• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Partially in response to the thread on Greeks, and partially because of my own curiosity (derived from having a Portuguese father), what do you all think of the Portuguese and their culture. While asking about them I thought I might as well add the Spanish to the question as well. What do you all think of the two Iberian nations and their people?

Anonymous

Mostly positive. I kinda like their football. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Mostly positive. I kinda like their football. :)

Portuguese and Spanish Football is awesome. Christiano Ronaldo is a beast.

Anonymous

Well my dad's family left Seville for the new world in the late 1500's.  They were minor administrators who had patronage from the bishop of Toledo.  My parents met and married in Madrid, they lived in an apartment by they estadio bernabau.  Guess I am here because of the Iberian peninsula. 

My best friend is Portuguese and they are a very big community in New Jersey,  Rhode Island and Massachusetts.  They saved one area of Newark from the ghetto trash that destroyed so much of the urban around here. 

Anonymous

I have a positive outlook at Spaniards and Portuguese. Here in North America a lot of Portuguese, Spanish and Italians can be Guido idiots but a lot of them are friends of mine. In fact my two closest friends are Portuguese. They vary a lot from nice, regular European families to relatives who are complete idiots. However I keep hearing that the Mediterraneans from Europe are more relaxed, I can believe it seeing how some American-Italians are compared to Italians I know from Europe.

On the subject of History I really respect Spain and Portugal as christian kingdoms for going through similar **** against the Moors that we Balkans Christians went through against the Ottoman Empire. I recall a Spanish king even heard of one of Croatia's unlikely victories over the Ottomans and held a celebration in our honour, using it as courage for his own soldiers. As a history fan I also like that Spain encountered the new world, but as I have a great intrigue in Japanese culture I find it fascinating that Portugal so greatly influenced and changed Japanese warfare.

All in all their a good people. True Europeans, but I don't like it when Spanish and Portuguese are mixed with Latinos and other foreigners. However the Iberians sure had a large radius of influence from the colonies and naval days, which makes it understandable.

Oh and yeah, everyone in Euro hates Spain but Spain. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Partially in response to the thread on Greeks, and partially because of my own curiosity (derived from having a Portuguese father), what do you all think of the Portuguese and their culture. While asking about them I thought I might as well add the Spanish to the question as well. What do you all think of the two Iberian nations and their people?

i think the two closest countries/nations to mine (except of Italy which of course is even closer), in terms of mentality, culture, language to a degree and race to a degree again.

Every time i visited Iberia i feeled like being in home.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have a positive outlook at Spaniards and Portuguese. Here in North America a lot of Portuguese, Spanish and Italians can be Guido idiots but a lot of them are friends of mine. In fact my two closest friends are Portuguese. They vary a lot from nice, regular European families to relatives who are complete idiots. However I keep hearing that the Mediterraneans from Europe are more relaxed, I can believe it seeing how some American-Italians are compared to Italians I know from Europe.

On the subject of History I really respect Spain and Portugal as christian kingdoms for going through similar **** against the Moors that we Balkans Christians went through against the Ottoman Empire. I recall a Spanish king even heard of one of Croatia's unlikely victories over the Ottomans and held a celebration in our honour, using it as courage for his own soldiers. As a history fan I also like that Spain encountered the new world, but as I have a great intrigue in Japanese culture I find it fascinating that Portugal so greatly influenced and changed Japanese warfare.

What is a "latino?"  Are not the dependents of the Penninsulars latinos?

All in all their a good people. True Europeans, but I don't like it when Spanish and Portuguese are mixed with Latinos and other foreigners. However the Iberians sure had a large radius of influence from the colonies and naval days, which makes it understandable.

Oh and yeah, everyone in Euro hates Spain but Spain. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • Fia
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Nexius