• This topic has 11 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, I have noticed something about Eastern European countries which I do not see as much in other places. Why is it that houses in eastern Europe tend to have these sorts of white almost transparent curtains. They are hard to describe but they are like drapes and almost glow, very striking in appearance. They look ghost like and like something from the 1960s. One could describe them almost as crochet like. Have any of you seen these and know what I am speaking about?

Anonymous

Do you mean lace curtains?

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][img height=300]http://www.oldeworldelace.com/images/Engl%20Swag%20PR_ins%20Val_%20PNL%20Plain.jpg”/>[/td]
    [td][img height=300]http://www.themillshop.co.uk/images/ww/heidi.jpg”/>[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Anonymous

Yes, those are exactly them. I wonder why they are so popular in eastern Europe.

Anonymous

I think it's just tradition. In any ld village you will see such curtains. Probably just how it has been done since ages.

Anonymous

I really like them.

Anonymous

They are defensive curtains. You can see out but they can't clearly see in. Yet you still get some sunshine.

Anonymous

We have them at home too, but I dont live in eastern Europe. The room looks much more homely with them. I was very frustated when have been living at the college and I had no one in my room.

Anonymous

firhaňg  :D
    We have them only in the kitchen and living room.

P. S. and yeh, I would not say that Slovakia is eastern Europe :) just so  ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    They are defensive curtains. You can see out but they can't clearly see in. Yet you still get some sunshine.

In daylight only… At night when you switch the light on, and there is darkness outside, you will not see anything, but they will see you :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In daylight only… At night when you switch the light on, and there is darkness outside, you will not see anything, but they will see you :)

Aye, you're sniper bait. Something needs to be done to fix this fundamental weakness of eastern nations or we'll fall prey to the velvet curtain armed enemy.

Anonymous

Like, you have NOT curtains in your home?? Hmmpft.
    In our flat, we hace curtains everywhere, but for example in mine and brother's room we have short orange-yellow curtain with flowers.

Anonymous

Also they make great dust catchers and they are pain in ass to wash :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Also they make great dust catchers and they are pain in ass to wash :D

My son has asthma and we used to have these kind of drapes.  Used to run them in the washer and then dryer on delicate.  Ended up putting Roman shades on the windows and are much happier with them.  If I ever moved to Europe, the two things I would not live without would be a washer and dryer.  I know they are not popular in Southern Europe at all.  I would think that in colder Slavic nations they would be very popular.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Jan Pat II
  • ca$hbunni
  • slovborg
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • kony97