• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am pretty sure that all of you (or most of you), have heard about the recent Ukrainian Crisis. I am not going to discuss the political actions, or ask you who is right or wrong. I would like to tell you about one song that has initiated an entire action of help for the Ukrainian families and is now known as the unofficial anthem of Maidan.

First of all, I advise you to have a listen to the song:

"Podaj Ręke Ukrainie" Original – Taraka – Podaj Rękę Ukrainie (LIVE Majdan)
    "Give Ukraine A Helping Hand" English version – Taraka – Give Ukraine A Helping Hand

And here is the whole story:
    It all started on the 31st of January 2014, when a Polish-Ukrainian band TARAKA recorded "Give Ukraine A Helping Hand" in two language versions (Polish and Ukrainian).  Then, they sent out a  letter  to all Polish and Ukrainian radio stations asking them to play the song on the 2nd of February at 5:15pm.  In a day's time, the band received positive responses from many of them. 
    Thanks to the help of  Miron Sycz and Ruslana Lyzhychko (the winner of Eurovision Song Contest in 2004),  on the 2nd of February, at exactly 5:15pm, the Ukrainian version of the song was officially played via the PA system in the Kiev's Independence Square.  The Ukrainian television ESPRESO TV prepared a special video material  to accompany the live broadcast.  Information was received that 10 million people listened to the song that day  😮

During the following days, TARAKA received many thanks from Ukraine. The most important ones include:

– written thanks from the members of  the Culture and Cultural-Historical Heritage Committee of the Lviv District Board.
    – Thanks from Ukrainian students that were organized in front of the building of Polish Consulate in Lviv (see link below:
    http://www.kuriergalicyjski.com/index.php/polacyukr/2978-ukrai-cy-dzi-kuj-polakom ).

Moreover, a summary of this whole  action can be found on the website of The Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( see link:

http://www.msz.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci/wiadomosci/lwow_dziekuje_polakom_za_solidarno?printMode=true )

On the 9th of February, the band played a concert in Kiev.  During the encore the whole Independence Square (150 000 people) sang the song Podaj Rękę Ukrainie".
    You can watch the concert here:
    Виступ польського гурту "Тарака"

On the 18th of March, the band released an  album "TARAKA & Friends Give Ukraine a Helping Hand".
    The money from the sales of this album will be donated to the Ukrainian  families and other people who have suffered most during the protests. The promo song was recorded in 3 languages (Polish, Ukrainian and English).  The English version was performed by Nichol Martin, a young aspiring British singer.

Moreover, Lidia Pankiv, a Ukrainian journalist, said in a TV interview that on the 18th of February, when the worst clashes took place, they constantly played the song and sang it. She also added that it was louder that the explosions and gun shots.

I have never heard of an incident in the entire history of music, that one country would give its neighbor a such a song. It is also another excellent proof that there is a lot more to Slavic music than just simple folk tunes.
    I would like to know your opinion about the song and the whole action. If you are interested, you can visit the band's facebook page or the action's facebook page (it's in English):

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Give-Ukraine-A-Helping-Hand/407616802716584

I hope that you've found this article interesting.
    Take care,
    :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • jorgos
  • Fia
  • kony97
  • Tujev