• This topic has 21 voices and 64 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Plenty of football and history in this book. I got impression that the author argues; the final nail in the Yugoslavia’s coffin was the defeat against Argentina in 1990.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/London-immigrant-suckers-Kolya-S-ebook/dp/B01H0MD002

Anonymous

I mentioned this book in my earlier post, a great read. I don’t know how people felt at the time, but I’m sure even if they won the World Cup, nothing would have changed. Yugoslavia was doomed from day one.

Anonymous

Yugoslavia wasn’t doomed until the 80s. If the proposed plan by Slovenia was accepted by Serbia for a confederation the things would have been managable once the nationalist element started to settle.

Anonymous

Yugo was doomed from the start. Part 1 failed, Part 2 also failed
    Too much differences in any aspect
    No more

Anonymous

I agree with KnezIvan. Although, it would be interesting to see what would have happened if they won against Argentina…I also think that the mighty Yugoslav basketball team, if they’ve stayed together, would never beat the Dream team in 1992.

Anonymous

@slavishen True that. I mean defensively Drazen couldn’t even get handle of Muggsy Bogues at 1986 World Championship, so I really wonder what was in the mind of people that claim that he could handle Michael Jordan :)

Anonymous

The element that still sticks with me a few weeks after having read London for Immigrant suckers is the main character’s indifference to the ethical surrounding in Yugoslavia/Bosnia and Herzegovina. Was it really possible to live in the 80’s and beginning of the 90’s and not support either side and be neutral?  People who declared themselves as Yugoslavs, what was their ethnically background? Did you have, let say Serbs supporting Croatian teams (Dinamo for example) or was it; Serbs supporting Serbs teams and so on? 

Anonymous

@slavishen I guess there were such rare cases, but the strength of the football/basketball/any sport league back in the days of Yugoslavia was due to huge, local fan base. Clubs such as Radnicki Nis or Hajduk Split were successful because they had local support. Football fans today are like NBA basketball players. You see top basketball stars joining forces together to win the championship, but in the 90’s it was much greater rivalry and it could never happen. The same is in football with the football fans. Basically everyone cheer for top teams. That’s why smaller clubs disappear gradually. I can say today football is not even so popular as back then, perhaps I’m just talking about Serbia but there isn’t hype around derby matches.

Anonymous

@KostaSolevRacin Funny you mentioned Slovenia. There is a part in the book above which I couldn’t figure out whether is fiction or a true fact. Apparently, back in the 57′ or 58′ E. Kardelj said that Yugoslavia was a transitional creation, a result of the international relations in the imperialist epoch which would dissolve itself once that epoch is finished, so everybody would go their own way. I like that definition but I also doubt that he was able to say such a thing in that time. I couldn’t find this in any books as it would be good to use it as a reference. 

Anonymous

An interesting video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQTOh205lI

Anonymous

Before ol’ Tito died there was widespread saying around here. They always said, when Tito will die Yugoslavia will collapse. A self fulfilling prophecy perhaps. It just goes to show how weak the spirit of unity was if they needed one single central figure to glue it together.

Anonymous

I cheered for Hajduk Tuzla, a Bosnian club.

I’m from Serbia and as an 80’s kid I was thought that I’m a Yugoslav. Being a Serb was just a geographical region, I considered myself to be a part of the great Yugoslav people.

It was crazy when the war broke out. I’ve heard about ustashas only from the history books about the WW2 genocide, it was quite a shock when some people started waving Nazi flags and killing poor Yugoslav 18 yrs old conscripts. Then the war broke out. And when I saw mujahedins in Bosnia cutting Serbian and Croatian people heads off, just because they weren’t Muslims, it was really a traumatizing childhood. My own people separated into 3 different religious fractions, started a bloody war and turned into freaking monsters.

The country I was born in doesn’t exist anymore. A lot of time had to pass until I found my own identity again. Hajduk Tuzla fans often cheer “kill the Serbs” on the matches today. I don’t cheer for any football club anymore.

Anonymous

@djordjemilo I never heard of Hajduk Tuzla. It was only Hajduk Split

Anonymous

@KnezIvan with that kind of elaboration from your “educated ” point of view, who could ever argue…. ( sarcasm )

Anonymous

All of you claiming Yugoslavia was not something worth or even manageable preserving are unfortunately not very informed or very bright to make necessary deductions.

1. Confederation couldve existed as per Slovenian proposal.
    2. When things started to get nationalistic Veljko Kadijević shouldve arrested per Stjepan Mesić proposal both Milošević and Tudjman established military regime and work toward peaceful resolution of the national elements with councils from all the republics.
    3. If UDBA worked as it shouldve had I wouldnt be today in fucking EU and we would still have a beautiful Yugoslavia as our state.

Capitalistic mobsters prevailed against reasoning. That is also the reason why in the future our countries will be nothing of any significance or prosperity. Each and every viable industry or research and development is today found only in western part of EU. In Dalmatia the best thing you can hope for is to be a waiter during summer season. And idiots in Slavonia have never produced less or lived worse in their hole lives and are massively fleeing to Ireland.

On the positive side maybe the will find 4 leap clover while they are there. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Nexius