• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Just a philosophical question: To what degree do you think people have control over their own lives? What role do god(s)/fate/chance/the universe etc. play in shaping the course of a human life?

My personal answer: 50-50 split, the gods provide opportunities/possibilities in our lives, and mortals must decide which road(s) to take.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Just a philosophical question: To what degree do you think people have control over their own lives? What role do god(s)/fate/chance/the universe etc. play in shaping the course of a human life?

My personal answer: 50-50 split, the gods provide opportunities/possibilities in our lives, and mortals must decide which road(s) to take.

Question you gave is more theological than philosophical…this question is going about determinism. Is everything determinated or not?

Anonymous

Well, you can say they control everything. Then you can say they controle some. And you can say they control nothing. Which one is true? Noone knows. If we knew … things would be a lot easier. ;D If you ask people what they believe, on the other hand …
    I believe "they" (I believe only in a singular force that could be called God) control some minor things and then the afterlife – if there is one. You see, I have trouble believing even in one God, not that I'd believe now in many gods. I like the idea that "God" is a perfection and thatfor doesn't need to bother with us – so nothing is determined (no predestination) and you also don't need to fear him. I also don't think there is an afterlife.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I also don't think there is an afterlife.

😮 So, after burial, we just get eaten up by worms? What about the "soul"? 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    😮 So, after burial, we just get eaten up by worms? What about the "soul"?

Soul should be some kind of energy, or? At least some think of it like that. Well, perhaps it leaves the body in form of heat and contributes to global warming – I don't know.  :)

If there is no afterlife, the soul dies along with the body. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it would be like that. And if there is an afterlife, oh, don't let it be the Catholic model! :( Then I'll surely come to that place that we call "vice" (I don't know the English word). You know, neither heaven or hell but that place in between. Ain't much pleasant I hear …  ;D

Anonymous

I am generally with the Ilmitari school on this one.

God gives you a starting position and it's up to you where you end (for better or worse).

Anonymous

I would say "they" have a huge influence on our lives even if "they" do not exist. Owing to religions every moral codex have been created. Do not kill, do not steal or I never killed, I never stolen. Eye for an eye, even. Through centuries…tfu! Through millenias people were influenced by their own beliefs and nowadays also people who are unbelievers follow those rules.

In this case we are pretty much under the influence of the religion. Not in positive sense, nor in negative. We just have rules that we follow and accept. Every faith has a good objective: to give people hope, to make them feel not alone it their solitude, to force them to live in peace and harmony. It depends on people how they will picture their own religion in present times. But not religions are guilty of the sins of humanity. Religion is in people's heads, not necessary in reality. Obviously not in this world, I think.

This is the only way I can say that people are "controled" by God or gods. I am no theist. But if there is someone, a deity, I don't know where, I don't feel its presence, so I would say that – as well – only by the code we are determined. How we live and what do we do with our life and life of the others.

Anonymous

People are free to steer their lives. How often they choose the right ways is determined by their wisdom. But to foresee the exact result of own actions seems superhuman.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • jorgos
  • Jan Pat II
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • some slavic guy...
  • кошка
  • Fia