• This topic has 7 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am starting to make plans for a trip to Europe during the summer of 2014. It will be the summer before I start college. I have never been to Europe before. I have only been to the Caribbean outside of the U.S. before. I am looking for suggestions on places I should visit, things I should do, and things I should be aware of. Also I would like to know how I fare only being fluent in English and being able to speak a little Slovak.(I can communicate a little speaking Slovak with my friends who speak Ukrainian, but can almost not understand Polish)
    During this trip I plan to hopefully train with and interview some of the top strength athletes in Europe.
    These are the countries I am interested in going to on my visit.
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Belarus
    Ukraine
    Slovakia
    Czech Rep.
    Poland
    Germany
    Netherlands

Anonymous

How exciting for you, Slovanske, and what a great opportunity! Well, this is some trip you are planning!  :)  Are you going with a coordinated tour group? Traveling in each of those countries does present unique challenges for any tourist not fluent in the local language or culture.

I can recommend a professional guide/interpreter for Ukraine. This person works with you to coordinate all aspects of your trip, and ensures that you have a safe travel experience. I know a few people who have used his services and were very, very pleased with the outcome. If this is something that interests you, let me know and I will provide details.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    How exciting for you, Slovanske, and what a great opportunity! Well, this is some trip you are planning!  :)  Are you going with a coordinated tour group? Traveling in each of those countries does present unique challenges for any tourist not fluent in the local language or culture.

I can recommend a professional guide/interpreter for Ukraine. This person works with you to coordinate all aspects of your trip, and ensures that you have a safe travel experience. I know a few people who have used his services and were very, very pleased with the outcome. If this is something that interests you, let me know and I will provide details.

I was actually planning on going alone or with a few friends. Never considered going with a tourist group, I want my experience to be more based on what I want to do. Although I did consider hiring a few people to translate, but idk if I have the money for that. I am really in the beginning stages of planning(basically I'm still not sure on where I will visit). Thank you for your offer and suggestion. I will think about it because Ukraine is very high on my interest list.

Anonymous

For the Czech Republic I recomend you to visit Brno in Moravia. It's a lovely city and they have great beer there.

As far as language goes … Well, you wouldn't have any problems in Slovenia, but I guess you won't have much trouble where you're planning to go either. Young people mostly have a fair knowledge of English, if not more, they speak what I call "Indianer English". ;D But since it's mostly Slavic countries you're interested in, the knowledge of any Slavic language would be quite helpfull. I heard many people in Baltic countries also speak Russian. I wouldn't worry to much about language – it's Europe afterall! ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am starting to make plans for a trip to Europe during the summer of 2014. It will be the summer before I start college. I have never been to Europe before. I have only been to the Caribbean outside of the U.S. before. I am looking for suggestions on places I should visit, things I should do, and things I should be aware of. Also I would like to know how I fare only being fluent in English and being able to speak a little Slovak.(I can communicate a little speaking Slovak with my friends who speak Ukrainian, but can almost not understand Polish)
    During this trip I plan to hopefully train with and interview some of the top strength athletes in Europe.
    These are the countries I am interested in going to on my visit.
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Belarus
    Ukraine
    Slovakia
    Czech Rep.
    Poland
    Germany
    Netherlands

Are you surte that these are the countries that someone has to visit in summer?? 😮 😮 😮

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Are you surte that these are the countries that someone has to visit in summer?? 😮 😮 😮

I think those countries are great to visit in summertime. Its never too big heat like in south, and for those who can't stand heat(like me) its an obvious choice.

Anonymous

Ahoj  :)  You should definitely visit Vysoké Tatry in Slovakia, if you like mountains, of course… It's a better choice than Bratislava  ;)

[img width=700 height=525]http://www.travelaroundslovakia.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/image/itinerary/vysoke-tatry.jpg” />

From this point you can visit many historical towns and castles, depends on what you prefer more.

[img width=700 height=484]http://www.visittrencin.sk/sites/default/files/imce/suveniry/mapy/v-hrady-a-zamky.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ahoj  :)  You should definitely visit Vysoké Tatry in Slovakia, if you like mountains, of course… It's a better choice than Bratislava  ;)

[img width=700 height=525]http://www.travelaroundslovakia.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/image/itinerary/vysoke-tatry.jpg” />

From this point you can visit many historical towns and castles, depends on what you prefer more.

[img width=700 height=484]http://www.visittrencin.sk/sites/default/files/imce/suveniry/mapy/v-hrady-a-zamky.jpg” />

Dakujem. I would like to go there. I think I would like the mountains. My family is from Bratislava. Hopefully I will be able to go to both. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think those countries are great to visit in summertime. Its never too big heat like in south, and for those who can't stand heat(like me) its an obvious choice.

I seriously can not imagine my summer holidays being something different than that

[img width=700 height=467]http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/forwardcom/forwardcom0901/forwardcom090100142/4078108-one-beer-botle-on-the-beach-defocus-sea-and-island-background.jpg” />

[img width=700 height=471]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/–yWouO3i088/TgnocNk0hNI/AAAAAAAAHt0/5Oo2zxbV41k/s1600/thumbnailCA8M9S2N-776345.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Dakujem. I would like to go there. I think I would like the mountains. My family is from Bratislava. Hopefully I will be able to go to both.  ;D

Oh, in that case you must visit the capital, too. :) Are you able to communicate in Slovak, so you wouldn't have any serious problem to get what you need?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I heard many people in Baltic countries also speak Russian.

Yes, they do. But still, he speaks English so I am not really sure it would be a problem for him to communicate.

I was also interested in visiting Czech Republic and the Netherlands (not because of legal weed, don't worry). But now I am more convinced to pay Russia a visit. Why you don't consider this country?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yes, they do. But still, he speaks English so I am not really sure it would be a problem for him to communicate.

Of course not. Afterall, we're not America. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • kony97
  • slovborg
  • привет
  • Tujev