• This topic has 10 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The joy of Sarma – it is never too late to learn how to make it

Cooking time – If you are faint of heart or culinary purists, please, stop reading now, and the rest of you, here’s how to maybe do it, but probably your first attempt will be much better. “So, what will you write about?”, asks my editor the other day.

Read the full story here

Anonymous

I like this dish. Sarma (holybcy – little doves we call) in Belarusian style. One of the recipe with mushrooms and pearl barley often cooked during fasting periods. Video is a couple of minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXpqFpl00Y

Anonymous

Hah, sarmi are indeed currently cooking in my pot – perfect timing (and good sense of humour)! Of course, it should be noted that you can also make lozovi sarmi (or Greek sarmi; I think they call them dolmades there) exactly the same way, but with grape leafs instead of sour cabbage ones (and they’re usually smaller, which makes them easier to eat, at least for me).

Anonymous

For some reason in our south slavic dialect we never called it sarma/sarmi, we called stuffed cabbage leaves – “vivki”.

Also, with stuffed capsicums/peppers, we called it “tufki”, but we also called it “polnati pipperki”.

Not sure why we called them “vivki” and “tufki” respectively.

I love both stuffed variants.

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

Hnnng would read again because i’m hungry/10

Anonymous

This may be my favorite Slavorum article ever! <3 My compliments to the writer and chef! Thank you! Cabbage Rolls – the first Ukrainian dish my dad taught me how to make.  I make it either in a pressure cooker or slow cooker. 

We call this dish “holubsti,” meaning little pigeon or dove. I was told by a Ukrainian lady at the local Orthodox Church that the word “holubtsi” derived from Ukrainian word “holub” meaning pigeon under the influence of French cuisine. French cooks served roasted pigeons and Ukrainians and Russians found more affordable variant of the dish and named it “holubtsi.” Do you think her story is true? 

Anyway, my cabbage rolls (holubtsi) look like this picture. (There are meatless and meat filled varieties of this dish.) Lots of tomato sauce. Served with mashed potatoes and canned green beans from the summer garden. Perfect Sunday dinner!

Anonymous

My grandfather made made the greatest cabbage rolls I’ve ever tasted, and he called them holubky. Fantastic.

Anonymous

@Karpivna
    > French cooks served roasted pigeons and Ukrainians and Russians found
    more affordable variant of the dish and named it “holubtsi.” Do you
    think her story is true?

That’s what Russian wikipedia article states without providing references. The name little doves or little pigeons are also used for the same dish in Slovakian, Polish, Lithuanian cuisines.

There are numerous variations of the dish in Ukraine depending on the region and season. In some regions of Ukraine beetroot leaves are also used.

Anonymous

I don’t think this dish came to central-eastern Europe from Turkey or the middle east . If we stuffed crepes with different fillings, why wouldn’t we stuff cabbage leaves. Cabbage is staple vegetable in central-eastern Europe.

Anonymous

it is a kind a mistery to me, here in bosnia we only eat sarma around new year. and russian salad to

Anonymous

@GLK In the Rhodopes they’re called “vitki”.

Anonymous

in the Caucasus, this dish is called Dolma (vine leaves)

probably his Turkic roots

Anonymous

From Turkish

Sarma comes  from the verb sarmak which means ‘to wrap’ or ‘to roll’
    Dolma is a verbal noun for the word dolmak, “to be stuffed.”

So the correct name for vine or cabbage leaves rolled around filling is sarma. For things like stuffed peppers or apples is dolma.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • Tujev
  • haver25
  • Glockamole
  • kony97