• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Does anybody know how Slovaks and other Slavic groups were able to keep on to their cultural heritage during Hungarian occupation? I am asking this question because my Slovak ancestors came over to the States before the creation of Czechoslovakia and they held on too their culture during Magyarization through centuries. Did any of your ancestors come over before the creation of independent Slavic states in 1918?

Anonymous

The same way as the other nations. Austria-Hungary was an entity inhabited by plenty of different nations. And these nations wanted to gain more and more rights – Hungary for example became equal to Austria because Austrian Empire itself became weakened by war with Prussia, and Hungarians were a powerful nation already – the Habsburgs were afraid that Prussians may convince Hungarians to turn their backs, so they had to give them independence. Poles in Galicia on the other hand were granted autonomy, similar to Croatia. Czechs wanted to get same rights as Habsburgs, but Austrian Germans were mad every time when in Czechia some law was made which equalled Czech and German language. Technically speaking, the general unrest in Austria-Hungary was a threat for the monarchy and it could collapse eventually. In fact, they had to do something to prevent it from collapsing, because everyone wanted something. Pangerman movements were ready to abandon Habsburgs in favour of Hohenzollerns from the Reich, if Slavs would be listened, while Slavs had their demands as well. In Hungarian part the government had an idea of magyarisation to decrease nationalist ideas among nations who lived in Transleithania (part controlled by the Hungarians), they wanted to prevent nations from split. But it seems the outcome was actually the opposite.   

Neoslavic movements were also helpful to prevent any “de-nationalisation”. 

Anonymous

Ruthenians of Hungary were Greek Catholic and the religion was an obstacle back in the days. In the case of Slovaks, Croats, southern Poles, Serbs of Novi Sad – some were magyarased in urban areas. Hungarians themselves are quite Slavic originally. Hungarians assimilated many Pannonian Slavs. Social class existed between people of rural and urban areas was also an obstacle.

Anonymous

Weren’t all Poles and Ruthenians located in Galicia? The Hapsburgs let Poland administer Galicia? Slovaks weren’t located in Galicia, except maybe for a minority. Western Galicia was Polish and Eastern Galicia was Ruthenian (Ukrainian). 

I think Slovak culture was preserved because many Slovaks immigrated in 19th century to Austria, due to extreme oppression by Hungary. 

Anonymous

There was no magyarisation of Poles, @Sviatogor

Anonymous

Magyarization didn’t take centuries. We kept our culture, traditions and language, when Magyars arrived and established their state on our land. Of course our culture evolved throughout the centuries and it was a little influenced by Magyars, but we weren’t magyarized.

Our language evolved as well, but since it wasn’t the official language and people didn’t use to travel so much, every region of Slovakia evolved different way. There’s a saying, when you cross a hill in Slovakia, you’ll hear a different dialect being spoken there. :)
    Our language has been influenced by Czech, Polish and Ukrainian (rather than Magyar), but it depends on which region we’re talking about.

Rusyn has also been influenced by surrounding languages. Rusyns don’t have their own state, so there are different dialects in every state they live in. I would like to know the differences between Slovak Rusyn and Ukrainian Rusyn, because to me, Slovak Rusyn looks like Slovak in Cyrillic with some exceptions here and there. :D As I’m reading Slovak-Rusyn dictionary, I see that Rusyn uses more loanwords from non-Slavic languages.
    You can check the dictionary here: http://www.rusyn.sk/data/att/7276_subor.pdf

Edit: The dictionary contains only “administrative” terms, so you won’t find animals and such things there.

Anonymous

It seems there are many similarities between (Eastern) Slovaks and Ukrainians. Ukrainians and Slovaks share a border in the Presov region, and both peoples have had similar social structures, daily life, language, and folk art. Eastern Slovaks make certain foods the same as Ukrainians.

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

I know. That’s because southern Poles didn’t live next to Hungarians having Slovaks between Hungarians and southern Poles. Also Galicia joined Austro-Hungary in late 18th century, while Slovaks and Panonnian Slavs lived with Hungarians side-by-side for centuries.

Anonymous

I think it really wasn’t much of a problem until the nationalism came up in late 18th century. Before that rulers and aristocracy didn’t care so much for language of their subjects. Work hard, pay your taxes, fight ruler’s battles and you’re good. The real trouble came in 1848 and after, those 70 years were dangerous, and they took an impact.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor, exactly. Galicia was a part of Cisleithania, governed by Austria, not Hungary. At some point received autonomy. Slovaks on the other hand lived in Transleithania which was governed by Hungary. Czechs for instance lived in Cisleithania too, so they didn’t experienced magyarisation neither (they were afraid of germanisation instead). 

@”Kapitán Denis”, are these dialects in Slovakia much different from each other? 

Anonymous

@Karpivna Yea, ukrainization was more intense and dramatic than magyarization. :D

@GaiusCoriolanus They used to be. Before Slovak was standardized and set as the official language, every region used its own vocabulary. Today, they use mostly standard Slovak words, just the pronunciation is different.

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” so looks similar to the situation of Polish language ;)

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” LOL Anyway, the Ukrainians got it at both ends. Polonization and Russification!  :s Turn left, screwed. Turn right, screwed. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.