• This topic has 8 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Anonymous

Looks like a fourth Reich could spring up in Murica rather than good ol' Germany. 😮 I thought Polish was more spread.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Looks like a fourth Reich could spring up in Murica rather than good ol' Germany. 😮 I thought Polish was more spread.

I found the huge German-language presence shocking, as well. No wonder we have so many German-style biergarten festivals! 😮

Anonymous

Tbh i find Tagalog, French Creole & Hmong most interesting. What a fack. ;D German not so much. After all you know Americans are Jerries in disguise. :D And i would expect Polish in Ohio not Illinois but then again i don't know Murica.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I found the huge German-language presence shocking, as well. No wonder we have so many German-style biergarten festivals! 😮

Why so surprised? I expected it, most Americans have German grandparents.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Tbh i find Tagalog, French Creole & Hmong most interesting. What a fack. ;D German not so much. After all you know Americans are Jerries in disguise. :D And i would expect Polish in Ohio not Illinois but then again i don't know Murica.

Is that Hmong state (Idk which one it is) where they made the movie Gran Torino by any chance?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Is that Hmong state (Idk which one it is) where they made the movie Gran Torino by any chance?

The Hmong state is Minnesota. Gran Torino was supposed to be filmed in Minnesota, but for some reason was actually filmed in Detroit, Michigan.  The Hmong came to the USA starting in 1975, after the commie takeover of Laos.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The Hmong state is Minnesota. Gran Torino was supposed to be filmed in Minnesota, but for some reason was actually filmed in Detroit, Michigan.  The Hmong came to the USA starting in 1975, after the commie takeover of Laos.

Damn, I love that movie. Clint is some badass racist motherfucker. And even playing a Polak. ;D I think I have some distant relatives in Minnesota though I'm not completely sure. The state starts with an m and is in the North … I guess that's it. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    And i would expect Polish in Ohio not Illinois but then again i don't know Murica.

Why Ohio? :p I am not surprised that Polish is one of the most common languages spoken in Illinois. But it seems dangerous to be surrounded by Germans again :p

Anonymous

25% of Americans have some German in them.  Largest single ethnic affiliation in the USA.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Why Ohio? :p I am not surprised that Polish is one of the most common languages spoken in Illinois. But it seems dangerous to be surrounded by Germans again :p

I think most of the "Germans" are actually Amish people. :D  Amish speak a Pennsylvania German dialect (popularly known as Pennsylvania Dutch), except in a few communities where they speak a Swiss dialect. This dialect is most likely recorded as "German" on the US census. Eighteen states of the United States have a significant Amish population. The Amish are also conscientious objectors of war due to their religious convictions.

Anonymous

I am curious now about pronunciation of Polish language there in Polish communities.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am curious now about pronunciation of Polish language there in Polish communities.

I don't have any examples for you. Sorry. You will just have to come visit and see for yourself! :D There is a huge Polish Village in Chicago, and many, many Polish-themed events throughout the year. My sister lives in a suburb of Chicago and knows many Polish who are recent immigrants from Poland. In fact, my sister's husband is of Polish ancestry. My cousin married a guy from Poznan two years ago. They live in Georgia, though.

Here are some pretty Polish-Chicago girls for you to enjoy, in the meantime. :D  "Queen of Polish Constitution Day Parade-Chicago 2013" 

Queen of Polish Constitution Day Parade-Chicago 2013

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't have any examples for you. Sorry. You will just have to come visit and see for yourself! :D

Visa :/

Quote:
    There is a huge Polish Village in Chicago, and many, many Polish-themed events throughout the year. My sister lives in a suburb of Chicago and knows many Polish who are recent immigrants from Poland. In fact, my sister's husband is of Polish ancestry. My cousin married a guy from Poznan two years ago. They live in Georgia, though.

People from Poznań are perceived in Poland as mean people. :p

Quote:
    Here are some pretty Polish-Chicago girls for you to enjoy, in the meantime. :D  "Queen of Polish Constitution Day Parade-Chicago 2013" 

<br /:D” title=”>:D” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Language map based off USA census that I thought some might find interesting. I never realized there were so many Russian-speaking people in Oregon.

[img width=700 height=465]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/844/s8bu.jpg” />

How many Russians and Slavs in general are there in 'Murica?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

14 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Симеон
  • Shendelzare Silkwood
  • KratΩs
  • SinisterWidow
  • Armenian Slayer
  • Vuk