• This topic has 6 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm putting this in the genealogy section, because that is what fueled this question and post in general.

I just found the flag and crest of the Raion my family villages are in Ukraine.  I know there is bound to be meaning behind everything. Can someone tell me anything?  Since I don't know any Slavic languages well enough to search, I get nothing when I search in English.

Anyway, below are the flag and crest of the Sambir Raion, in the L'viv Oblast, in Ukraine.

image image

Anonymous

Should I have posted this in the Ukraine section? 

I'm quite curious what the meaning behind these are. :)

Anonymous

From what I read in Ukrainian wiki, it is relatively new Coat of Arms, introduced in 2002.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    From what I read in Ukrainian wiki, it is relatively new Coat of Arms, introduced in 2002.

Interesting. Nothing on the colors or why the stag?  :(

Anonymous

The lions are there because it is in the lvivska oblast.  Lion is the traditional symbol of the city Lviv.

From the ukrainian wiki for the town:

"Sambor has long had its own coat of arms, which until now has remained – a golden deer, running on the green grass to the right (left of the observer) with an arrow in his neck. It symbolizes the one hand impenetrable surrounding forest, and the other – the peaceful local population was under constant threat of enemy attack. Coat of arms of the city is one of the oldest in Ukraine, which was used without change for almost 500 years.

During Polish rule in western Ukraine was a legend that the emblem of the city gave the Queen Bona, who hit a deer in his arrow while hunting in the woods Samborskii. This event could happen only after 1545, when the Queen after the debt became owner of Sambora. But some researchers deny this legend. They believe that the emblem would be much earlier to Queen Bona. Proof of this is the oldest city seal of the city. Because prospecting in Polish archives found the oldest known seal Sambora on one of the documents in 1533. On the stamp depicted a shield which housed deer with punched neck, and a circle is a little Latin-effaced inscription "Seal of Sambora." At the time of the Austrian Empire Sambor not changed its emblem. He was shown on the Privileges Emperor Joseph II, who asserted the right of the city, from 26.06.1788 year. Sambora modern emblem was adopted 17.04.2003, on the city council. Its author was the head of the Ukrainian Heraldic Society, a senior researcher at the Institute of Ukrainian Archeology and Source Studies. Hrushevsky National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, commissioner of state awards and heraldry of the President of Ukraine, candidate of historical sciences – Andrew Hrechylo.

In addition to arms, Sambor has its own flag (see flag Sambora ) stamp (round, 50 mm diameter in the center shows the emblem of the city. Around is the inscription: "Ukraine, Lviv region, city Sambor." Used in informal and ceremonial use) , Standard mayor Sambora (banner depicting Sambora emblem and the inscription "Sambor 1241")."

Anonymous

Interesting.. and thank you.

And what about the symbol in the top left corner of the flag? This symbol in general has dozens of meanings world wide, but what would it mean to the Sambir Raion?

I see no arrow though as you mentioned. Do you know about the blue and white stripes by chance? Are they supposed to symbolize anything?

Thanks again.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    And what about the symbol in the top left corner of the flag? This symbol in general has dozens of meanings world wide, but what would it mean to the Sambir Raion?

That symbol is also on one of our family coffers. I even posted it somewhere here. Anyway its exactly the same and it supposed to defend objects from fire. Maybe they desire Lvov won't burn to the ground. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That symbol is also on one of our family coffers. I even posted it somewhere here. Anyway its exactly the same and it supposed to defend objects from fire. Maybe they desire Lvov won't burn to the ground. :D

Haha.. possibly.. defends from fire, huh!? VERY interesting… Being an almost entirely farming region, fires would definitely be bad for them.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Haha.. possibly.. defends from fire, huh!? VERY interesting… Being an almost entirely farming region, fires would definitely be bad for them.

Yes! :D This is the one;

Anonymous

It's a beautiful symbol! I first learned of it in studying sacred geometry. :) So to find it on the flag of the raion my family is from just rocks. :D

Anonymous

And I know what this symbol means in relation to the Sambir Raion flag and coat of arms. It's a Boyko symbol. Sambir Raion, along with a few others, are known Boyko lands. It's called the Rosette of Boykos. The blue, green, and yellow colors are found on almost all Boyko flags and COAs.
    Boykos

Anonymous

that symbol is used in many parts of world. it may be nearly-universal

Anonymous

I know it's quite universal, but every region would have their reasons for it. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    reasons

its simple to draw  :D

Anonymous

Please tell me, in your opinion,if is it slavic symbol on this ring? It is from my granddad. I see four lilys cross shaped and also four (linden) leaves inside cross but dont now if it means smtg.. Thank you!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

12 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • kony97
  • Glockamole
  • jorgos
  • slovborg
  • Lucifer Morningstar