Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

In the West a stereotype about Slavs, especially Russians is that they are very tough and hardy people. Do you think this is true and if so, why? Would this apply to Balts?

Anonymous

I have heard this about Slavs and Balts, but it is far from a positive image. "Tough and hardy" because they work in the fields in vast farmland or un-modernized factories. Also "tough" becuase they can drink a ton of vodka. Russians are also shown as "tough" in movies as Red Army soldiers, just watch Rambo II, and this goes with the "Slavic brute" stereotype. It is an image that I greatly despise.

Anonymous

Many Russian live in homes with bad heating and no hot water. Many have terrible life so i guess there is some spark of truth in that but i dont think it has anything to do with being a Russian. Its more to be a person who is born and bred in bad conditions.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Its more to be a person who is born and bred in bad conditions.

True, but the Western generalization is that all of Slavic Europe is like this, save for the capital cities. But, in my view, there are just as many poor and run down rural places even in the USA. The Ozarks, for example… every Western-made stereotype of Slavs can be found right there… in the heart of the USA.

Anonymous

That may be true. I have met lots of British people who are like this. I think the tough image is better than being seen as some sort of effeminate and coward.

Anonymous

True, but the Western generalization is that all of Slavic Europe is like this, save for the capital cities. But, in my view, there are just as many poor and run down rural places even in the USA.

I dont deny this. As it was said by you its more like stereotype. Still i think Russians especialy in northern rural areas have much tougher life becouse of extreme weather and hard working conditions. But then again that was realistic mostly in early 90's when Soviet Union collapsed and economy was in bad shape, nowdays Russians probably live quite good.

Anonymous

Well, from what I saw, our old people here are far tougher than people their age elsewhere. Eighty year olds, working on the fields, physical work that a person in his best mid-twenties from the "urban west" cannot even imagine today, climbing mountain peaks, fighting wolves, encountering bears (this is not exaggerating, although seldom).

[li]I saw a report of an old man talking about his encounter with a bear. When they asked him "How come the bear left, without hurting you?" he answered "The clever give in."[/li]

The life here was always tough, with wars every fifty years, I do agree that it made the people here more sturdier, tougher than average.

Anonymous

Thats true Cvetinov but we shouldnt forget Serbia also has very good climate which has positive influence on your body. I mean you people live relatively in highly elevated country and you have benefit of warm Adriatic winds. Still it true that life in countryside no matter where demands heavy work.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Growing up in Canada I have also seen the Slavic toughness thing, however from the way I see it It's not because of farming or working in factories but because of sheer brutal dedication of Slavic Warriors. By that I mean the West was shocked at the way the Russians fought with their Red Army (Commissars, Executioners, Vast hordes etc) but this showed a brutal determination that made these Slavic warriors seem very tough. Same view on the Yugoslav's who fought in one of Europe's bloodiest wars but all emerged, bloodied. Basically… we've been in the shit but come out each time – badly bloodied but victorious. Some of us survive in the harshest weathers on the planet (Rus) others have been warring for countless ages (I think all of us LOL) against Germans, Ottomans, w.e.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Westerners love their stupid stereotypes. Slavs/Balts/Eastern European men are usually portrayed as ugly, brutal and primitive vodka drinkers and criminals and Eastern European women as dominatrix whores, while n*****s and latinos are portrayed as masculine heroes (even if they are criminals), Western males are portrayed as total fags/metrosexuals, white females are portrayed as dumb blondes who love n*****s and black/mixed-race women are portrayed as something beautiful/desireable. Asians seem to have mixed portrayals, but usually their women are also easy whores and men are either triad criminals or geeky computer nerds.

And sadly, this Holywood stereotyping has left mark on ignorant idiot Westerners who think Poland is next to Pittsburg.
    For this, I stereotype Westerners < shit.

Well this is just true, look at your average American, British, Swedish, German male. They are.

Anonymous

There are many tough people in the world; I think a better question would be why Western Europeans are so effeminate.  And it is not a 'recent thing', Dandies (Metro Sexuals / Latent Homosexuals) were a storm in 1790s London and Paris and the staples of Western European fashion, for centuries, was a combination of dresses, wigs, makeup and high-heel shoes. 

There were only two Russian kings who wore wigs and one of them was Peter III (assassinated by his more masculine wife) and the Polish kings who wore wigs all had imported parents from Western Europe.

We could claim we were toughen up by the Mongols but I think, more accurately, effeminacy in Western Europe can be traced to Ancient Rome (many Patricians were very effeminate).

Quote:
    Growing up in Canada I have also seen the Slavic toughness thing, however from the way I see it It's not because of farming or working in factories but because of sheer brutal dedication of Slavic Warriors. By that I mean the West was shocked at the way the Russians fought with their Red Army (Commissars, Executioners, Vast hordes etc) but this showed a brutal determination that made these Slavic warriors seem very tough. Same view on the Yugoslav's who fought in one of Europe's bloodiest wars but all emerged, bloodied. Basically… we've been in the shit but come out each time – badly bloodied but victorious. Some of us survive in the harshest weathers on the planet (Rus) others have been warring for countless ages (I think all of us LOL) against Germans, Ottomans, w.e.

The values are different, my Grandmother won't throw away a rag and my cousins and I aren't afraid to be around firearms and we've all worked on farms in our life.
    I can't really say the same about the Swedish side (although most of my 'Swedish' countries are not Swedish but have half Italian or Irish ancestry), good looking and tall and yet half of them have or want Asian girlfriends and most are effeminate by Slavic standards.  Although the most effeminate (European) men I've ever met and seen in Canada had always been Franco-Canadian.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Westerners love their stupid stereotypes. Slavs/Balts/Eastern European men are usually portrayed as ugly, brutal and primitive vodka drinkers and criminals and Eastern European women as dominatrix whores, while n*****s and latinos are portrayed as masculine heroes (even if they are criminals), Western males are portrayed as total fags/metrosexuals, white females are portrayed as dumb blondes who love n*****s and black/mixed-race women are portrayed as something beautiful/desireable. Asians seem to have mixed portrayals, but usually their women are also easy whores and men are either triad criminals or geeky computer nerds.

And sadly, this Holywood stereotyping has left mark on ignorant idiot Westerners who think Poland is next to Pittsburg.
    For this, I stereotype Westerners < shit.

Poland is next to Pittsburgh and is a manufacturer of dancing poles, Ukraine is the Russian word for Russian, the Baltic is a store franchise similiar to Banana Republic, et cetera.

Sometimes these stereotypes aren't so bad, all the perverts / rapists looking for 'blond babes' go to Sweden and spend $15 a beer, as opposed to taking advantage of impoverished people in Riga or Tallinn.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There are many tough people in the world; I think a better question would be why Western Europeans are so effeminate.  And it is not a 'recent thing', Dandies (Metro Sexuals / Latent Homosexuals) were a storm in 1790s London and Paris and the staples of Western European fashion, for centuries, was a combination of dresses, wigs, makeup and high-heel shoes. 

There were only two Russian kings who wore wigs and one of them was Peter III (assassinated by his more masculine wife) and the Polish kings who wore wigs all had imported parents from Western Europe.

We could claim we were toughen up by the Mongols but I think, more accurately, effeminacy in Western Europe can be traced to Ancient Rome (many Patricians were very effeminate).

Quote:

The values are different, my Grandmother won't throw away a rag and my cousins and I aren't afraid to be around firearms and we've all worked on farms in our life.
    I can't really say the same about the Swedish side (although most of my 'Swedish' countries are not Swedish but have half Italian or Irish ancestry), good looking and tall and yet half of them have or want Asian girlfriends and most are effeminate by Slavic standards.  Although the most effeminate (European) men I've ever met and seen in Canada had always been Franco-Canadian.

I saw a post from you saying that your family went to Canada in the 1880's. I'm 95% sure the first Ukrainian immigrants didn't land in Canada until about 1891,1892

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I saw a post from you saying that your family went to Canada in the 1880's. I'm 95% sure the first Ukrainian immigrants didn't land in Canada until about 1891,1892

Incorrect,
    a few Google searches will confirm that there were Ukrainian migrants in Southern Manitoba in the 1870s.  The immigration wave, as you are thinking of Iwan Pylypow, came in the 1890s and that was scattered between Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The initial branch was here in the 1880s but most of my relatives came in the 1890's and a couple came in 1945-8, largely due to the Soviet Union's annexation of Galicia and Volhynia (Ruthenian Reunification, as the Carpathian Ukraine was under Hungary in 1939, may had been a grand moment in 1945 but it also coincided with the NKVD's gulags and terror).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • ca$hbunni
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Nefario