• This topic has 37 voices and 112 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

There’s a lot of people propagating that Vegetarian food is natural choice for human beings as we are by their view Herbivores. However many don’t agree with such postition. <br /><br /><br /><u><strong>Reasons for Vegetarianism:</strong></u><br />1) Your health: prevent disease. Meat-eating has been linked with cancer, heart disease, strokes, diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis, kidney stones, and many other devastating diseases. By eliminating meat from your diet you can take a crucial step towards a long life of health and happiness.<br /><br />2) Increased energy and endurance: A vegetarian diet improves your stamina, concentration, and sense of well-being. In one study, athletes who switched to a vegetarian diet improved their endurance to almost 3 times as much as those who remained carnivorous.<br /><br />3) Avoid toxic food contaminants: Flesh foods are loaded with dangerous poisons and contaminants such as hormones, herbicides and pesticides, and antibiotics. As these toxins are all fat-soluble, they concentrate in the fatty flesh of the animals. Not to mention the viruses, bacteria and parasites such as salmonella, trichinella and other worms, and toxoplasmosis parasites.<br /><br />4) Humans are by design vegetarian: our flat teeth are perfect for grinding grains and vegetables, not for tearing apart animal flesh. Similarly, our hands are designed for gathering, not for flesh-ripping. Our saliva contains the enzyme alpha-amylase, the sole purpose of which is to digest the complex carbohydrates in plant foods. (This enzyme is not found in the saliva of carnivores.) Basically we have all the right apparatus to consume vegetarian products, and none of the right apparatus for flesh foods.<br /><br /><br />5) Care for the environment: by improperly using animals for food, we are eating ourselves off the planet. The raising of animals specifically to kill them and eat them has resulted in incredible waste and devastation of our precious resources. Just one example of the consequences is the fact that due to plundering our farmlands to fatten animals for slaughter, over 4 million acres of cropland are being lost to erosion in this country every year.<br /><br /><br />6) Help end world hunger: every day forty thousand children on this planet needlessly starve to death. According to the Department of Agriculture statistics, one acre of land can grow 20,000 pounds of potatoes. That same acre of land, when used to grow cattlefeed, can produce less than 165 pounds of edible cow flesh.<br /><br /><br />7) Become a more peaceful person: when we consume animal flesh products we are necessarily at odds with nature and our fellow living beings. Consumption of flesh foods has been scientifically linked with violent and aggressive behavior.<br /><br /><br />8.) Have compassion for animals: animals who are raised for slaughter needlessly experience incredible suffering throughout their life and death. Many people try not to think of the torturous experiences of the animal whose flesh ended up in their hamburger or on their dinner table. But if it is distasteful to think about, consider what it is like to experience it.<br /><br /><br />9) Vegetarianism is moral and ethical: give the devastating consequences of meat eating on an individual, social and ecological level, as thinking, caring beings we should choose vegetarianism. Many great philosophers such as Plato, Socrates, Leo Tolstoy, and George Bernard Shaw have taught the morality of vegetarianism.<br /><br /><br />10) Animals are God’s property and have a right to life: the living beings temporarily encaged in animal bodies are not here for us to harm and exploit. We are meant to act as caretakers and protectors of animals and the planet, not exploiters and killers. Many world religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, and Jainists all teach that eating animal flesh is wrong.<br /><br /><br /><u><strong>Reasons against Vegetarianism:</strong></u><br /><br /> Learn What is Dangerous About Being a Vegetarian or Vegan<br />There are a few medications I’ve had to take in the past that interacted poorly with animal proteins. I don’t know exactly what the medical terminology for this is, but this medication bonded with certain types of<br /> proteins, particularly animal proteins, and what I was told was that the medication, if eaten with animal proteins, would not work.<br /><br />In fact, one of the medications actually said eating salami, cured meets, and certain cheese could be hazardous to my health. That meant, for the time I was taking the medications, I had to go to a vegetarian diet. Fortunately for me, it wasn’t a strict vegetarian diet and I could still have eggs and milk.<br /><br />However, one thing my nutritionist informed me at the time was that being on a strict vegetarian diet, that is a near-vegan diet, can be very dangerous if you don’t do it properly.<br /><br />If you follow a strict vegetarian diet, you are likely not going to get enough protein or fat in your diet.<br /><br />Not All Fat Is Bad<br /><br />We absolutely must have fat in our diets. Vitamins and nutrients can’t be absorbed without some soluble fat in our diet. Additionally, and this is particularly true for babies and children, fat is absolutely necessary for proper growth and brain development.<br /><br />The important part is to cut out trans fats and keep the good fats. Sunflower oils, canola oil and if you are vegetarian but not vegan and you do eat fish, then fish oils. Fatty acids, your Omegas, are good fats for your brain, your body and your diet!<br /><br />Protein is Essential – Vegetarian Diets are Protein Deficient<br /><br />Most vegetarian diets are deficient in protein, because most protein comes from meat and animal products, like eggs and chicken and other meats.<br /><br />There are ways to add protein to a vegetarian diet though without adding meats and without drinking those nasty vegetarian protein shakes or taking those nasty protein pills. Natural protein is always the best. Nuts and seeds can protein good plant-based protein. Legumes are also high in protein. Not sure what a legume is? Here you go:<br /><br />* Garbanzo beans<br />* Kidney beans<br />* Lentils<br />* Lima beans<br />* Navy beans<br />* Soybeans<br />* Split peas<br /><br />Some other sources of protein for vegetarian include:<br /><br />* Artichokes<br />* Beets<br />* Broccoli<br />* Brussels sprouts<br />* Cabbage<br />* Cauliflower<br />* Cucumbers<br />* Eggplant<br />* Green peas<br />* Green pepper<br />* Kale<br />* Lettuce<br />* Mushrooms

Anonymous

Nothing can replace good lunch full of meat :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Yep, neither a HEARTH ATTACK :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Yep, neither a HEARTH ATTACK :D

Ready to risk one  ;D

Anonymous

Very interesting. In recent times I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian (not vegan), and also including milk, eggs and similar. My problems are mostly a family that eats meat, ignorance about diet to follow and nutrition informations. Does anyone know how to begin moving closer to a vegetarian diet? As you can slowly give up meat? Obviously I can go to an nutritionist, but frankly I don't trust what the "scientists" say. Before they say something, then after they change their opinion, and so on… Not even they know what is best for us. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Are you such a gourmand? :D

Neni mäso – neni Sturm! (No meat – no Storm!)  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    As you can slowly give up meat? Obviously I can go to an nutritionist, but frankly I don't trust what the "scientists" say. Before they say something, then after they change their opinion, and so on… Not even they know what is best for us. Any suggestions?

I haven't started a Vegetarian diet, neither i will i think, but i have been doing calculations and some research over the food  and what fit's my needs after the trainings…in general, i have thrown out red meat consumption(since it's not as healthy) as much as possible and replaced it with white meat (chicken and fish), but i still do consume red-meat but not even nearly as often as before. I Started to consume a lot of almonds and walnuts on a daily basis in the morning and evening as well, that's an substitute for all the junk food i'd eat in general and it's highly recommended to eat them everyday…and i'm eating as much fruit as i can, especially in winter time…when you would sum it all up i probably eat around 40% more then an average person, thought due to trainings i burn it all up so luckily i can afford such rich and diverse menu on a daily basis.  Oh yeah, and when frying something it's always Olive oil that's used.

How it really looks:

1) Wake up, i grab a hand of almonds, make myself a tea or a glass of milk, and grab a apple or an orange.
    2) Before i get to work i get something from a bakery like bread-fingers
    3) For lunch i usually try to consume some meat, usually lighter stuff as chicken, fish thought occasionally when i can't resist anymore i get something with a bit more fat, if occasionally it's actually healthy, and with heavy vegetable portion of course.
    4) 1-2 hours after lunch i'm off for some fruit, usually 2-3 oranges, apples, banana or something like that.
    5) I arrive back home, again grab a hand of almonds, tea.
    6) Around 19:00 dinner time, often it's milk and serials or a sandwitch, and of course some fruit after that.

I'd say that i'm trying to have balanced meals over the day with lower consumption of meat and higher consumption of vegetables, fruit, and nuts.

Quote:

Are you such a gourmand? :D

Neni mäso – neni Sturm! (No meat – no Storm!)  ;D

I am, and i'm having a hard time :D

Anonymous

Now a days we are not getting good vegetables. These vegetables are grown with chemicals, so no such sufficient nutrients are present. Being a vegetarian and non-vegetarian doesn't be good or bad but just eat healthy.

Anonymous

I don't believe one should only focus on it, but indeed they are very important. Not my place to judge though if someone wants to be one or not.

But better vegetarians than vegans or fruitarians.  ;D

Anonymous

Fruitarianism? Is there really anything like that?
    By any means I bet, this has nothing in common with Fruit Arianism. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

I don't know. But I've heard about a Taoist diet. For 5 days you can only drink water and eat rice cakes (or how are called). The 6th day you can eat also fruit and vegetables. I've don't tried this one and I doubt I ever try :P

Maybe being vegetarian is too exaggerated. But if we think that eating meat can lead to deterioration of the earth, should we give a rule. Not only for the world but also for ourselves. In fact, we need to find a good balance between meat, fruit and vegetables. For myself, I know that I don't maintain this balance, perhaps because I never found, and is bad for me. We must consider the pros and cons described by Perun. Being vegetarian can be useful for our body and damaging at the same time. Eat only meat and similar is just destroying our body. I think the only solution would be a diet (as a balanced food) that integrates, as I said before, meat, fruit and vegetables.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Hehehhe.

Fruitarians are those idiots who believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings, so they don't eat them either.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Hehehhe.

Fruitarians are those idiots who believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings, so they don't eat them either.

Serious? So what the heck to they eat then?

Anonymous

They eat apparently fruit only once they have fallen off trees (and are still not alive). I'd like to see how they apply that to vegetables buried in soil though. ;D Bloody idiots.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    They eat apparently fruit only once they have fallen off trees (and are still not alive). I'd like to see how they apply that to vegetables buried in soil though. ;D Bloody idiots.

I can't believe it… stupidity spread so fast…

Whatever, here are an news about Angelina Jolie talks about vegan diet, she said: "I was a vegan for a long time, and it nearly killed me. I found I was not getting enough nutrition."

Here the news: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/are-veggie-kids-missing-out-2528042.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.