Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The Slovaks were surprised when the Hungarians recognised their new state as early as March 15. However, Hungarians were not satisfied with their frontier with Slovakia and, according to Slovak sources, weak elements of their 20th Infantry Regiment and frontier Guards had to repulse a Hungarian attempt to seize Hill 212.9 opposite Uzhhorod. In this, and the subsequent shelling and bombing of the border villages of Nižné Nemecké and Vyšné Nemecké, the Slovaks claimed to have suffered 13 dead and they promptly petitioned the Germans, invoking Hitler's promise of protection.

On March 17, the Hungarian Foreign Ministry told the Germans that Hungary wanted to negotiate with the Slovaks over the eastern Slovak boundary on the pretext that the existing line was only an internal Czechoslovak administrative division, not a recognised international boundary, and therefore needed defining now that Carpatho-Ukraine had passed into Hungarian hands. They enclosed a map of their proposal that shifted the frontier some 10 kilometres west of Uzhhorod, beyond Sobrance, and then ran almost due north to the Polish border.

The Hungarian claim partly relied on the 1910 census, which stated that Hungarians and Ruthenians, not Slovaks, formed the majority in north-eastern Slovakia. In addition to the demographic issue, Hungarians also had another excuse in mind, that they were trying to protect Uzhhorod and the key railway to Poland up the Uzh River, which was well within view of the current Slovak border. They therefore resolved to push the frontier back a safe distance beyond the western watershed of the Uzh Valley.

Berlin let the Hungarians know that it would acquiesce to such a border revision, and told Bratislava so. On March 18, the Slovak leaders in Vienna for the signing of the "Treaty of Protection" were grudgingly forced to accept this, and Bratislava ordered Slovak civil and military authorities to pull back. All other potential Hungarian requests were supposed to be illegal in Slovakia.

The Hungarians were aware that Slovakia had signed a treaty guaranteeing Slovakia's borders on March 18 and that it would come into force when Germany countersigned it. They therefore decided to act immediately, so as to not embarrass their German ally later, and to take advantage of the disorganized Slovak army, which had not yet fully consolidated. Thus their forces in western Carpatho-Ukraine began to advance from the River Uzh into eastern Slovakia at dawn on March 23, some six hours before Joachim von Ribbentrop countersigned the "Treaty of Protection" in Berlin.

Is the dispute still ongoing or is the matter settled today?

Anonymous

Border dispute? No, there isn't anything like that any more.
    But there is a 'land dispute', Magyars say, Slovakia is Hungary. :D Everything or Nothing! :D
    OK, I'm making fun of it,  ::) but that border dispute is actually pasé nowadays.

Anonymous

I have always been very sad about this fight of Hungarians and Slovaks. Both are great people and I wish it were different.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have always been very sad about this fight of Hungarians and Slovaks. Both are great people and I wish it were different.

I am sceptic about this isue. Magyars are since early childhood exposed to propaganda that says them, that Slovaks stole "their" land, that Slovaks are some kind of "untermenschen", that Magyars are divine people chosen by god to rule other nations and so on. And I will not mention here their version of history that lacks elementary logic.

Anonymous
    Quote:

I wish it too.. but I must agree with Sitňan, although in my opinion there's a difference between Hungarians from Slovakia and those from Hungary. Our Hungarians think a bit otherwise.

Anonymous

It's common European ethnic nationalism. ;) It is seen all over European between rival nations. I don't take sides personally, since I like both countries in this case, but unfortunately, I can only expect this situation to remain.

Anonymous

I am also not happy about this conflict. Hungarians are link between south and rest of Slavs and if that link does not work… :-
    Also, I am wondering why is there conflict in the first place? "Foreign powers" ( those who hold the world money) played a chess game on European map while our peoples where in blood up to our knees with every move they made.  >:(

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am also not happy about this conflict. Hungarians are link between south and rest of Slavs and if that link does not work… :-

And what about Romania? We have good relations with them.

Anonymous

Romania is the key country for us. Hungary in no case.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

I am sceptic about this isue. Magyars are since early childhood exposed to propaganda that says them, that Slovaks stole "their" land, that Slovaks are some kind of "untermenschen", that Magyars are divine people chosen by god to rule other nations and so on. And I will not mention here their version of history that lacks elementary logic.

This is reality…

Anonymous

Little of I learned…

Before Empire Hungary was destroyed by Trianon, they called Slovakian minister to tell him, that Slovakians can have a state if they wish, and do there whatever they want. That state however was smaller than today Slovakia, or WW2 Slovakia (This imagined Slovakia would have borders by not containing the Cities Bratislava,Kosice, Banská Bystrica). This was not happened than…

Read somewhere that Hitler ordered Horthy to Berlin before the end of Czehoslovakia, and wanted to make Horthy to make the whole Slovakia to be part of Hungary. But Horthy said no…

There were some arguing in that times when Slovakia was created so far, read somewhere that Slovakians wanted cities like Vác, Miskolc…

Well, this is end of off topic.

Today's Slovakia should be recognized as it exists… The only border change I would support is Seklerland, Eastern Transylvania, where they live in majority even today

Anonymous

There were some arguing in that times when Slovakia was created so far, read somewhere that Slovakians wanted cities like Vác, Miskolc…

Yeah, there were some efforts of Czecho-Slovak government to go more southern due to Slovaks in those areas (around Vác and Miskolc).

Current map of municipalities in Hungary in which still lives Slovak minority, mostly in regions Pilis (Pilíš -> from Slovak pleš /baldness/); Nógrad (Novohrad -> from Slovak nový hrad /new castle/); Zemplén (Zemplín -> from eastern Slovak/Ruthenian word zem.. /ground, land/, Zrkadlo could say); Mátra and Bukk mountains (Matra and Buk -> from Slovak buk /beech/); and Bácska (Báčka). Official numbers of Slovaks are between 11 000 – 17 000, but non-official numbers are about 100 000. After the dissolution of kingdom of Hungary (after WW1) both of succession states modern Hungary and Czecho-Slovakia were supposed to have the same amount of Hungarian minority on one side and Slovak minority on the other side (400 000 – 500 000), while 70 000 of Hungarians were relocated from Czecho-Slovakia to Hungary and 70 000 of Slovaks were relocated from Hungary to Czecho-Slovakia. Nowadays the Hungarian minority in Slovakia still numbers almost 500 000, while Slovak minority in Hungary is almost fully assimilated mostly thanks to educational system (there is no pure Slovak school in Hungary, all of them are bilingual and Slovak language is taught as a foreign language just like English or German, so-called Slovak high-schools are just a tragicomedy, even teachers can't speak Slovak properly, actually their Slovak is so poor).

[img width=700 height=460]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EdtSm1CwIPA/S77zYlp61CI/AAAAAAAAAoU/sZ829Qhxato/s1600/mo.gif” />

Anonymous

ňach ňach ňach :D

Zemlen, Zemlin – a settlement made of/fortified by soil, land walls. Nasal m => mb/mp, compare with zemljanka.
    Žempľin – modern version
    Zemplín – literary Slovak version
    Zemplén – Hungarian version, pronounciation is the same as in literary Slovak.

Anonymous

Thank you. From linguistic point of view a core of the word is zem- /soil/.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You have good opinion in huns? Well , if you ask a hun about Ukraine, they will not have the same good opinion back…

The Hungarians I met so far were very friendly people. I'm not really worried about what some lunatics think – should they attempt to grab for our land they would be beaten up within a few hours. In fact, Ukraine could conquer all of Hungary within a few days if we wanted. So there's really no need to pay attention to some megalomaniacs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.