• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Oct 25, 2010 6:59 AM
    Slovenia elects first black mayor
    Oct 25, 2010 6:59 AM | By Sapa-AFP
    Ghana-born doctor Peter Bossman won local elections in Slovenia's coastal town of Piran, becoming the former Yugoslav republic's first black mayor.
    Current Font Size:

quote You can hardly say that I'm the average Slovenian citizen, but the mere fact that I was elected shows the high level of democracy reigning in Slovenia quote

Centre-left Social Democrat (SD) candidate Bossman scored a tight victory receiving 51.4 percent of the vote against his colleague doctor, outgoing Piran mayor Tomaz Gantar who garnered 48.4 percent, according to final results of the run-off election.

"You can hardly say that I'm the average Slovenian citizen, but the mere fact that I was elected shows the high level of democracy reigning in Slovenia," Bossman told AFP by telephone after the results were published by the electoral commission.

Bossman, 54, is married to a Croat doctor and the couple have two daughters.

He came to Slovenia in the early 1980s when the country was still part of former Yugoslavia to study medicine.

"My father was also a doctor and a politician (in Ghana), he used to tell me that if you can, you should help society," Bossman said.

After over 20 years in Piran "people do not see me any more as a black doctor or a foreigner, they see me as a good doctor, a good man," he added.

"This is my home now, I do visit Ghana every couple of years to see my mother, but this (Piran) is my home," Bossman said.

"My mother (from Ghana) has called me already three times today and the last time we spoke, I told her I had won and she just started to cry," Bossman said.

Slovenians voted on Sunday in the second round of local polls to elect the mayors in 74 out of 208 municipalities. The turnout in Sunday's vote was 41 percent.

In the first round held on October 10, Slovenia's centre-right opposition Democratic Party (SDS) came out on top with 18.73 percent of ballots cast, while Prime Minister Borut Pahor's ruling SD received 12.05 percent, almost unchanged from the 12.1 percent in the 2006 vote.

In the Slovenian capital Ljubljana centre-left independent mayor Zoran Jankovic was re-elected in the first round as well as the mayor of the second-largest city Maribor, Franc Kangler.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/art…st-black-mayor

Anonymous

Hope they know what are they doing. I mean black president in Slavic country  ???

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hope they know what are they doing. I mean black president in Slavic country  ???

Yeah, i guess they have "broken the ice" as they're definitely the first Slavic country with some non-white in a leading position… retarded to say the least. Don't know what our Slovene colleagues think of it, theres not much of them on the web in general :D

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hrvatska has none yet, hopefully, do they?

Anonymous

The mayor has a good name, Bossman  –  sounds very…. Hugo Boss'ish , but he is only a mayor..
    the god that the polish black man believed helped him better, he be in the parliament already, also he has a godly name  –  Godson

I personally do not have any problem with black immigrants, especially if they want to do dirty work with the mess that EU parliament & governments is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.