• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, I was positive that my Tugi/Tuga ancestors were Czech by origin, however, it came to my attention that there was no proof of them being Czech at all, and Volhynia (their place of origin) saw a tiny amount Czech migration. I decided to check and I saw that Volhynia was under Ottoman rule (not long before they were born) and that Tugi is a surname present in Turkey, however a variant of it “Tugay” is more popular and means “Brigade”. Could they have actually been of Turkish origin? Also, my ancestor who bore this name was very swarthy for a “Czech”. What do you think?

Anonymous

Highly doubt they had anything to do with Turks. Whats even more interesting is that Ottoman army probably was made out of Balkan jannisaries and even members of High Porte (grand viziers etc) often originated from Balkans.

Anonymous

I certainly appreciate your opinion, they certainly weren’t Czech though. There was a Swiss organ maker who carried the surname “Tugi”, which could suggest Italian roots in his case? 

Anonymous

If for whatever reason they came from Ottoman empire they most probably had something to do with Vlachs as Ottomans were oppresing Vlach population towards the end of their dominance on Balkans so they moved to Austro-Hungarian empire.

Anonymous

Maybe, considering their surname is fairly common in Moldova/Romania, maybe that’s where they came from?

Anonymous

Oh yeah, they come from Ukraine, so it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to assume that they were of Vlach origin.

Anonymous

No, I didn’t mean Vlachs from Romania. I meant something more like this.

Anonymous

Maybe, but I don’t think so. But Vlach in general seems reasonable.

Anonymous

Dude REALLY doesn’t want his ancestor to be Czech. I always thought we were too swarthy to be Czech, but apparently that’s complete hogwash. My Czech family is incredibly swarthy, but they’re all Bohemian Czechs as far back the late 1700’s at least.

Anonymous

There is a lot of gypsies in Czechia.

Anonymous

I never said that, I just said that its improbable that they were Czech going off the present evidence. If you twist my words into “Dude REALLY doesn’t want his ancestor to be Czech.” Them I’m going to appear as some sort of nonce. The truth is, he maybe Czech he maybe not, I honestly don’t give one and it doesn’t affect me as he’s my great (x3) grandfather.

Anonymous

@Gvarda I’d be fine with it, as people are people, but we don’t have any south asian in our DNA.

Anonymous

Hello?

Anonymous

@Bernhard Hi2U2

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • Glockamole
  • kony97
  • haver25
  • Tujev