• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Although polka has a Czech origin it's widely spread all over the world. It is very popular in Slovenia. Of course not everyone likes it. Most people wo don't are either part of the younger population or live in Cities. I as a Styrian adore this music. The bands who perform this music are called "ansambel" or simply "muzikanti". This music is part of our identity.

It started to become known after WW2. The very first ones are Waltzs which I think are boring. Things got better with our king of Polka Slavko Avsenik. He was very popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland too. He is a kind of the "inventor" of kvintet style (Oberkrainer). In this there are 5 instruments: the accordion, clarinet, trumpet, guitar and baritone/bass. As an example:
    Ansambel bratov Avsenik – Na Golici

Also widely spread threw Slovenia is the style Lojze Slak "invented". It's more rustical, simpler… There are only 3 instruments: diatonical accordion, guitar and bass. Sounds like this:
    Ansambel Lojzeta Slaka – Svatje že vriskajo

Now you'll say thats just a bunch of old crab! It's not. There are younger generations too of course!
    Modrijani – Ti, moja rožica (2011)
    and so on…

In Hrvaško Zagorje is the only part of Croatia that plays this sort of music. They sing in their Kajkavian dialect.
    Ansambl Prijatelji Zagorja – Muzikaši

Here is a Czech/Slovak style polka to compare:
    Moravanka-Ty falešná frajárko

How do you think about this? Tell us. ;)

Anonymous

Slovenes who emigrated to USA made their Style of polka too. It's called the Cleveland Polka.
    The Vadnals – Ta glažek je prazen
    Frank Yankovic, I've Got A Wife At Home Polka"

Frankie Yankovic is most famous for this kind of music with his silly songs.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    How do you think about this? Tell us. ;)

There is no veselica without Polka!!!

Quote:

Ta je svetovna! :D

Anonymous

There is polka in Istra, too  :D This ensamble plays polka music with Istrian scale.

Brace your ears, it is horrible

Petra Radović-Branimir Šajina,Kršan,Istra : Istarska polka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.