• This topic has 7 voices and 43 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, my grandmother is partly Czech and her ancestral surname is Tuhý, I got told that it comes from Czech Silesia or that it could be SüdetenDeutsche. Any idea? Thanks

Anonymous

Not sure, but on kdejsme.cz, there are 119 people in the Czech Republic with that surname, with the majority in Bohemia.

Anonymous

Yes, but some infamous Czechs from Silesia carry this surname. Neither evidence is conclusive though. I’m waiting for more opinions, thanks for the info though, but I believe he came from Moravia or Silesia as he came in the early 20th century to Poland. Maybe some members may know why he immigrated?

Anonymous

Do you not like Bohemians? Hahaha

Anonymous

I don’t mind them 

Anonymous

Then what makes you feel the name must be Moravian or Silesian.

Anonymous

I don’t know. What makes you feel it must be Bohemian? 

Anonymous

The fact that the overwhelming majority of Tuhys live there.

Anonymous

Just because a majority of people bearing a surname live in a certain place doesn’t mean they are from there, are Smiths Native American as the overwhelming majority of Americans bear the surname Smith? No. It doesn’t. 

Anonymous

@Bernhard On this point I would side Bohemian or Moravian ancestry because “Tuhý” is a surname describing feature of given person (tough or thug if you want) in Czech language. Description of given feature in Silesian language would be “Twardy” – more similar to Polish language than to Czech. Also letter “H” is quite rare in Silesian, you can mostly see “G” in Silesian where Czech uses “H” for instance: EN-His, CZ-Jeho, SI-Jego.

Anonymous
    Ah, but the way my ancestor spelled it was “tugy”. 

Anonymous

Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, certain southern Russian dialects do not have sound ‘G’. In Ukrainian and Belarusian ‘G’ is a fricative ‘G’ something between ‘H’ and ‘G’.

In Belarusian ‘Tuhý’ is ‘Тугi’ (Tuhi) – literally tight or stiff. ‘Twardy’ sounds as Belarusian ‘ćviordy’ – firm or hard.

Anonymous

Czech and Slovak doesn’t have sound of ‘G’ ??  Sorry @Sviatogor but you shot and missed. 
    Regarding Tuhý vs. Twardy. Polish and Silesian, as far as I know, do not distinguish between stiff and hard so much, twardy is often used for both cases.

Anonymous

@Goryvlad

I won’t be arguing with you. I talked to a Slovak guy who said there’re few words that strong ‘G’. Often, those are loan words. That’s what he said to me.

Anonymous

He lived in Wołyń, 40k or so Czechs lived in Wołyń so it makes sense. But I don’t know which region of Czechia he came from, personally, I think he came from Cieszyn Silesia as he moved to the countryside and wasn’t very rich. Most people in Bohemia were either rich/educated or were ethnic Germans and hence “privileged”. Albeit if he was Silesian, chances are he had some German ancestor but that’s beside the point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • haver25
  • kony97
  • pringles vending machine
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • slovborg
  • Tujev