world seeing, than with a semitic hippie carpenter that had no father. But since we inherited the Roman rule, and the Roman thrones (Vatican and Byzant once), we have to suit ourselves with the hippie carpenter.[/li]

Anonymous
    Cvetinov wrote:
    P.S. To be honest, I can start more with this pagan concept of world seeing, than with a semitic hippie carpenter that had no father. But since we inherited the Roman rule, and the Roman thrones (Vatican and Byzant once), we have to suit ourselves with the hippie carpenter.

Indeed! To be even more honest there I did not ever feel right until I did. Once I let go of the fear of burning in some hell of fire and brimstone, that was brainwashed into us from the time we started walking. Today I try to walk in harmony and respect of the entire universe. I believe it is all alive and it is all conscious. I believe it is us that need to figure out how to be right with the whole of creations. I think it's all energy and we are just a single instance of the "Rod" But I am learning as I go….at least I am trying to.

This is an excellent thread!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The reason for being alive in this world is to learn all we can for the tests in the afterlife.  If you succeed in those tests then your soul goes on to become a sort of a "God" in a way and live among the Gods.

And what if we don't succeed ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Glockamole
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • Fia