• This topic has 2 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Beneška Slovenija, Benečija by locals, or Venetian Slovenia historically known as Schiavonia Veneta by Venetians and Sclavanie in Friulian was is a land in modern extreme part of northeastern Italy which was historically under banner of Venetian Republic nevertheless it operated as an extreamly autonomous land composed of 36 sosednja's (municipalities) which had their representatives in two so called s Banka's (kind of shires) the Banka of Landar and Banka of Mjersa. Each with its own Great Župan or kind of shire managers but better description would be sheriff maybe. :) Besides seperate gatherings both Banka's also had unified gatherings under big linden tree in village of Trčet. Gatherings or Seje were conducted at big stone tables called Laštra.

Laštra from village of Bjača.

Banka

Basic community was village Župa which was managed by village Župan who managed village together with village representatives or house masters which conducted village gatherings or sesions with their village župan. This group of village house masters with with village župan was so called sosednja or soseska. These 36 sosednja's together composed two banka's or great župa's. Banka of Landar was composed of 21 sosednja's and Banka of Mjersa of 15. All župan's of each sosednja's would gather under each banka's linden tree around stone table called Laštra which was below lush linden tree's branches. Mjersin banka had  its own laštra in Gorenja Mjersa at church of Saint Anthony and Landar laštra was in Bjača.

United gatherings were conducted at church of Saint Kvirin near Špetr Slovenov where they had sesions every year on day of Saint Peter and Paul. There they elected twelve commissioners the so called dvanajstija (twelve men group) which together with grand major composed inner committee or board. They also keept important documents with priviledges, patents and statuts in wooden coffers.

Laštra in village of Tarčent.

Banka's also had the benefit and priviledge of local judicary autonomy which was previously mentioned dvanjastija or twelve folk judges who's jurisdiction was from civil to blood court. Apeal could be made from one banka to another. Besides this people of banka's also had other priviledges like exemption from taxes and such but in return people had to preform patrol duties of all highland passes along border of Goriška (Gorizia) land which was under different often rival rulers. For this border supervision there was a need for around 200 patrol men each day. Apart from that taking care of food supplies and such was their own responsibility.

Border position with enemies Goriška (Gorizia) is one of causes for which Venetian Republic expanded older rights of Beneška Slovenija which was thus sort of military frontier. Benečani or inhabitants of Venetian Slovenia were themself responsible to cover costs for defence of passes in the area most notably at Podonesec, Livk, Klobučar, etc. all along towards upper Soča valley. After second Habsburg-Venetian war Venetian, Doge noted that people of these valleys showed great brawery with their blood and thus great loyalty to the republic. In times of peace only 200 patrolmen were needed but in case of war all men were responsible and had to participe for defence. For this reasons they were free of all state burdens. Autonomy was so great that Schiavonia Veneta or Sclavanie operated almost as it's own entity.

Laštra

On all laštra's or stone tables found is  carved some kind of magical symbol which for now expercts until now haven't able to explain. It is some kind of ancient mysterious symbol. Square in it's strict lines evokes sense for mystery and occult power.

Anonymous

those carvings look like a plan of pyramid  ;D

Quote:
    Apeal could be made from one banka to another

so primary jurisdiction was over specific bankas, but appellative was shared over both bankas? thats not a bad concept  😮

Anonymous

Ok i made reply long ago but i deleted it becouse since then i found that those Laštre carvings are indeed real which i wasn't sure before. Infact i was kinda suspecting it was some mad made up thing by the author on some forum. But it seems they are mentioned by Bogo Grafenauer who was a trustworthy historian. So far i don't find he did any specific research on nature of those pyramid carvings. ;D Just mentiones them and gives a picture for us;

Quote:
    so primary jurisdiction was over specific bankas, but appellative was shared over both bankas? thats not a bad concept  😮

Yes. :) So this is not common practice, historically speaking? ??? Would such law be applied in modern state would it bare any obsticle or violation of modern democratic system anyhow?

Anonymous

hmm, i dont think this was typical for continental european law. not sure though.

problems would probably be mainly organizational.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.