• This topic has 6 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Shot in the dark, but I wasn't able to find anything in terms or location or meaning of the following names:

Riha (Czech)
    Cahoj (Slovak) (Csahoj when in the Austian-Hungarian Empire)

Any help would be appreciated….and rather shocking XD

Anonymous

There are two villages that are used to be called csahoj:
    Nyírcsaholy in Hungary
    Oláhcsaholy and Magyarcsaholy in Romania (Cehal and Cehăluț in Romanian), forming together the village Cehal

Oláhcsaholy was named after its lord, the Csaholyi family (this surname means "originating from Csaholy", in this case Nyírcsaholy).

Nyírcsaholy is the "earlier" one. Its name is probably Slavic. First mentionned as Chahol, in the 13. century.

By the way, csahoj is a rare regional term for "dewy grass" in Hungarian (as for its Slavic meaning, other forum members are more competent, I think)

For čahoj, Google gives plenty of people with this surname, but no location or else.
    For čahoľ, I found nothing.

There is another village nearby with a similar name, Csaholc. The village's webpage says its related to the Slavic name CACH meaning "the people belonging to CACH" (sic, they wrote it with capital letters twice). Any idea?

Anonymous

Ahoj, rodák.  :)

Čahoj is a common surname in Slovakia. About its origin Kovi has already given you a hint, although a Slavic meaning is unknown to him. Sounds ČahojCsaholy have almost the same sound, the only difference are written systems of Slovak and Magyar languages, so that's not the matter. I guess you know how it sounds – something like Cha- (as in cha-cha-cha dance) -hoy (as in hoyden).

Word Čahoj has changed several times during the time. In fact it derives in an all Slavic word čachol, čechel or čechol, which is a part of clothing – something like a woolfell made of fleece (also in North Slovakia čachol is a female linen skirt with upper clothing). It is common that villages were named after a main production of their inhabitants – in this case Slavs once living in those places had been producing clothing and the toponymy has remained in a slightly distored form till now.

Although Č (ch) has remained, other sounds are interchangeable: a <-> e; h <-> ch (English kh); e <-> o.

As for Csaholc – CECH or CACH, the author is a bit wrong, but in a logical way he is right. Cech or Cach in Slovak language was a guild of people of the same handicraft. So yes, those people created a guild where they manufactured clothing. That's it.  :)

Sources:
    http://www.nulk.cz/ek-obsah/narvystava/html/kniha/texty/nv-0201.htm
    http://books.google.sk/books?id=5FUyAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA344&lpg=PA344&dq=%C4%8Dechol&source=bl&ots=v4vATf6lVA&sig=9aa2m9ro2JnIRYjpk3nNhxM7PzI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jHvpUq6bNcPRtQaW8YHgCw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=%C4%8Dechol&f=false

Říha is a Czech surname indeed. In Slovakia it was changed to Riha. Unfortunately, I have no idea what does it mean. The only meaning I have found is this: Říha is a nickname of Gregory in Czech language. I don't know if it's valid.

Anonymous

It's a great explanation. Maybe I'd better have remained silent and let it up to you. I just saw the question about a possible location or name that could be traced back to the AH-era, and rapidly made some search about it. Anyway, the more info we find, the more we know, and at least this cach village name sidetrack has also been solved. :)

Anonymous

First, D'akujem to both of you. I'm impressed that I even got a response on this. I'm a third/fourth generation American (sad face) and I'm just trying to figure out who I am. Neither of the names, according to a semi-unreliable family tree, have symbols on them, but you guys are probably right XD

Again, thanks for the help, it means alot :)

Anonymous

Kovi, the other way, it is very positive that you've made a research yourself and let us know about it. I highly appreciate it.  ;)  Keep helping us.

Crazyfist, I'm always glad to help out if I'm able to. If I may ask you, what is your other ancestry? I see Slovak and Czech, but if you are third/fourth generation American, I suppose you've got more ancestors of different origin. What do you think how you look like? Do people guess you Slavic? Perhaps you can send me a photo of you and I can figure it out, if you pass in Slovakia or Czech rep. I promise I wouldn't share your pic with anyone. It's all up to you.

By the way, if you know any other Slovak who would like to reveal origin of his/her surnames, redirect these people to Slavorum. I will try my best to help them.  :)

Anonymous

Haha I've already told people (my dad's family) about it! Now they have to learn how to use a computer I guess hahaha

Anyways, yes, there are many different ancestries, especially on my mom's side.
    Dad (Cahoy, with American spelling of course :(  )- German, Czech, Slovak
    Mom- Irish, Swede, Cherokee (Native American), German, Rome (as in the Cesars)

So yes, I have some identity issues like most Americans lol 
    Most people either say I look German/Slav or Russian. Why Russian I don't really know. When I tell people that I'm Czech-Slovak they seem to recognize it.
    As for a picture, I'm currently having issues with my camera, so if I ever win that battle, I will try and send one. 

Anonymous

Oh, and what is rodák…v anglicky? (Pretty sure that's wrong  ;D)

Anonymous

I see  :)  How come you indetify yourself as Czech-Slovak? Because of your surname?

Rodák… po anglicky or v angličtine… means a native of one ancestry (rod = a kin). So you're slovenský rodák.  :)

Anonymous

It's complicated, but yes, the surname, my looks, (according to my dad) how I act, and how awesome all Slavs are. From language, food, and history….it's just really cool. I don't necessarily ignore the other origins, but I don't feel meaning or belonging when I say I'm 10 different things XD So I picked the one I believed I felt belonging in

Anonymous

I like this thread. I'm going to jump in here if you all don't mind. Anyone know anything about the surname Malik. Moved to America in the early 1900s(I believe in the late 20's). Family is from Bratislava. I believe outside the city though.

Anonymous

@Slovanske Hi Slovanske.  :)  Malik, or more precisely Malík or Málik are common Slovak surnames as well. I believe they're derived of a word malý which means small. -ik is a suffix indicating a person (male in this case, for female you need to add +ová). I admit that there might be other explanations, too. Btw. this surname has nothing to do with Arabian word/surname Malik.

Anonymous

@Svätoslava Thank you for the response.

Anonymous

anyone still on here? I finally found my password back and I am amazed by how much you guys know about my mom’s maiden name :) Her dad was SO passionate about Czech Culture so I am just continuing the tradition. :)

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

@m14191 we’re all here :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • some slavic guy...
  • Glockamole
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Nefario
  • Piachu