• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have been doing my family tree. I am having a lot of trouble with my grandmother's side. Her father is Felix Srodkowski and mother is Salumeja Zuble. I am thankful for ANY help.

Anonymous

To be honest I don't know how can I help. To know your tree you need documents, birth certificate, etc. I can only say that Srodkowski is Polish surname. But Zuble… according to the name maybe Lithuanian.

Anonymous

Śródkowski or Środkowski are Polish surnames, although not many people bear them

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have been doing my family tree. I am having a lot of trouble with my grandmother's side. Her father is Felix Srodkowski and mother is Salumeja Zuble. I am thankful for ANY help.

Felix and Salumeja were common among Jewish. Zuble is niether Slavic nor Lithuanian unless its a short version of Zublenko (Ukrainian) or Zublevich which could be present in Poland & Belarus. Salumeja doesn't sound Slavic at all in my ears. It maybe Jewish. I am not sure about Jewish origins of both names.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Salumeja doesn't sound Slavic at all in my ears. It maybe Jewish. I am not sure about Jewish origins of both names.

Salomeja is present in Lithuanian.

Salomeja Neris – poet
    Salomeja Zaksaite – chess player

This is why I assume Salumeja Zuble might have Lithuanian origin. If Zuble is short version of Zublewicz it may be Polish, or Polish-Lithuanian, whatever.

Felix is not Jewish name, nor has Jewish origin. It is from Latin, present in many countries.

According to this I presume the author's may have roots somewhere in Podlaskie Voivodeship, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship or Marijampole County, Alytus county or even in Kaliningrad Oblast. Generally these territories, as there are Poles and Lithuanian on the horizon ^_^

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Salomeja is present in Lithuanian.

Salomeja Neris – poet
    Salomeja Zaksaite – chess player

This is why I assume Salumeja Zuble might have Lithuanian origin. If Zuble is short version of Zublewicz it may be Polish, or Polish-Lithuanian, whatever.

Felix is not Jewish name, nor has Jewish origin. It is from Latin, present in many countries.

According to this I presume the author's may have roots somewhere in Podlaskie Voivodeship, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship or Marijampole County, Alytus county or even in Kaliningrad Oblast. Generally these territories, as there are Poles and Lithuanian on the horizon ^_^

I didn't write Felix is a Jewish name or has Jewish origins. I suggested the name was common among Jewish people. Lithuanian female names often have  -ienė suffix for married women and -aitė for maiden names. Although, -e is also allowed. So, maybe Salumeja Zuble was a Lithuanian.

Anonymous

Salomeja is a lithuanian name, from the hebrew "shalom", meaning "peace", "peaceful". salomeja neris was one of lithuuania's most celebrated poets.

http://www.ona.com/en/glossary/279/

Of course it doesn't mean that author's relatives were Jewish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.