Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The results for President Viktor Yanukovych’s much-trumpeted campaign against corruption are in – a drop of 18 places in a leading global ranking.

Ukraine now sits alongside the Central African Republic, Congo, Uganda and Tajikistan in 152nd place of 183 countries in Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index on Dec. 1.

Ukraine scored 2.3 in Transparency International’s 10-point scale, falling in the “highly corrupt” group of countries.

That’s sobering news for Yanukovych, who made fighting corruption a top campaign pledge and recently said corrupt officials are “increasingly feeling” the effects of new legislation.

Yanukovych has formed a much-lauded anti-corruption committee and pushed through legislative changes designed to combat graft.

But many in and outside of Ukraine say that the nation has only become more corrupt under his rule, and has slid deeper toward kleptocracy and authoritarianism.

“Transparency International urges Viktor Yanukovych to fully make use of his powers as president of Ukraine and head [a] real fight against corruption offenders,” said TORO, a corruption watchdog in Kirovohrad and Transparency International’s national contact in Ukraine

“Ukraine in the year 2011 is on the way to corruption abyss,” the organization said.

The president’s press service refused to comment, referring the Kyiv Post instead to the president’s official website. The website had not addressed Transparency’s report by the time the Kyiv Post went to press. A spokeswoman for Yanukovych could not be reached.

The Group of States Against Corruption (GRECO), a Council of Europe body to which Ukraine has belonged since 2006, on Nov. 30 urged Ukraine to increase its efforts to combat bribery and create greater transparency of political funding.

“Provisions on public sector bribery needed expanding to cover non-material gain, private sector bribery and trading in influence were not fully addressed, and improvements were needed on sanctions,” GRECO said in their third corruption monitoring report on Ukraine.

At a June 8 meeting of the National Anti-Corruption Committee, Yanukovych said that corruption robs the state budget of some $2.5 billion in revenues annually. On top of that, Yanukovych said, improper government spending robs the state of additional billions of dollars.

Through corrupt dealings in the sphere of public procurement, from 10 to 15 percent of the state budget ends up in the pockets of officials. That is, $7.4 billion,” Yanukovych said in June. “That’s why in the last 15 months we have worked hard on the eradication of corruption.”

Yanukovych has faced increased criticism inside and outside Ukraine for trying to present attempts of political persecution against his opponents as genuine attempts at cracking down on corruption.
    Referring to the Transparency International corruption ranking, Hryhoriy Nemyria, an adviser to jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymosheko, asked: “Is this the result of Mr. Yanukovych’s anti-corruption campaign?”

For their part, citizens need to continue demanding better performance from their leaders, the Transparency report said.

Transparency’s rating is comprised of 17 data sources. The surveys and assessments used to compile the index include questions relating to the bribery of public officials, kickback in public procurement, embezzlement of public funds, and questions that probe the strength and effectiveness of public-sector anti-corruption efforts.

Anonymous

I think Yanykovich is doing the best that he can under the present circumstances.  Too bad he has to contend with the same enemies that Khmelnitsky had to 400 years earlier!

Anonymous

Ah, I see, your mind is again in some fairyland ::)

Yanukovych is Moscow’s corrupt puppet and an enemy of the Ukrainian nation.

Anonymous

The east-west split in Ukraine is covert engineering of former KGB (aka Putinites) designed to weaken Ukraine. They did this in Georgia with South Ossetia by giving Ossetians Russian passports, then stirring up trouble and responding to an internal Georgian matter as if it were an international incident. Russia needs a foothold in the Caucus and in Ukraine, and Putin is not willing to achieve this via cooperation, but by duress.

Yanukovych may be "doing his best" but think of what "his best" is meant to be.

Anonymous

Exactly. That’s the strategy of Moscow’s ZOG-government – divide and rule.

Anonymous

The corruption index is a bit of a joke.  In my city, you have to pay off the city council in order to get land rezoned for condominium or residential use and yet my city ranks near the top as being the least corrupt.  Likewise, construction corporations have long ago paid off politicians to introduce bogus regulation laws which prohibits anyone but those with degrees from trade schools to build homes.

Meanwhile, back in the 1880s, a lot of homes were built without supervision and still stand and are arguably better than modern homes (which must follow regulation) built in a half month's time.

The difference with Ukraine and in many poorer countries, since there isn't as much money to go around, it's more noticable when billions go missing.  Billions and Trillions go missing, especially in the United States (see Federal Reserve's 9 trillion missing) and most people aren't aware of this.  Because in the end, even if half or more of the money goes missing, the job is still completed.

Corruption in most countries will never go away.  As for Ukraine, it'll cease being a problem when people stop caring about a few billions lost because the country is making billions more.

Anonymous

Khmelnitsky also worked for Moscow, didn’t he?  How history repeats itself!

Anonymous

Khmelnitsky also worked for Moscow, didn’t he?  How history repeats itself!

No, he didn’t. He was betrayed by the Tsar with the Treaty of Pereyaslav which forced Ukraine and the Ukrainian Cossacks under Moscovian rule, he never had the intention of fighting for Moscow. He wanted his nation to be free, that’s all.

Anonymous

Well, whoever he was working for, at least he pushed the Poles back into their place.

Anonymous

I think that “his best” would be to retain the east bank of the Dnepier River, and the Krim, as part of the Orthhodox block. But I’m sure that this would not happen without the desire and consent of the people living there. I for one, who has recently travelled there, see much hope for Yanukovych’s ambitions. The people in Donetsk and Kherson referr to their money as Roubles even when speaking to strangers as myself!

The east/west divide is not something of Putin’s or Moscovies making.
    The “east – west” split was accomplished by the missionaries of the Roman Catholic Church. They arrived under the protection of the Polish-Lithuanian allience. Before they arrived all of the People in Ukraine and Belo-Russ were of “one Greek Orthodox faith.” The western parts of Orthodox Slavdom were tricked and torn off from their breathern. The Pope in Rome told the priests to just continue doing the same religious rites and no one will notice anything. Meanwhile their top Church hierarchy was sending thier money and cowtowing down to Rome.

Anonymous

When the Slavs accepted Christianity they were “tricked and torn off from their brethren.” With Original Slavic Faith, all Slavs would be closer today than with any Semitic belief system.

Anonymous

You can’t be serious? A Slav supporting Georgia’s mentally unstable dictator. Even non Slavic nationalists in western Europe supported Moscow during this crisis. 
    Russia stiring trouble with Georgia simply doesn’t fly my friend. Everyone knows who started the ‘trouble’, it was the insane American puppet Sakashvili, of course he terribly miscalculated by overplaying his hand, hoping that his NWO friends in Washington would come to the rescue.

Russia had every right to give the Ossetians Russian passports as they wanted nothing to do with Georgia.

Ukraine on the other hand will weaken itself by attempting to cozy up to NATO and the Americans, this will be the worst possible path for Ukraine to take and extremely dangerous. Constantly provoknig Russia while carrying out all the dictates of the EU and America is not a responsible policy for any government in Kiev that really cares about its people.

Just to add that I am not a fan of Yanukovych but he is probably the lesser evil at this stage as there are no real good options.

Anonymous

Ukrainian nationalists sided with Georgia and they were right. Just because some people in the west who know shit about how things are going in Eastern Europe supported Russia’s position (because Putin is presented as an antagonist to the west) doesn’t mean it was right.

You do not really think Kokoity/Kokoyev and Putin are any better than Saakashvili and his American allies? Putin’s Russia is the same shit as the United States. Why do you believe that Russian ZOG is any better than American ZOG?

Russia has no right to exploit the hopes of a people for its own interests. Georgians and Ossetians were never given the chance to solve this problem on their own on the diplomatic way because of Russia’s pushing.

Just to add that I am not a fan of Yanukovych but he is probably the lesser evil at this stage as there are no real good options.

At the moment, the worst possible path for Ukraine to take is the status quo. I don’t think you as a russophile can truly judge what’s good for Ukraine.

Anonymous

To Daniel Philipoff:

Please stop polluting the Ukrainian section. Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of reading the same babble from you over and over again.

Anonymous

Yes. This is the key point. Putin is just continuing the Czarist path of empire that the USSR continued before him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Fia
  • Tujev
  • Jan Pat II
  • Nefario