• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I've been reading about the entheogenic cultures throughout history and I've wondered if the early pagan Slavs where involved in entheogenic practices because of our obsession with mushrooms.

Anonymous

?
    psychoactive mushrooms werent used

Anonymous
    Quote:
    ?
    psychoactive mushrooms werent used

Except for later in the middle ages and so on. I can imagine some Jaga baba, filled with mushrooms, running like crazy through the woods, searching for a passage in the next world. ;D

Anonymous

There's a theory that Proto-Indo-European people used Amanita muscaria as an entheogen (which is – or was – used as such in Siberia too).

Still, there's no info about Slavs using them, AFAIK. The usual Slavic drug was alcohol – in beer or mead.

Anonymous

Like tqr said. Beer & mead were the drugs for Slavs. Especially mead imho. Beer was often very low in alco for daily consumtion. Or at least was among Slovenes especially Carinthians. Later Slavs that evolved into Slovenes also started to make wine and cider. I really wonder when that started however. My theory is very soon after arrival cuz modern schoolary reasearches agree that many "Romans" or better said romanised aboriginals remained in the area and probably passed on viticulture, etc.

Aynways mushroom madness is not just among Slavs. Italians are mad bout them too. :D Indeed for a long time i tought Slovene mushroom madness was passed via Italians. I know they like to anhaliate Slovene countryside cuz mushroom picking there is quite regulated and limited.

Btw my grandma sometimes but rarely uses Amanita muscaria but actually she prepares it in a such a way all "halugenic" properties are absent. So intention is to eat it as normal food. She told me procedure for that but tbh i forgot exactly how its done. I can ask if anyone is interested ofc. Hehe.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Like tqr said. Beer & mead were the drugs for Slavs. (…)

Although I'm pretty sure they used other plant-origin drugs too, but these would be not for often and wide use.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Like tqr said. Beer & mead were the drugs for Slavs. Especially mead imho. Beer was often very low in alco for daily consumtion. Or at least was among Slovenes especially Carinthians. Later Slavs that evolved into Slovenes also started to make wine and cider. I really wonder when that started however. My theory is very soon after arrival cuz modern schoolary reasearches agree that many "Romans" or better said romanised aboriginals remained in the area and probably passed on viticulture, etc.

Aynways mushroom madness is not just among Slavs. Italians are mad bout them too. :D Indeed for a long time i tought Slovene mushroom madness was passed via Italians. I know they like to anhaliate Slovene countryside cuz mushroom picking there is quite regulated and limited.

Btw my grandma sometimes but rarely uses Amanita muscaria but actually she prepares it in a such a way all "halugenic" properties are absent. So intention is to eat it as normal food. She told me procedure for that but tbh i forgot exactly how its done. I can ask if anyone is interested ofc. Hehe.

Producing wine here must be pretty old, I agree. I read once in a paper about a Slovene (you might know him, some Zlatko guy, I think, with a big beard and glasses) who sometimes dries mušnca mushroom and smokes it then. He said it makes him kind of stoned, but he can concentrate well after it.  ;D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • pringles vending machine
  • slovborg
  • kony97
  • Glockamole
  • haver25
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta