• This topic has 7 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, i want to ask you folks how to translate the Dutch name Den Nijs to Cyrillic alphabet.

I thought of Дэн Нийс or Дэн Ныс but there is no proper way to translate the IJ to Cyrillic.

What is the proper spelling?
    Do i also need to use the ъ or ь ??

Anonymous

One thing – into which language you would like to transliterate it. Cyrillic-writing nations write foreign words phonetically – so we would also need to know how the name is pronounced.

It's the same as with Latin spelling. An Englishman would write the name different than a Spaniard, but still both would be reflections of the word in Latin spelling.

Anonymous

I would like to have it translated to Russian or Belarussian.

All letters are pronounced like in those languages except for the ij.

The proper pronounciation in IPA is ɛɪ

I hope you can do something with this.

Anonymous

I'm assuming it would be this:

Russian: Дэн Нэйс
    Belarusian Дэн Нэйс

But I don't speak either language.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hello, i want to ask you folks how to translate the Dutch name Den Nijs to Cyrillic alphabet.

Well, waht you ask for is transliteration. :)

Quote:
    I thought of Дэн Нийс or Дэн Ныс but there is no proper way to translate the IJ to Cyrillic.

What is the proper spelling?
    Do i also need to use the ъ or ь ??

Tell me first which language it is, since each of languages who use Cyrilllic has different orthography, same case as with Latin script languages.

Дэн Нийс  would be Russian transliteration, probably Ukrainian and Belarusian, altough I am not sure for last two. Serbian would be Ден Нијс.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I would like to have it translated to Russian or Belarussian.

All letters are pronounced like in those languages except for the ij.

The proper pronounciation in IPA is ɛɪ

I hope you can do something with this.

In Belarusian the name would be spelled exactly as it sounds. Generally, but not always, it's also applies to Russian and Ukrainian languages to spell foreign names. If you can find the recorded sound of ɛɪ I would spell it in Belarusian and Russian. Svevlad provided the answer already which is accurate enough.

Anonymous

I checked on Internet, about Russian transliteration.
    According to Wikipedia:
    Dutch-Russian tranliteration
    It should be Нейс. IJ render эй only on begining of word.
    Here as well:
    http://www.trworkshop.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48296

Anonymous

I think it woud be just Ден Нийс or it sounds very similar to the name Денис.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think it woud be just Ден Нийс or it sounds very similar to the name Денис.

I think we should listen to the pronunciation of his name first. If the sound  'ɛɪ' as in English Kate, then it'd be Нейс in Russian and Нэйс in Belarusian. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think we should listen to the pronunciation of his name first. If the sound  'ɛɪ' as in English Kate, then it'd be Нейс in Russian and Нэйс in Belarusian.

What if Nijs pronounces as the English word nice? I know place names ending on -wijk are pronounced as "vajk".
    ij = i (English) = aj (Slovene), or sth like that.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What if Nijs pronounces as the English word nice? I know place names ending on -wijk are pronounced as "vajk".
    ij = i (English) = aj (Slovene), or sth like that.

In that case it'd be Найс.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Nefario
  • jorgos
  • Glockamole
  • кошка
  • slovborg