• This topic has 5 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Does anyone know of any accounts of the 1915 retreat through the Albanian and Montenegran mountains by Serbs but accessible in English? – I have read lots of accounts by English nurses, American journalists, an English Admiral, English and American women, both in the Serbian army and as volunteers setting up canteens etc.  But the only account I have been able to find by a Serb is 'Serbia Crucified' by Milutin Krunich.  Apparently a Serbian schoolgirl named Katarina Kostic who made the journey wrote a diary and it is mentioned in a BBC documentary, but I have been unable to track it down. Serbian soldier Steva Stevanovic apparently also wrote a memoir but I can find no trace of this either.

Hope someone can help.

Anonymous

Around 135,000 soldiers reached Corfu island, in Bizerte about 12,000, and from starvation, disease and Albanian bandits was killed more than 240,000 soldiers and civilians. I didn't find some official datas, those are estimated numbers.

Anonymous

Rasto Petrović described his expirience in his novel Sixth Day (Дан шести).

Anonymous

Thankyou both.  I have looked extensively for Sixth Day by Rastko Petrovic on the internet and all I could find in English was a small fragment of the story and a few references in bibliographies. There were copies of the book in Serbian but I'm afraid that is no use to me. I'm starting to think that perhaps the whole book has not been published in English. If anyone can point me to an English Edition that would be very useful.

Anonymous

If interested in the retreat, you should watch this:

Where The Yellow Lemon Blooms (ENG subtitles)

Anonymous

Thanks Cvetinov, but its a while since I was here and your clip had been removed. However, for anyone interested I found 'South to Destiny' by Dobrica Cosic which was interesting but focuses on the political aspects and, as you might expect, is a very personal view.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thanks Cvetinov, but its a while since I was here and your clip had been removed. However, for anyone interested I found 'South to Destiny' by Dobrica Cosic which was interesting but focuses on the political aspects and, as you might expect, is a very personal view.

Where the Yellow Lemon Blooms | Где цвета лимун жут [2006]

– Be quick, before they remove it. :)

Anonymous

Thanks Cvetinov – Only just got email notification of this – (there was a problem with my email which I was unaware of). I watched the whole film, and although I was familiar with most of the material, there were many still photographs which I had not seen before and these in themselves add much insight.

On a different subject, I recently came upon a book which you may be of interest to Slavorum members. The title is 'Peasant Renaissance in Yugoslavia 1900 – 1950' by Ruth Trouton. It was published in 1952 so is a little hard to get. I have not finished reading it yet but it is very informative, particularly on social change and education.

Anyway – Thanks again

Richard

Anonymous

I may be able to help…ever heard of ‘ blackbirds field ‘by victor komski? He came from a military family and his memoirs cover 1912 to 1918.he also fought in both balkin wars.he was captured during the great retreat and spent time in a hungarian prison camp, escaping twice! Its an awesome read if you can find it.also ‘the snows of serbia,’ but I havent read it …yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Glockamole
  • CivilixXXX
  • jorgos
  • slovborg
  • GOGA