• This topic has 3 voices and 1 reply.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

America has A Song of Ice and Fire, the English have Tolkien.

What Slavs have?

Witcher -Andrzej Sapkowski

Sapkowski's short stories and novels are appraised for their ironic sense of humor and subtle anachronisms (e.g. one of the wizards taking part in the Gathering of the Wizards is constantly complaining about "ecological" issues). Sapkowski tries to emphasize the shades of gray in everyone (e.g. one of the local rulers engaged in an incestuous relation with his own sister is shown as a caring father – at least according to the standards of Sapkowski's world).

The universe was never officially named by the writer; the largest entity – the continent – is simply called The Continent, and Polish fans have labeled the universe Wiedźminland ('Witcherland').

[size=10pt]Maria Vasilyevna Semyonova – Volkodav[/size]

The Wolfhound series

Волкодав (Wolfhound, 1995)
        Волкодав. Право на поединок (Wolfhound: The Right for a Fight, 1996)
        Волкодав. Знамение пути (Wolfhound: Sign of the Way, 2003)
        Волкодав. Самоцветные горы (Wolfhound: Emerald Mountains, 2003)
        Волкодав. Истовик-камень (Wolfhound: Stone of Rage, 2000)

Short descriptions by me: Volkodav is the last surviving of his tribe that has been brutally murdered. He spent his childhood and youth in the depths of Emerald Mountains, a hell from which no one returns alive. He seeks revenge, freedom for slaves and a new life. His journey takes him to and away from different places and different people.

One of the main themes are also the benevolent customs and highest values of pagan Slavs. In a sense it may be labelled' black-white' as there is ethical dichotomy: the Slavic spirit as mentioned against everything else which is decadent, harmful and rotten.

There is struggle and hardship, but violence is not explicit, so children may read it too. Not sex-obsessed, only few implications as natural part of the story.

If there has ever been something noble and Slavic in literature, this is it.

So this is my recommend no. 1.

Please recommend me what Slavic fantasy books you think are the best.

Anonymous

From what I’ve heard, Sapkowski is a skilled and subtle writer in his native language. However, I’ve heard numerous times that the English translations don’t measure up. Opinions?

Anonymous

Are we talking only about English-translated versions? Because I’ve read some great fantasy series on my own language (Nikolay Tellalov’s dragon series is just great), but it would be highly unlikely to find them abroad. Also, pure fantasy (no matter whether high or low) or historical fantasy as well?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • kony97
  • haver25
  • Glockamole
  • Tujev