• This topic has 4 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wBNn7UqLCk8/Sp83RurLWgI/AAAAAAAAAbs/rzuxIjZP_C0/s1600/celtic+mandala.jpg”/>

Since ancient times, themandala is one of the most sacred symbols in the Hindu religion. The circular shape is seen as a representation of wholeness and harmony (it's also been used to represent the cosmos), and sacred art in Hinduism often takes a mandala form. We know that this religious imagery came originally from the Aryans, when they came down into India. We also know that the relatives of the Aryans, such as the Celtic and Germanic peoples, also had mandala shapes in their art.

However, I'm curious about the Slavs. It's pretty much proven that Slavs are closely related to the Indian Aryans, so they probably have this religious imagery as well. I haven't found it, though, so I'd love to have some examples in this thread.

Here's a typical Celtic mandala:

Anonymous

Does one on the right below look like one? The pieces come from the spinning wheels which were decorated and given to women as presents. Some of the oldest symbols and ornaments from pre-Christian times are found on spinning wheels.

Some were re-drawn from on the paper. You may recognise mandalas.

More images of ornaments from spinning wheels: http://www.liveinternet.ru/journalshowcomments.php?jpostid=215895752&journalid=3879908&go=prev&categ=1

There is also a Slavic tradition to make an amulet (obereg) known as God's eye that was used to turn away evil eye from children. In many sources on the Internet it is stated that this is Slavic mandala

The information applies to eastern Slavs. The information comes from unchecked sources.

Anonymous

Poland has a long tradition in making paper cut-outs. We call them ‘Gwiozda’, which resemble  ‘mandalas’.  Some examples of paper cut-outs (wycinanki) from Łowicz, Masovia region, Central Poland.

[img width=700 height=696]http://muzeumlowicz.pl/img/galleries/wystawy_czas/Helena%20Rze%C5%9Bna,%20%C5%81owicz,%202009,%20w%C5%82asno%C5%9B%C4%87%20Muzeum%20w%20%C5%81owiczu.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Sviatogor wrote:
    There is also a Slavic tradition to make an amulet (obereg) known as God's eye

Speaking of the "God's eye" thing, I find it pretty fascinating how the Eastern Slavs have incorporated this old Aryan symbolism into their Christian religious art. I've found this mandala symbol in Russian Orthodox art, where it's also related to God's omniscience. I heard somewhere that ancient Scythian tribes also had mandalas (and that this would be where Russia got it from), although it's just as likely that it was a shared Aryan symbol of cosmic wholeness in ancient times.

Anonymous

Here's an example of a mandala shape in Eastern Orthodox religious art:

[img width=596 height=700]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/afterplay1/russmandala2.jpg” />

(Btw, interesting that Jesus is placed in the center of the circles. I've also seen Hindu mandalas that look exactly like this, but with an empty space in the central circle surrounded by the gods. Brahman, the creator of the universe, is meant to be that emptiness.)

Anonymous

I'm in love with these!!! I'm an avid lover of mandalas… and even create some myself.

These Polish ones posted by Prelja are just WOW! I honestly don't have better words for them!

And Sviatogor, those would definitely be considered mandalas from the research I've done personally on mandalas in general (not specifically related to one culture or not).

I hope more are posted!!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I'm in love with these!!! I'm an avid lover of mandalas… and even create some myself.

Rüdiger Dahlke's book Mandalas der Welt is a pretty good source for this stuff. It's got several hundred pictures of mandalas from different places and fairly in-depth descriptions of them. It starts off Hindu mandalas and shows the related Germanic and Anglo-Saxon symbols, and even has natural mandalas made of star constellations and snail shells. Definitely worth taking a look at. 

I hope more are posted!!

I sadly don't have any more pics of Slavic mandalas ( :( ), which was the reason why I started this thread. OTOH, this mandala of a spiral galaxy has always been one of my favorites:

Anonymous

There are many fancy mandalas made claimed to be Slavic in eastern Slavic countries. I wondered from which sources people took the ideas to reconstruct Slavic mandalas.  I was interested if mandala exisited in our folk arts in distant past. According to Boris Rybakov, who was a known a historian, the God's eye is one of the oldest Slavic symbols  used to turn evil eye from children. God's eye was put near the entrance to the house or above child's cot that attracts the attention of the evil eye.

Rybakov wrote in his book 'Paganism in ancient Rus': You may use google translate

Крестообразная композиция выражает идею распространения сил добра или охраняющих сил на все четыре стороны света» . «Божье око» помещают над входной дверью в дом, комнату, над кроватью ребенка, в место, которое хорошо видно входящему человеку. Яркий и неожиданный образ оберега притягивает внимание входящего, который забывает о недобром намерении по отношению к владельцам дома.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Here's an example of a mandala shape in Eastern Orthodox religious art:

(Btw, interesting that Jesus is placed in the center of the circles. I've also seen Hindu mandalas that look exactly like this, but with an empty space in the central circle surrounded by the gods. Brahman, the creator of the universe, is meant to be that emptiness.)

There are many old Christian depictions of an eye personifying God caring about the universe, the man and nature. The interpretation of Orthodox art is somewhat complex. I am not going to comment on the meaning used in the painting because I don't have enough knowledge on the subject. However, they all seem to represent sun, sky and the universe in one way or another.  Can these be classified as mandala?

Russia, 18th-19th centuries. ( There are newer versions provided in the source. I saw one from Poland too). Source: http://www.cirota.ru/forum/view.php?subj=70633&order=asc&pg=0

Anonymous

It looks like Slavs have mandala in their cultures.  :)

Anonymous

I currently design my mandalas using the computer, but I'm working on doing them better by hand… looks like I have more inspiration to do so now and incorporate Slavic symbolism. :)))

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I currently design my mandalas using the computer, but I'm working on doing them better by hand… looks like I have more inspiration to do so now and incorporate Slavic symbolism. :)))

You should share with the forum your mandalas once you finish them. :)

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You should share with the forum your mandalas once you finish them. :)

Definitely! Might be a little bit until I get around to it. I want to do a few in art market (I love them!!) and mixed media using leaves, flower petals, markers or paints, and various other things. When I do it though, I'll share. I'd share the ones I've done now, but they aren't slavic based at all. :)

Anonymous

Paper cut-outs from Kurpie, Mazovian region.

[img width=700 height=485]http://blog.ponoko.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/paper.jpg” />

[img width=700 height=478]http://majsterkowicz.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kurpianka-03366-2.jpg” />

[img width=700 height=525]http://x.garnek.pl/ga3983/9985db89b48f8a16034089a3/zamiast_firanki_kurpiowskie.jpg” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • some slavic guy...
  • slovborg
  • кошка
  • Nefario
  • Piachu
  • kony97