• This topic has 6 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_suicide_rate

The following is a List of suicide rates for OECD member nations according to data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in which a country's rank is determined by its total rate of suicides:

1. South Korea 2011 39.3 19.7 28.4
    2. Hungary 2009 33.8 8 19.8
    3. Japan 2009 29.2 10.5 19.7
    4. Finland 2009 26 8.9 17.3
    5. Slovenia 2009 28.2 6.7 17.2
    6. Estonia 2009 31.2 4.8 16.8
    7. Belgium 2005 24.6 8.4 16.2
    8. Switzerland 2007 20.6 8.7 14.3
    9. France 2008 21.6 6.8 13.8
    10. Poland 2008 23.3 3.5 12.9

Wtf brahs? you have it so bad? :O i never thought in the wonderful green and rich Shire you would be depressed :D but seriously, what's up with that?

Also i see our Poles high in the list as well!? (due to possible White Croatian ancestry or? :D )

Anonymous

Maybe it has something to do with high altitudes?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_suicide_rate

The following is a List of suicide rates for OECD member nations according to data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in which a country's rank is determined by its total rate of suicides:

1. South Korea 2011 39.3 19.7 28.4
    2. Hungary 2009 33.8 8 19.8
    3. Japan 2009 29.2 10.5 19.7
    4. Finland 2009 26 8.9 17.3
    5. Slovenia 2009 28.2 6.7 17.2
    6. Estonia 2009 31.2 4.8 16.8
    7. Belgium 2005 24.6 8.4 16.2
    8. Switzerland 2007 20.6 8.7 14.3
    9. France 2008 21.6 6.8 13.8
    10. Poland 2008 23.3 3.5 12.9

Wtf brahs? you have it so bad? :O i never thought in the wonderful green and rich Shire you would be depressed :D but seriously, what's up with that?

Also i see our Poles high in the list as well!? (due to possible White Croatian ancestry or? :D )

Well, nothing new actually … I'm surprised you didn't knew that, we're kind of famous for suicides.

I don't really know where the origin of this is, but it has deep historical origins. If you look at our old folk songs, you see "nožek bom vzela, srček načela, iz njega bom vzela tri kaplje krvi …" and many similar. Data for Carniola says that the factor in 1863 was 3 in 100.000. In 1890 it was already 6.8. In Royal Yugoslavia it was already 19,4 (for whole Yugoslav Slovenia). Later on it kept only growing and did only in 1990 fall below 30. Some say it's part of our heritage … Most of the suiciders are mentally ill or alcoholics. So it means we have either lots of these (and we do have lots of drunks) or something else is the matter. Noone really seems to know.

Quote:
    Maybe it has something to do with high altitudes?

Why? Because we have the Alps?  ??? Then Austrians would be extinct by now. ;D There are annual accidents in the mountains but I doubt anyone goes there to commit suicide. It's not like this wood in Japan:
    http://www.royal-courage.com/suicide-forest-fuji-aokigahara

Anonymous

I have been wrriting bout this issue on some other threads here already and even had idea not long ago to make a thread about it thow you seemed to beat me in this. Well world wide Slovenia isn't only Slavic country with high rates but it is the highest.

This is OECD members list so we are put higher on level. Interestingly on OECD scale Switzerland is quite close to us. Infact we have beaten them at least in one thing. ::) I think we are on world scale usually around 8th place.

Suicide rates are lowering lately however and i hope it continious to lower. In old times suicide was rare it was not really tradition and was frown upon since most ppl were religious. With secularisation things got worse. I dunno srrsly in my mind many suiciders are insane (except for those who might have really some hardcore negative things in life) but the thing is in Slovenia ppl think that you must have really high standards to have life or your worth shyt. Just look at high rating members. All stereotypicaly known for work extrageration these societies demand alot from their people, have succeed or fail in life, mentality. In Slovenia there is also this stupid absolutely disgusting saying which i despise with great resent. Learn in school so you wont have to sweep the trash…. ::) Motherfukers this is so stupid. This line should be baned. :) Imo it has to do with this big societal expectations and other things also. There is this fatalist, negative mentality a way of thinking among people.

On TV there was once documentary bout this and some experts assume it has to do with genetics that are similar genes to some other high suicide rate european countries.

Bout high altitudes. No it isnt bout that. Its matter of West vs East Slovenia. West which is more alpine has lower suicide rates than flatter east. East also has lots of alcoholism, poor economy. Statistic differances can get big. Life here is imensly good in my mind i dunno how so many are able to be such depresive folk. Its wierd, i really don't understand this phenomenon. Its not like i don't have problems in life, i do but i don't get it really its akward such a nice place has so many suiciders. ::)

Personally i believe that it has to do with economic well being. Lets look at it. West is quite developed (some areas on the level of Belgium) while East is not (some are very poor). Combined with fatalist, negative mentality naturally poorer regions thus have higher suicides.

Anonymous

According to this list, which seems to be more actual the highest Slavic country is Belarus on the 6th place. Slovenia is 8th, Ukraine 12th, Russia 13th, Croatia 14th, Serbia 17th, Poland 23rd, Bosnia and Herzegovina 28th, Czech Republic 30th, Bulgaria 32nd, Slovakia 48th, Republic of Macedonia 54th.

But look on the top. WTF Greenland is doing there with this enormous score? O_o I always thought South Korea or Japan would be the leader.

Anonymous

Hungary is very high on the list. I think, as a whole, the general reason of such suicide rates is the national mentality, the tendency of being pessimistic, and so.

It doesn't explain the trends though.
    According to the Central Statistical Office, the suicides per 100 000:

Late 70s and early 80s were the times when social well-being in the communist regime was at its peak – as were the suicide rates.
    Neither the severe recession of the early 90s, nor the crisis from 2008 onwards are not visible on the curve.
    At least here, the tendencies don't seem to be economy-related.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Bout high altitudes. No it isnt bout that. Its matter of West vs East Slovenia. West which is more alpine has lower suicide rates than flatter east. East also has lots of alcoholism, poor economy. Statistic differances can get big. Life here is imensly good in my mind i dunno how so many are able to be such depresive folk. Its wierd, i really don't understand this phenomenon. Its not like i don't have problems in life, i do but i don't get it really its akward such a nice place has so many suiciders. ::)

Personally i believe that it has to do with economic well being. Lets look at it. West is quite developed (some areas on the level of Belgium) while East is not (some are very poor). Combined with fatalist, negative mentality naturally poorer regions thus have higher suicides.

Perhaps I can explain a bit what you suspect. Poorer Styria is a historic result. After ww1 it got cut of it's former backround – Austrian Styria and other lands of the Crown. Later on, the economy became oriented on the Yugoslav market, which caused problems when we became independent. The thing is that more east you go, the worse it is. Celje region is actually completely normal, Maribor is in the ass, its economy has almost disapeared. Problematic is also that mostly everything that isn't at the autobahn, is basically "rovte". The centralisation of Slovenia is another big issue here. Dravsko polje is mostly an agricultural area, but people are having problems with exchanging floods and droughts almost every year and the country does nothing to improve the situation … Then, the farmers are supposed to sell their crops almost đabe. If you go even further, you enter Prekmurje, which is traditionally considered as a pesimistic, melancholic region with a lot of sadness, which is very evident in their music.

In the end, Styria and the whole Slovene east is the ginger stepchild in Slovenia … No wonder the situation is like it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • Nefario
  • Fia
  • slovborg
  • some slavic guy...
  • Piachu