• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Slavic Sorcery Of Love

Not so long ago Slavic women used to practise sorcery – and some still do it – so they could enchant men and make them love. By this sorcery women could also chase a rival away or even destroy someone's love-affair. Women believed there is a fateful man for each of them. They said magical formulas and did acts that were believed to be magical, but only in certain days during a year or situations (before sunrise, when a bride walked from the church out, during a dance party), places (crossroads) and they had to use special tools (a wreath made of 9 various herbs, hair of beloved man, water from 7 springs, heart of female mole…). Sorcery was used by men towards women too, but not so often. In this thread we will collect those magical formulas and acts, I think it will be interesting not just for female, but also male members.  :)

What did Slovak women do and say when they decided to enchant a man? E.g. this is a magic formula used in the 19th century:

„A ty dub, ty ho ľúb,
    a ty buk, ty ho buď,
    a ty klen, ty ho žeň,
    a ty šíp, ty ho štíp,
    a ty lieska, za ním vrieskaj,
    a ty vaz, ty ho viaž,
    a ty svíb, ty ho šib!“

And you oak, love him,
    and you beech, wake him up,
    and you maple, marry him,
    and you briar, sting him,
    and you hazel, scream at him,
    and you elm, tie him up,
    and you dogberry, whip him!"

Another tool of sorcery was the apple. From November 25 till December 21 (these days are called Stridžie dni / Strigônske dni – Days of Witches) a girl bite a little of apple off and if the apple rots, it was a sign any man will never marry her. If not, she stood up in front of the house on December 24 and while eating the rest of apple she was looking around – looking for a man, her lover. When she saw a man – his name was to have been the same as the name of her future husband.

Around a town Zlaté Moravce a girl put an apple into water and she washed herself in this water every day. On December 24 she took this apple into the church and on the way home she was eating it. The name of the first man she met was have to been the same as the name of her future husband. In Liptovská Teplička after the mass on Christmas, girls used to throw these apples into young men to know the name of their future husbands.

In Central Slovakia a girl poured a little of water from a well off into a special pot and before going to a mass she washed her face in this water. The man who touched her with his clothes in the church and wiped her face, was supposed to become her husband. Around a town Trenčín a girl took an egg on St. Lucy Day and on Christmas she poured its white into cold water off. Then she guessed the profession of her future husband seeing the shape of the white. In the region Horehronie girls stole a bit of flour from 9 widows, made a dough of it, tore it off into pieces and into every piece they had to hide a paper with names of men. Then they put them into water and picked a piece – choosen name was the name of their future husband.

In Western Slovakia girls took water from ford ways with which they poured a place in front of the house (door) shaped in various ornaments and they said, e.g. "Neodlievam, neprilievam, švárnych mládencov, vdovcov, pytačov za sebou volám." – I'm not pouring off, I'm not pouring on, I'm calling handsome lads, widowers, wooers to me.

Well-known way of oracle was 13 papers with 12 names and 1 blank paper. Every day a girl burnt one paper. On Christmas she opened the last one. Another sorcery was casting a plumbum or wax.

Girls used to shake fences or cherry-woods and whitewashed windows. They said:

"Trasiem, trasiem les.
    Kde šteká pes,
    tam je môj odsúdenec dnes."

I'm shaking a forest.
    Where a dog barks,
    there is my convict today.

From where she heard a barking dog, that way she should go.

Girls also used mostly alcoholic drinks into which they admixed cut hair of them or even their menstrual blood. A man who drank this, should stop notice another girls and loved only the one. Or a girl tied together two pieces of her and his underclothes and buried it under a cross on cementery, so her man will be faithful to her till death.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Slavic Sorcery Of Love

Not so long ago Slavic women used to practise sorcery – and some still do it – so they could enchant men and make them love. By this sorcery women could also chase a rival away or even destroy someone's love-affair. Women believed there is a fateful man for each of them.

Oh great. I feel safe now! But hey the fateful men part…. Alright we are fateful but what about you women! :P

[size=8pt]PS; Swaty you have to explain now!!! ;D[/size]

Anonymous

oh women  ;D

Anonymous

This is a very rich part of folkore. Can't wait to read more :). Thanks for this thread, Svätoslava .

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Oh great. I feel safe now! But hey the fateful men part…. Alright we are fateful but what about you women! :P

[size=8pt]PS; Swaty you have to explain now!!! ;D[/size]

Don't worry, my friend, everything is alright, trust me..  ;D  I don't have to explain anything  :P

Quote:
    oh women  ;D

What?! …  :D

Quote:
    This is a very rich part of folkore. Can't wait to read more :). Thanks for this thread, Svätoslava .

Yep, our grandmothers were pretty smart  :D

Anonymous

So you women are witches aftrall? ;D

Anonymous

The connection between witches/broomsticks and flying high explained :D

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1344/whats-the-deal-with-witches-and-broomsticks

Trolling through the works of medieval and Renaissance writers, Harner finds a number of instances in which witchy hallucinations follow a potent hit of drugs. How were these drugs administered? Typically in the form of an ointment. Where was this ointment applied? To the skin, of course, but more effectively to the mucous membranes. Where can one find mucous membranes? In the vagina, among other places. How would one apply ointment to one's vagina? Well, one can always count on one's fingers, I suppose. But you could also use, uh, a pole. And where might one find a pole in the average peasant household? A broomstick. Bingo.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So you women are witches aftrall? ;D

That's nothing new, is it?  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's nothing new, is it?  ;D

It actually really isn't. ;) But I like to hear it from women themselves. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It actually really isn't. ;) But I like to hear it from women themselves. :D

I have no problem to admit the facts  ;D  :P

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have no problem to admit the facts  ;D  :P

And should evryone. :) Not that I would ever claim you not being witches, but I try not to offend people (so often :P).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nexius
  • 'las
  • Fia
  • kony97
  • Tujev