• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello,

Near Trygław's temple in Szczecin there was said to be a holy nut tree. Has anybody an idea which nuts that could be? Haselnuts or walnuts or…? (I thought it would be nice for my household shrine to have a little bowl with nuts honouring Trygław.)

Thanks for the answers!

Sincerely,
    Sebastian

Anonymous

Hello.

There are only two species of "nut-trees" which are natural for Polish flora. These are: Juglans regia (walnut) and Corylus avellana (hazelnut). So I bet it was one of them.

It is hard to say me for me, as both of these trees may become astonishing in look at some time. And I cannot find an answer anywhere, but you was probably searching for it ass well :) Undoubtedly, it is one of them, as only these two were common in this part of Europe.

Anonymous

No chestnuts in Poland? :O

Anonymous

Damn, I forgot about them :p

So maybe I forgot about something else as well.

But tell me someone, who may know something about this tree in Szczecin. It is said, that there were nuts, or it is said, that it is a part of "orzechowate" family?

EDIT: Yeah, there is also an oak :] I have found this about this tree in Szczecin:

"Święty dąb ze Szczecina, stał się przyczyną zamieszek, gdy chcieli go ściąć, i niestety ścięli, niemieccy misjonarze. "

Which means: The holy oak from Szczecin became one of the reasons of riots, when they wanted to cut them – and unfortunately did – German missionaries.

Anonymous

Thank you both for the answers!

I'll guess I'll do nothing wrong if I just place a bowl with haselnuts, walnuts and chestnuts. It's the symbol that matters, isn't it?

Anonymous

What bowl with nuts? O_o

Anonymous

Anonymous

Yeah, sure. Squirrels love nuts.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hello,

Near Trygław's temple in Szczecin there was said to be a holy nut tree. Has anybody an idea which nuts that could be? Haselnuts or walnuts or…? (I thought it would be nice for my household shrine to have a little bowl with nuts honouring Trygław.)

Thanks for the answers!

Sincerely,
    Sebastian

For me it was hazel tree. According recent Polish researches about the reconstruction of Polish Old Gods pantheon, Triglav's equivalent name is Eastern Slavic Veles. In Polish medieval sources his name is Nyja. I read that guards who protected his sacred tree were able to eat its nuts/fruits, so it is possible it was hazel tree. Additionally in Polish folklore tales hazel tree was resistant to thunderbolts. Having in mind Slavic myth about Perun vs Veles battle, it is logical that Triglav's sacred tree could be hazel tree (Polish ethnographical sources say his another sacred tree was willow).

The second possible tree is black elder (Sambucus nigra) with edible fruits, which is very common in Poland. According to Polish folk beliefs, under each of this tree/shrub called in Polish 'czarny bez' there is an entrance to the underworld.

So, I think if you want to honour Triglav you can plant in your garden hazel tree, willow and black elder :)

[img width=700 height=575]http://www.bogowiepolscy.net/gfx/image/06_Nyja.jpg” />
    Short description of Triglav/Nyja in English is below the picture

Article in Polish about Triglav/Veles/Nyja
    http://www.bogowiepolscy.net/nyja-nija-1.html#1._zrodla

Anonymous

Thank you, Prelja!

According to some Germanic heathen's interpretation Trygław was the same deity as Frija or Nordic Frigg (in some sources Trygław appears as a female deity comparable to Greek Hekate or Roman Diana Triformis) and to this goddess (Frigg) hazel was sacred.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • jorgos
  • kony97
  • Tujev