• This topic has 20 voices and 55 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

A Russian government official has revealed that Russia would be willing to fight a war over the Crimea region of Ukraine and protect the large Russian population and its military assets there.

"If Ukraine breaks apart, it will trigger a war," the unnamed official told the Financial Times.

"They will lose Crimea first [because] we will go in and protect [it], just as we did in Georgia," the official continued.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been publicly restrained about the Ukraine and sent Vladimir Lukin, a former diplomat and human rights commissioner, to Kiev as a mediator.

But analysts have pointed to the possibility of a repetition of the 2008 Georgia conflict when Russian troops and tanks invaded after the Georgian government launched an attack on the separatist region of South Ossetia. One hundred and fifty people died in the Russian action.

Russia is one of the few countries in the world to officially recognise the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, and would be likely do so with the Crimea region should Ukraine divide.

The speaker of the Crimea parliament, Volodymyr Konstantinov, suggested that the Russian-majority region might secede from Ukraine if it splits in the event of a civil war.

"It is possible, if the country breaks apart. And everything is moving towards that," he told Russian news agency Interfax.

Ukraine's western region of Lviv has already reportedly declared independence from the central government.

Ukraine is a nation torn between Russia and the European Union, situated at the heart of the "shared neighbourhood" between the two blocs.

Approximately 21% of Ukraine's population is Russian and it holds deep cultural and historical links with modern Russia because of its Soviet history.

The region of Crimea lies on the northern coast of the Black Sea. Russia's massive Black Sea Fleet is stationed at Sevastopol and 60% of the region's population are ethnic Russians.

The Russian elite views Ukraine as part of the Soviet "sphere of influence" and sees the country as a potential bulwark against the growth of EU liberalisation.

"We will not allow Europe and the US to take Ukraine from us. The states [are] of the former Soviet Union, we are one family," a foreign policy official told the FT.

"They think Russia is still as weak as in the early 1990s but we are not."

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych has claimed a deal to resolve Ukraine's political crisis has been reached with pro-European opposition leaders after the bloodiest day in the country's history since the Soviet era and footage emerging of government snipers firing on unarmed protesters.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraine-crisis-russia-ready-go-war-over-crimea-1437398

Anonymous

Crimea is an autonomous republic of Ukraine since Ukraine gained independence. Crimeans can constitutionally gain independence if I am not mistaken. There have been talks in Crimean parliament of the republic becoming independent during the crisis.  Crimea is also a strategic region but I cannot Russia going to war. It’s more likely western media is escalating the situation. 

Anonymous

Who would war with Russians anyways in the case of Crimean secession..If the crisis becomes so deep hypothetically speaking,that the autonomous republic declares independence who would fight against them?I doubt Ukraine would even be able to muster any willing force against the Crimmea in such a scenario,so Russian intervention would be to do what?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Crimea is an autonomous republic of Ukraine since Ukraine gained independence. Crimeans can constitutionally gain independence if I am not mistaken. There have been talks in Crimean parliament of the republic becoming independent during the crisis.  Crimea is also a strategic region but I cannot Russia going to war. It’s more likely western media is escalating the situation. 

You are absolutely right, Svitogor. Why people on Slavorum continue to post western news sources? It is artificial nonsens, no one from Russian goverment didn't claim such things. (or I, living in Russia, don't know what is happenning?) Again american news provocation. Please, don't post non-proven facts.

About Crimea, it was Vadimir Konstantinov, the head of the Republic who said that if the situation turns worser, Crimea most probably will claim independent and join to Russia.
    Please, Perun, don't allow to post unproven news.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You are absolutely right, Svitogor. Why people on Slavorum continue to post western news sources? It is artificial nonsens, no one from Russian goverment didn't claim such things. (or I, living in Russia, don't know what is happenning?) Again american news provocation. Please, don't post non-proven facts.

About Crimea, it was Vadimir Konstantinov, the head of the Republic who said that if the situation turns worser, Crimea most probably will claim independent and join to Russia.
    Please, Perun, don't allow to post unproven news.

There are no such news in Ukrainian or Belarusian press. It's part of the information war in which western media is trying to escalate the situation. 

Karpivna often copy-pastes the latest news from CNN and similar sources to inform us about the latest events in our countries.  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There are no such news in Ukrainian or Belarusian press. It's part of the information war in which western media is trying to escalate the situation. 

Karpivna often copy-pastes the latest news from CNN and similar sources to inform us about the latest events in our countries.  ;D

Yes, I know. I always was wondering why she is doing that. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It’s more likely western media is escalating the situation. 

Now that they promised to have early elections and possibly free Тимошенко (Lol..), the only ones who want to go to war are Obama & co. :D

Anonymous

The Crimean peninsula isn't really Ukrainian to begin with. As much as I don't like the idea of giving territory to the world's largest country in the future the government of Ukraine should consider handing over that territory and let the ethnic Russians and Tatars sort it out between themselves.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Many others do the same. ;) If is was a problem, you could have kindly messaged me, as a moderator, to let me know it was problem, rather than do a public harassment.

I guess I should warn all my genealogy boards not to bother using Slavorum? Americans, Europeans, etc. of Slavic ancestry not welcome here? So it seems.  :-

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Many others do the same. ;) If is was a problem, you could have kindly messaged me, as a moderator, to let me know it was problem, rather than do a public harassment.

I guess I should warn all my genealogy boards not to bother using Slavorum? Americans, Europeans, etc. of Slavic ancestry not welcome here? So it seems.  :-

Sunshine! You are free to post anything you wish on Slavorum. It may not be obvious, the events in Ukraine touched some of us and it’s irritating to see inaccurate news are posted.

Anonymous

As far as I know, Russian fleet is already in Crimea, due to bilateral treaty. So why would Russia send any more troops there? Novorossijsk – Anapa area is in guns range. Crimea is an autonomous region and can declare independence or whatever they want, all what would have to be done is to set border crossing where needed. What would Ukraine do, attack Russia? What would West do, bomb Moscow :P? Western media…

Look, I think I'm really well-intentioned to the Ukrainians; consider them as close Slavic Orthodox-Christian people. On the other hand if anything makes me puke, those are Slavs who were on Axe's side in WW2. So, maybe it could do some good for Ukraine itself: Crimea to RF as it has to be, and those "Children of the Corns" from Lavov/IF area … let them go to Poland, nolens volens. Must admit to Catholics – they're much more effective in shutting up and size reducing of that kind of low-life.

And think it would reduce Ukraine's internal problems a lot.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Look, I think I'm really well-intentioned to the Ukrainians; consider them as close Slavic Orthodox-Christian people. On the other hand if anything makes me puke, those are Slavs who were on Axe's side in WW2. So, maybe it could do some good for Ukraine itself: Crimea to RF as it has to be, and those "Children of the Corns" from Lavov/IF area … let them go to Poland, nolens volens. Must admit to Catholics – they're much more effective in shutting up and size reducing of that kind of low-life.

And think it would reduce Ukraine's internal problems a lot.

Don't understand what religions have with it?  It's not like we're in middle ages anymore. Russian gouverment did leave intentionally Crimean region to Ukraine, with that they had a large voting power inside Ukraine and invested only in Russian settled parts of Ukraine. Now wonder if average ethnic Ukrainian is pissed of by no investment into actually ethnic Ukrainian parts plus having a large Russian minority that will influence elections for their own benefit which resulted in guys such as their current pro-Russian anti-Ukrainian government. Just to make myself clear, if it was other way around and Ukrainians would politically dominate Russians and would cause trouble in their country i would also support Russians because i just believe that is rational and healthy way of thinking…

It has nothing to do with religion, it's just politics.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Look, I think I'm really well-intentioned to the Ukrainians; consider them as close Slavic Orthodox-Christian

Not all Ukrainians are Orthodox. Greek Catholics also exist in the country but we all just call ourselves Ukrainians anyway unlike in the Balkans where a lot of your national identity comes from your religions (Catholic,Orthodox,Muslim)
    Most Ukrainians are Atheists anyway I think.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Russian gouverment did leave intentionally Crimean region to Ukraine, with that they had a large voting power inside Ukraine and invested only in Russian settled parts of Ukraine. Now wonder if average ethnic Ukrainian is pissed of by no investment into actually ethnic Ukrainian parts plus having a large Russian minority that will influence elections for their own benefit which resulted in guys such as their current pro-Russian anti-Ukrainian government. Just to make myself clear, if it was other way around and Ukrainians would politically dominate Russians and would cause trouble in their country i would also support Russians because i just believe that is rational and healthy way of thinking…

According to statistics Ukrainians make up 77,8 % and Russians make up 17,3 % of Ukrainian population. All Ukrainian presidents have been non Russian. Most of people in the above list are non Russians too.
    Народні депутати України
    So who can make the pro Russian political dominance in Ukraine (presuming their elections system works)? Only Ukrainians themselves.

Anonymous

Additionally, I'm not sure at all that these politics are exactly pro Russian and not just pro Kremlin. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.