• This topic has 8 voices and 39 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Okay.. need some help here…

Here are 3 various spellings of what is said to be my great grandmother's surname. My prababa's surname is something along one of these options… anyone have any idea of meanings or which might be more correct?

Lysczyszyn
    Leszozyszin
    Lyszczyszyn

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

PS:  When I google any of them, I get the same suggestion: Leszczyszyn.. would this be the proper spelling?

These surname variations are coming from US documents that were generally spelled by how they sounded, generally by non-Slavs.  ::)

Anonymous

My money on Lyszczyszyn, sounds most weirdest of them all + its hardest to pronounce so this gotta be it, especially if its Polish surname  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My money on Lyszczyszyn, sounds most weirdest of them all + its hardest to pronounce so this gotta be it, especially if its Polish surname  ;D

From Ukraine actually..  Today's Pohitsi, Ukraine in Sambir Raion. The most common spelling I'm finding online is Leszczyszyn.  This spelling variation brings up EVERYTHING in the world it seems.  Quite common in the East Poland/West Ukraine area in the proper time period.  I won't know until I hear back from my contact in L'viv. But I'm trying to just get some opinions on the surname for now.

Anonymous

I don't know which is the proper one (neither how to say it the proper way :-), but when I look at them, it remembers me on "lisičin" which means "fox's". There is probably no such conection…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't know which is the proper one (neither how to say it the proper way :-), but when I look at them, it remembers me on "lisičin" which means "fox's". There is probably no such conection…

Actually, that's what many have told me. In Serbian, лисице, or lisice, is foxes. From my poor understanding of Polish, it would be something like leščišin depending on which spelling you used. Unfortunately, these spellings I have are from people who didn't know Slavic languages and spelled them as they sounded in 1912…  ???

Anonymous

Well, then there might is such a conection. I actually used no spelling as I have no clue how to read Polish… :- I just wrote the Slovene word. Btw, Serbian lisica is almost equal to Slovene lisica. Only, they pronounce it lísica and we lisíca. That's the catch in many words who seem the same when written. Serbs mostly pronounce the first vowel but Slovenes (Standard Slovene and all dialects exept Štajerski and Panonski dialects) pronounce the second vowel. Plus, there might be some j-s added in Serbian. But I went off topic again… ::)
    So, there probably is a conection with the word fox. Such surnames are quite common among Slavs. Like Lísjak, Lisičnik, maybe Lisičin or Liščišin, or … :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, then there might is such a conection. I actually used no spelling as I have no clue how to read Polish… :- I just wrote the Slovene word. Btw, Serbian lisica is almost equal to Slovene lisica. Only, they pronounce it lísica and we lisíca. That's the catch in many words who seem the same when written. Serbs mostly pronounce the first vowel but Slovenes (Standard Slovene and all dialects exept Štajerski and Panonski dialects) pronounce the second vowel. Plus, there might be some j-s added in Serbian. But I went off topic again… ::)
    So, there probably is a conection with the word fox. Such surnames are quite common among Slavs. Like Lísjak, Lisičnik, maybe Lisičin or Liščišin, or … :)

I found quite a few "Leszczyszyn" in Ukraine. But none of the other spellings ever search. I'm wondering if this is supposed to be the correct spelling of the surname.  Hopefully, through some contacts I have in L'viv who are trying to help me in their freetime, I'll know in the next month or so.  But I was just curious of any thoughts people might have about the surname in general. So I'm thankful for your opinions on it. I'm clueless to all Slavic languages minus the little bit of Serbian I know. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:

I can agree with you. Only Leszozyszin is quite awkward here.

Anonymous
    Quote:

You didn't say that! 😮 ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:

Any attempts at pronouncing it and I feel like I'm trying to talk about medicine or some crazy odd medical disease.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You didn't say that! 😮 ;)

I am correcting myself. It seems Kašubs use Lës for fox. :D Lësica je prav zvita zver! ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Any attempts at pronouncing it and I feel like I'm trying to talk about medicine or some crazy odd medical disease.

Try Polish wiki and enter your three surnames in it. Then try deleting each letter and from time to time words like this appear;

Leszczyna (Hazel)

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leszcz

Placenames Leszczyny; http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leszczyny

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am correcting myself. It seems Kašubs use Lës for fox. :D Lësica je prav zvita zver! ;D

Pod skalco ima svoj kvartër! ;)

Anonymous

leszczyszyn, liszczyszyn (leščišin, liščišin) either of these two. -in/-šin is common ending. it even has "logical" sound. other ones sound weird

Anonymous

I believe there are Ukrainian surname Лишчишчин (nb, this is Russian spelling, I am not sure how it is written in Ukrainian), and Russian Лищишин.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • kony97
  • haver25
  • Tujev
  • CivilixXXX
  • Glockamole