• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This native Russian speaker makes vlogs and other youtube videos in Slovak and Russian. Here he tests his Slovak friend and sees if he can guess the meaning of Russian words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIO4nqOZDos

How much could you understand of the Russian words?

Anonymous

Молоко, спички, кот. And that ласточка летай – it was a guess, but it sounds similar in Slovak. But I’m not sure if they got it right, because he translated it as lastovička letí, which should be ласточка летает, as far as I can tell.

Anonymous

All of the words. :D

Anonymous

@Sviatogor what about understanding Slovak? Was it hard to understand?

Anonymous

@srdceleva

I understood general discussion. But not all of it.

Anonymous

Перец shown on the picture is actually болгарский перец – Bulgarian perets (Paprika). Because black pepper is chorny perets, red hot chilli pepper is gorkiy perets or ostriy perets.

Блатной парень – блатной is slang originated among inmates . So it’s unfair to ask other for the meaning of the term.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor yea slang is almost impossible to get, even Americans and British don’t understand each other’s slang. 

How is your understanding of west Slavic languages? Is Polish easy for you to understand as a Belarusian, also are czech and Slovak both equally understandable or is one more than the other. I spoke to a couple of Russians once who had traveled quite a bit jn the Czech republic, Poland, and Slovakia. They told me they all could understand Slovak the best from the three and Czech the worst. I’m assuming Belarusians will understand Polish much better than Russians though 

Anonymous

@srdceleva
    Polish is easier to understand than Slovak for me. But I am not as good at Polish as I am at Belarusian. Much easier is Ukrainian. I can understand both Czech and Slovak equally. In fact I will not guess which is which unless I am exposed to the language for few weeks. Belarusians understand Polish better than the Russians.

Anonymous

Usually people say Czech is the hardest west Slavic language to understand for native Slavic speakers,  because it has atypical vowel pronunciation compared to other slavic languages I think. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.