• This topic has 7 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello. I am just wondering. I think my surname (Podoben) is slavic, but everyone here in Slovakia, who hear my name, tells me, its a strange unfamiliar name to them. I think it has the root from the word "podobný" = "alike". So, do you think it really is slavic surname, or not?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hello. I am just wondering. I think my surname (Podoben) is slavic, but everyone here in Slovakia, who hear my name, tells me, its a strange unfamiliar name to them. I think it has the root from the word "podobný" = "alike". So, do you think it really is slavic surname, or not?

Someone else will probably have a better answer to this, but if not – sometimes a good place to start with such things is a Facebook search.  See where the majority of people with your last name live, and then look up words in that language.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Someone else will probably have a better answer to this, but if not – sometimes a good place to start with such things is a Facebook search.  See where the majority of people with your last name live, and then look up words in that language.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Never head of it before here, but in the Slovenian language the word "podoben" means alike. To me it definetly sounds Slavic. Perhaps it has something to do with "dob", which is a sort of oak tree. I wouldn't know any further.

We have some members who, I'm sure, could tell you more. Let's wait for them. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:

Never head of it before here, but in the Slovenian language the word "podoben" means alike. To me it definetly sounds Slavic. Perhaps it has something to do with "dob", which is a sort of oak tree. I wouldn't know any further.

We have some members who, I'm sure, could tell you more. Let's wait for them. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:

There is a little problem, I dont have a FB account, but I did a small research thru google. Unfortunately, I found just some "liturgic music" a some people from my own family, of which I know.

Quote:

Yeah, thats what I thought. Its a little funny tho my surname sounds so foreign over here, even it surely is slavic. :-)

Anonymous
    Quote:

There is a little problem, I dont have a FB account, but I did a small research thru google. Unfortunately, I found just some "liturgic music" a some people from my own family, of which I know.

Quote:

Yeah, thats what I thought. Its a little funny tho my surname sounds so foreign over here, even it surely is slavic. :-)

Anonymous

from population census of year 1368 there was surname Podoben,so I think it's slavic.

Anonymous

from population census of year 1368 there was surname Podoben,so I think it's slavic.

Anonymous
    Quote:

You meen in Croatia, yes?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Anonymous
    Quote:

yes, and there are many  Podobnik surnames in Croatia although I dunno if they are related

Anonymous
    Quote:

yes, and there are many  Podobnik surnames in Croatia although I dunno if they are related

Anonymous
    Quote:

So do you think my familly could have croatian roots? I was able to track my grandparentss grandparents back to beginning of 19th century. One side of family came from Poland and the other was a mixture of hungarian and slovakian (perhaps) people.

Anonymous
    Quote:

So do you think my familly could have croatian roots? I was able to track my grandparentss grandparents back to beginning of 19th century. One side of family came from Poland and the other was a mixture of hungarian and slovakian (perhaps) people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Glockamole
  • kony97
  • haver25
  • Tujev
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta