• This topic has 14 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi i want to see all types of traditional Russian fur hats. Especialy i wonder if there are any special fur hat's from А́страхань region. Also i whant to know different names for fur hats in Russia.

Anonymous

I hoped, anyone more competent in this matter would answer to your question, but there're no posts. At the present time in Russia there popular usual western hats, some people imitating the western culture don't wear any hats even in arctic climate.

Shapka (Fr. chape from Lat. Cappa – headdress) – the traditional headdress of the Russian national costume, famous from the time X century. Shapka had a round cone-shaped crown height is about 31 cm and a round fur down with 9 cm in height. The top crown was sometimes bending to its back. At the front of the cap (and sometimes in the back) made the cut, which was called "proreha". those hats were widespread in all strata of society, and subsequently all headwear cap began to be called "shapka".

Shapka gorlatnaya – fur (male and female) headdress of the Russian nobility XV – XVII centuries, growing up cylinder with a velvet or brocade top. Hats were trimmed with fox, marten or sable fur. The fur was taken from necks, hence the name, "gorlo" means "neck" in Russian.

image image

Stolbunets and Stolbun – stand-up or high, some tapering upwards cap with fur edging or with the shelves, and different decorations.

The kings wore fur hats, decorated with precious stones, the most famous among them is The Crown of Monomakh:

Nauruz – men hat in-kind cap with shelves (fields), square, tear, buttons and tassels.

The usual people wore winter sheepskin hats of different styles – malakhai and treukhi. Malakhai had four blades, two of them covered his forehead and neck, and the other two – the ears and cheeks, they were long and could be wrapped around the neck, tying at the back. Treukhi – "three ear," resembled a modern hat-ushanka with movable tail.

[img width=200 height=300]http://www.ronnon.ru/upload/iblock/c76/c76f2935e963298c8bf64515f3a77ced.JPG”/>

The most popular fur hat in modern Russia is "ushanka", cap with earflaps. This hat is descended from the Scythians similar headgear:

The prototype of ushanka was a "cap-kolchakovka", which is widely used in the White armies of Kolchak in 1918-1919. Later, the fashion for fur cap with a round crown is distributed among the workers of St. Petersburg, and then across Russia.

imageimageimage

Now it's one of the most common stereotypes about Russia with bears and vodka, the souvenir, used in Russian armed forces:

There exist many kinds of ushankas, with different structure, type of fur and skin..

imageimageimageimage

Anonymous

Most of Slavic, actually all Slavic countries have fur hats in one way or another similar. I believe it's a Scyntho/Sarmatian trait in Slavic and some east European countries (Hungary for example as well)

This is Croatian for example:

Thought, Ushanka is the best btw!  ;)

Anonymous

Ushanka, every Rusky is born with one ;D

Zna li iko gdje se mogu kupiti par ušanki kod nas?

Anonymous

I've got one also. Pity this winter is so warm, it just makes me hot, because it really keeps my head warm!

Anonymous

Are ushankas made of 100% fur or is it mixed with synthetic matérials?

Anonymous

Ushanka is the only type of hats which protects me from -30 and below. Some countries like Canada and even Germany also admit its effectiveness.

Quote:
    Are ushankas made of 100% fur or is it mixed with synthetic matérials?

It depends from a manufacturer, they are mainly made from natural fur in Russia, maybe chinese  substitute is made ​​from polymers, i don't know.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ushanka is the only type of hats which protects me from -30 and below. Some countries like Canada and even Germany also admit its effectiveness.

You are lucky to have such temperatures. Last time it was -30 in Poland was years ago. Now temperatures sit at around 0, few degrees under or few degrees over even. My uszatka is sitting and colelcting dust. I wore it last few days ago and I had to take it off from heat.

Anonymous

If I'm not in mistake, even in Polish Army equipement is used Ushanka. My cousin received one from Army (with uniform).

Anonymous

Great topic.

In Serbia, we have like this, its called "Šubara":

Anonymous

I've read that the Ushanka originated in Germany and Scandinavia and was introduced to the Russian Military by Admiral Kolchak.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I've read that the Ushanka originated in Germany and Scandinavia and was introduced to the Russian Military by Admiral Kolchak.

This is a very inaccurate statement. Yes, Kolchak's army had problems with the production of uniforms in Siberia, they often used captured red uniforms or delivery of the Entente. Kolchak's and therefore Soviet Ushanka really borrowed some elements from Nansen's hat, but there existed many differences. If Ushanka originated in Western countries, why for everyone in these countries ushanka is seen as purely Russian attribute? :)

Anonymous

Nothing hotter than a beautiful Slavic girl in an ushanka.

Anonymous

czechoslovak army used to use these, I have couple of them at home from my grandapa ,we call them "baranica" :D
    nowaday they are made of polymers thou

Anonymous

I need to dress more lady-like for the coming winter carnivals. I came to know of the http://www.arctic-store.com store who claim to have a huge collection of russian fur hats, winter caps, fur hats and other fur accessories. Can anyone provide me feedback on this store?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • slovborg
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Tujev