• This topic has 17 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So here we are. What should we do?

"We should seek the greatest value of our action."

You had a health scare and spent time in hospital in 2009. What, if anything, do you fear about death?

"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark. "

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

Wow, he shattered my illusions… What shell I do now?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:
    There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

Wow, he shattered my illusions… What shell I do now?

You should find immortality formula :D.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You should find immortality formula :D.

To the laboratory!

Anonymous

Coming upon this thread, i expected a hell of a debate.

Anonymous

Nowaday scientists should have more modesty with regard to statements like this; where's the old saying, the more I learn, the less I know ?! The thing, that he can describe black holes and quantum mechanics, doesn't make him an authority on everything. I would say that, he is equally afraid of things that he and science can't answer (and probably will never be able to answer )  … it's a statement against statement, so let's be fair: there is an afterlife!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Nowaday scientists should have more modesty with regard to statements like this; where's the old saying, the more I learn, the less I know ?! The thing, that he can describe black holes and quantum mechanics, doesn't make him an authority on everything. I would say that, he is equally afraid of things that he and science can't answer (and probably will never be able to answer )  … it's a statement against statement, so let's be fair: there is an afterlife!

If science doesnot answer something, it means – we donot know the answer.
    There are hundreds of religions and concepts of afterlife, which one is true ? Believing one would mean disbelief in the other.

Anonymous

Personally, I think that religion and science should be forced to stay at least 500 meters away from each other.

Anonymous

I hate Hawking's non critical atttidude towards modern cosmology. There is so much talk about black holes , neutron stars , and the big bang yet none of these have ever been observed , not even indirectly. These theories are the result of some tricky mathematics that mainstream science takes as gospel nevermind the lack of actual evidence. Science is about not knowing and trying to discover and know. It's about evidence above all else. I believe within a couple decades we will abandon the current dominate theories in cosmology such as those scary black holes. I wonder if S.H. will be alive then and how will he feel? I think he's wrong but that doesn't mean I don't respect him as a brilliant person.

Anonymous

How can he be critical if he invented quite a bit of it himself :) Well, the current physics is so advanced that we cannot possibly have actual evidence – simply because we are technically unable to do so. Current theories describe the world pretty well and we for sure will have many discoveries in the future – but I think that these would be rather built up over existing theories, like an expansion of them, not a radical overthrowing of the current thinking. See Einstein and his discoveries. He basically expanded the Newton's theories, so in fact the Newton's laws are a subset of the relativity theory.

Black holes are almost proven, btw. In 10 years maybe we'll have a definite proof :)

Anonymous

FYI, we have photographs of a black hole using x-ray telescopes.

Anonymous

We have images of accretion disks around black holes and the jets, not the black holes themselves. Of course we cannot see the holes directly, but we may infer them from the gravitational pull they make. And AFAIK the estimated radius and mass probably mean that there are black holes, but we aren't sure yet (the estimated maximum radius is bigger than the Schwarzschild radius for the estimated mass).

Anonymous

How can he be critical if he invented quite a bit of it himself :)

Good point. lol.

Well, the current physics is so advanced that we cannot possibly have actual evidence – simply because we are technically unable to do so.

That is so absurd. Physics is about desribing the physical yet we lack the physical evidence for some of the theories yet we attribute them as factual and true in the realm of physics. They are math equations (that are not even neccessarily correct), not observed and tested phenomena. Any rational theory has to be falsifiable. Science 101. How the hell do you falsify a black hole? lol. I just as well could say a really fat unicorn is taking a dump in some cosmic toilet.

Current theories describe the world pretty well and we for sure will have many discoveries in the future – but I think that these would be rather built up over existing theories, like an expansion of them, not a radical overthrowing of the current thinking.

Not really. They really don't explain the universe well at all. Not even 'simple things' in our backyard like the Sun. lol. You described the problem with modern cosmology right here. People have an established theory on how they believe the universe works and this is ironclad. Thus , any evidence that's found that flies in the face of the theory as a whole is either ignored or chalked up as some mistake or some 'invisible force' such as 'dark energy/matter' is causing the thing… as if reality itself must be manipulated to conform to the theory rather than the theory being changed or even scrapped to conform to reality.  In real science reality > theory , not theory > reality.

See Einstein and his discoveries. He basically expanded the Newton's theories, so in fact the Newton's laws are a subset of the relativity theory.

I don't think Newton would've subscribed to 'bending' of 'space-time' whatever that is. lol

Black holes are almost proven, btw. In 10 years maybe we'll have a definite proof :)

Sorry but 'Black holes' are the result of masturbating by mathematicians who kling to relativity like their own child. All we actually know from reality is that we observe and record these huge gamma ray/ x ray bursts from different regions of space , particularly toward the center of the milky way galaxy. If you hold the narrow notion that gravity > everything and you can manipulate some equations by inserting unknown values as fact such as 'dark matter' then you will arrive at something so absurd as a blackhole as if nothing else can explain such violent energy. Did you know the electromagnetic force is 10^49x more powerful than gravity and this isn't simply doing abstract calculations rather its measurable energy we use every day such as voltage , amperes , wats , etc yet nobody cares to talk about electricity ( something we know is real and exists) in space….. Oh , and the Sun directly linked to the earth electromagnetically too… hmmm.

Anonymous

Also, the earth is not round, its like a board…this is why we are able to walk on it from one end to another. If it were round, oceans and seas would pour out and we would fall off…this theory about round earth was invented by the "order of the black stone" founded in Kairo by late templar knight, Joshua McStevens.
    [size=3pt]
    Just joking, guys. Dont be hating :D[/size]

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Also, the earth is not round, its like a board…this is why we are able to walk on it from one end to another. If it were round, oceans and seas would pour out and we would fall off…this theory about round earth was invented by the "order of the black stone" founded in Kairo by late templar knight, Joshua McStevens.
    [size=3pt]
    Just joking, guys. Dont be hating :D[/size]

I can see that Turks prevented you from Copernicus' works about heliocentric model of the universe. Dream your dream and watch out not to fall off from your flat bed  :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nexius
  • Fia
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • kony97