• This topic has 5 voices and 48 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

It appears that “Spolajti” may have been a loan word from the Medieval Greek/Byzantine era, which meant “May you live a long life”; which I guess could be translated into a variant meaning as “thank you” as the Macedonian-Slavs recognise.  Source:

http://www.spollati.com/en/

I still wonder why the word “Spolajti” had largely been replaced with “Hvalla” in the nation of Macedonia, it appears this may have been Serb-Croat influence during Yugo era.  

Slavs from Aegean Macedonia / Greece still use the word “spolajti” for thank you, whereas “hvalla” is not commonly used.

Anonymous

I haven’t been this shocked since I realised our “hiliada” (and “daskal”) is also a Greek word. Or since I realised our ne and the Greek ne are not the same ne.
    And I thought it’s related to our Slavic “spoluka”… Wait, spoluka is still Slavic, right?

Anonymous

@NikeBG Very interesting re: daskal and hiliada, I wasn’t aware of their origins. Wait, I assume you are from Bulgaria based on your alias, do you also recognise the word “Spolajti”? I thought it was a Slavic-Macedonian word only…  

Spoluka in Bulgarian may be a derivation of spollati/spolajti, quite possible, but not sure.

Anonymous

>spolajti

Ancient macedonian word. The Greeks stole it.

Anonymous

@aaaaa Lol. Unlikely.

Anonymous

Of course I recognise it. It’s rather archaic today, but it’s still usable. Although we usually write it separated – “spolay ti”. Or sometimes it’s just “spolay”. Or “Spolay Bozhe” etc. It could be used as a thank you and as a wish for success to someone/thing.

Btw, when I searched for this, I found a thread in one BG forum on a similar topic, about the origins of “Blagodarya” and “Dovizhdane” (because “mersi” and “chao” are pretty clear). And, indeed, they also confirmed spolay ti is of Greek origin, while “blagodarya” is a Slavic calque (from Old-Bulgarian times) of the Greek evharisto, probably created by Cyril and Methodius or their students. So they were wondering what thankful expressions did we/Slavs have before Christianity – probably “zhiv i zdrav” and the likes. Likewise, the goodbye version “sbogom” also seems to be Christian in origin, as it’s probably a calque of the Latin “cum Deo” (with our “dovizhdane” being taken from the Russian “dasvidaniya”, which itself is a calque of the French “au revoir”).

Anonymous

In R.Macedonia we use ”fala” rather than ”hvala”, a corrupted version I guess. We also use ”blagodaram” for thank you. ”Spolajti” is also used but less often. Usually for a more pronounced or accentuated thank you.

Anonymous

To be honest, my favourite variant of “thank you” is Spolajti, and I still use it.  It sounds more phonetic.  I really like the word.

My grandparent’s taught me when you serve someone something at the table you say the word “Poi-li”… I don’t know what it means, I assume its something like “enjoy”.  So when giving something you say “Poi-li”, and receiving something and saying thank you as “Spolajti”.

Has anyone heard of “Poi-li”?  Its probably dialect.

Anonymous

I haven’t heard it. Here (at least in my area) when you serve something to someone, you say “zapovyaday(te)” (the -te at the end being used for plural or respectful form). Although, of course, an ill-mannered peasant might simply say “Na!” (which is usable when giving something to someone, not only when serving, and in all cases it’s considered somewhat rude or at least simplistic).

Btw, that latter part got me thinking how our language is full of various kinds of exclamations, which I’d find it hard to translate to English, like the “na!” above, or be/bre, abe, ya!, opa etc.

Anonymous

“Na” is such a rude word, indeed. Much better to use “vlachi” or “te” or you can even say “te, vlachi” if you want to be extra polite.

Anonymous

Lol… Yes, I understand “Na!”… I remember Baba saying “Na bre covek!”, when serving my Dedo food at the table whenever he was late for lunch from the farm. Haha.

Anonymous

Well, stick with me, I’ll teach you proper Bulgarian in no time at all.
    For instance if you want to say “Where’s your grandfather” you say:
    Kam deda ti?

Anonymous

@aaaaa I would’ve thought the question would be phrased “kade dedo ti?” or “kade je dedo ti?”… suspect that’s western dialect, or slavic-macedonian dialect.  I think I might travel to Bulgaria.  Would like to explore the region and learn the language.  Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Anonymous

It’s north-western dialect to be precise. “Kade je dedo ti” sounds western, too. Literary Bulgarian has “kade e djado ti”.

Anonymous

Yes, its the dialect of Florina, Greece (or known as Lerin in slavic).  Where ethnographers have described it as slavophone greek, slavic-macedonian, or western bulgarian.  Take your pick lol.  The dialect originates very close to Tzar Samuil’s headquarters of Prespa.  From my understanding the dialect probably extends as south as Kastoria (Kostur), and to the East as far as Edessa (Voden) and Kilkis (Kukush).  However the dialect is facing extinction in Greece, as its largely been hellenized. I visited in greece, and you can still hear it sporadically in Florina.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Bjelas
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • m1tric
  • Das Rheinenfuchs